Gaming Colors! 3D Drawing Techniques

jrk190

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so, In my opinion, I've always been a pretty good artist. However, I am no good at drawing on the 3DS. When I had Flipnote, I was horrible at drawing, too. What are some good methods for drawing in Colors! 3D?

Edit: Can A Mod fix the topic title?

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make a rough outline before anything, then erase it with low opacity so its really light, then on another layer draw over whatever it is you're drawing, but with clean lines.
Unless you already do that, then I don't know.

I was the same when swapnote came out. But I have gotten pretty decent at drawing on a tiny screen after doing it for so many months, so just keep on practicing!

jimskeet2002

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yeah. This thread can be something good if people that are good at drawing drop their tips and tricks on drawing on a digital interface like colors 3d.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I wont say I'm a pro or anything but I draw quite a bit on my 3DS and I have found that sketching out your drawings with thick bold lines to get the shape and then smoothing it out with your eraser is the best way to get a quick outline. However my pictures also use a lot of color and little detail and proportion, so it works for me mostly because I focus on shape more then size, and worry about fixing my drawings later. If you use the more traditional way of sketching outlines and using shapes and all that fancy shit I would recommend you steadily draw those out and then erase since its so clean.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I do the same thing I do on paper, I sketch out everything and then smooth it out afterward. Here's a little WIP as an example.

vCb8P.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah same here, I do a rough outline of it. Than I smooth it out. Erase a few unwanted lines. Add colors and textures. And you could get something like this:
93046.png

Before anyone asks, I did draw it. XD
Another tip in general, whenever you do a drawing, take your time to do it. XD

LTK

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm shit at drawing but here's my process.

Step 1: fill background layer with a solid colour
Step 2: use a darker version of that colour and draw some outlines.
Step 3: on next layer fill in the base colours of what you drew. (no shading etc)
Step 4: add shading/light/details
Step 5: Use black on a low opacity/brush size and outline what you drew. Opacity set to 50% ish should look good.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah same here, I do a rough outline of it. Than I smooth it out. Erase a few unwanted lines. Add colors and textures. And you could get something like this:
93046.png

That's REALLY good, I'm never good at making characters from games (unless their simple like kirby, I make a damn good kirby)

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
93046.png

That's REALLY good, I'm never good at making characters from games (unless their simple like kirby, I make a damn good kirby)
Funny you say that, I started complex drawings by making Kirbys. XD
http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=32188
These are my drawings. XD

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
93046.png

http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=32188
LOL, no offense guy but the kirby you made sucks XD the shading I love and the eyes are awesome. Its just the arms XD but I see your point. Vaati is a big improvement though. I would like to show you more of my stuff but I'm in the middle of converting it all from my sketch books and my old DS (I had the orginal Colors! DS)

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Watch some Bob Ross.
This. The techniques that he uses are ideal for Colors; no, not trolling. The way that I have always enjoyed this homebrew is by starting with a basic pallette of 3 or 4 colors and creating a "wash" using varying opacities. Although I don't always have a clear idea of what I am about to "paint," the colors establish a "mood" and it's not long before and idea develops in the form of foreground. Before I know it, I've been glued to my DS screen for hours trying to replicate an image that is embedded in my mind. I hope the final realese of this app includes a built in mp3 that can play tracks from the SD card as you draw, because a little bit of Miles Davis in the headphones enhances it's replay value tremendously.

jimskeet2002

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have found a "trick" to make the colors more realistic. I lay the basic color with a the solid brush tool. Then I do some shading with the blur brush tool, also playing with opacity, and then I chose the 3rd brush (don't know how it is called) with a darker color and and just touching repeatedly on the area. Not dragging the stylous cause it would cause lines to be created. This way i add darker pixels all over the place which kinda gives it a more realistic appearance.
U can check it out on this painting I did yesterday
Loving Devil

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
93046.png

http://colorslive.co...page=1&id=32188
LOL, no offense guy but the kirby you made sucks XD the shading I love and the eyes are awesome. Its just the arms XD but I see your point. Vaati is a big improvement though. I would like to show you more of my stuff but I'm in the middle of converting it all from my sketch books and my old DS (I had the orginal Colors! DS)
Hahaha don't worry, it's not my best Kirby dude, considering this was my first drawing on Colors DS. XD I made others that I didn't post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Mario and Luigi's Bowsers inside Story