Hacking Coding vWii 3-core support - everything you need to know.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Even with all three cores enabled (albeit at the fixed 729 MHz) it would be a boon for emulation, notably PSX and N64, but even so, it will be quite the daunting task. Still, I can see it being pulled off.

Only if the emulators were rewritten to some degree as you'll know.
Wiimc or other media players may take advantage of this too and I can think of a few other types of homebrew that could perhaps use extra calculations, but imho the devs that work on these don't seem interested enough, well not now anyway.

Maybe they will wait for a WiiU exploit to use the many extras that will offer, rather than start on things in vWii mode.

Thinking about what emulators could use this well, gb/gba/gbc multi player seems an idea, or DS.

Maxternal, your doing great imho, I remember how humble you were at the start and you yourself doubted how far you could go with this. It just takes lots of time, you will get anywhere you want to go in life m8 :)

Reactions: Maxternal

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only if the emulators were rewritten to some degree as you'll know.
Wiimc or other media players may take advantage of this too and I can think of a few other types of homebrew that could perhaps use extra calculations, but imho the devs that work on these don't seem interested enough, well not now anyway.

Maybe they will wait for a WiiU exploit to use the many extras that will offer, rather than start on things in vWii mode.

Thinking about what emulators could use this well, gb/gba/gbc multi player seems an idea, or DS.

Maxternal, your doing great imho, I remember how humble you were at the start and you yourself doubted how far you could go with this. It just takes lots of time, you will get anywhere you want to go in life m8 :)
Maxternal does not talk himself up. The project began with Marcan's blog and Maxternal took it on. A lot of good people have pitched in with ideas and testing. It seems like progress is consistent and more updates are being given. Thanks for the updates.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have LAwesome learning project. editing to do. It still has a lot of the old stuff, too, so many parts still look the same, too.
I was able to pick out new details and see the progress. Awesome learning project Maxternal;-). Great to see Comes nd others helping. Eventually the opening thread will show project completed and give a tutorial. Hope you and the other guys have success.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to pick out new details and see the progress. Awesome learning project Maxternal;-). Great to see Comes nd others helping. Eventually the opening thread will show project completed and give a tutorial. Hope you and the other guys have success.

Lol just saw it:rofl2:

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The other thread I think ninja started had updates, and I am sad those updates stopped:-( Nice to get a glimpse though. Good luck guys.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
OP
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I thought I'd add a download to the googlecode page. It's just the files for HBC and the WAD for the BootMii IOS (hopefully not needed in the future) so you'd still have to do the work making the Linux partition and such but I thought things had been quiet for long enough that it was worth letting people play around with something.

To check it out, the googlecode page is http://gbadev.googlecode.com/

(Google doesn't allow download tabs on new projects anymore but I added the download page as a wiki. The link to it's on the front page, though)

Here's some details about what this entails :
  • ppcboot.elf included is the MINI Linux kernel from the code from the googlecode page
  • you can replace it with any other ppcboot.elf and the boot.dol should run it as well
  • if you replace it with the mikep5 kernel it should still run but when run on Wii U it complains a lot during startup and presents some other errors
  • you can add arguments to the meta.xml file. debug=1 will show a lot more text on screen during startup and bootmii=0 will try to run the ppcboot.elf file WITHOUT using the bootmii IOS. Unfortunately, the included linux kernel will not work without that IOS but other ppcboot.elf files do work (including mikep5)
  • This is meant to be run from SD. If it is not, it will look for the ppcboot.elf file in SD:/bootmii/ppcboot.elf unless you specify another location in an argument but it MUST be on SD
Any questions are welcome as well.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
e="Maxternal, post: 4783552, member: 288412"]I thought I'd add a download to the googlecode page. It's just the files for HBC and the WAD for the BootMii IOS (hopefully not needed in the future) so you'd still have to do the work making the Linux partition and such but I thought things had been quiet for long enough that it was worth letting people play around with something.

To check it out, the googlecode page is http://gbadev.googlecode.com/

(Google doesn't allow download tabs on new projects anymore but I added the download page as a wiki. The link to it's on the front page, though)

Here's some details about what this entails :
  • ppcboot.elf included is the MINI Linux kernel from the code from the googlecode page
  • you can replace it with any other ppcboot.elf and the boot.dol should run it as well
  • if you replace it with the mikep5 kernel it should still run but when run on Wii U it complains a lot during startup and presents some other errors
  • you can add arguments to the meta.xml file. debug=1 will show a lot more text on screen during startup and bootmii=0 will try to run the ppcboot.elf file WITHOUT using the bootmii IOS. Unfortunately, the included linux kernel will not work without that IOS but other ppcboot.elf files do work (including mikep5)
  • This is meant to be run from SD. If it is not, it will look for the ppcboot.elf file in SD:/bootmii/ppcboot.elf unless you specify another location in an argument but it MUST be on SD
Any questions are welcome as well.[/quote]

3 cores working simultaneously?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
OP
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
3 cores working simultaneously?
Not yet, no. What this has that other public homebrew can't do is
- it can run a ppcboot.elf file under mini on Wii U
- it can load said file without using the bootmii IOS
- it inits the cores and leaves them running (even if only one core is actually running the app)
- it can show debug on screen from the ARM processor during startup (since Wii U can't use USB gecko normally)
- Linux can reboot the console on Wii U (so you don't have to pull the plug to get out of Linux)

It's not a HUGE list but I thought I'd at least share what we had so far.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, smp support, right? I thought shadowlag came in here talking about having what was needed. With everyone helping I am surprised that smp support was not completed. Not as insult or anything. Thanks for sharing Max.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: 😭