PS1/2 Cnet:MS should acquire Sony's gaming device? noooo!! thx

DarkRey

still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
QUOTE said:
From Sony's side, the deal is a no-brainer. Over the last few years, the company has presided over the worst degradation in value the games division has ever seen and it's limping along trying desperately to turn things around. And now that its focus is squarely planted on Blu-ray above all else, why wouldn't it take the hefty price Microsoft would be willing to pay, right its wrongs, and make Blu-ray available on two gaming platforms?

It may sound radical, but a consolidated video game industry would be best for two of the big three. And now, we wait to see if they agree.
source:http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10007014-17.html

pray that this doesnt happen!!
though i would love to play Halo 2/3/4/5 and gears of wars 1/2/3 on Play360
tongue.gif

ps3_sad.jpg

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a guy's opinion, it will never happen, and if memory serves, Halo was a trilogy.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you know what id love the day when the big 3 come together as one, throw out a console to the public which incorporates the best of all three, and we all get the best games on one platform. Simple....end of!

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
kristianity77 said:
you know what id love the day when the big 3 come together as one, throw out a console to the public which incorporates the best of all three, and we all get the best games on one platform. Simple....end of!
No competition would mean no progress.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
why wouldnt it? We still have the right to buy or to not buy games which means if the developers dont put the effort in, they dont get the money. And hardware wise they would still have to be on a par with PCs / arcades etc or people just wont bother.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Harsky said:
kristianity77 said:

I am sure my car, DVD player, PC, TV, writeable media, phone, power socket.......
They all fundamentally do the same thing (OK a fair bit of leeway in the case of the PC)

Re: No more halo, it seems to be a money spinner (something MS knows how to work above all else) so I am sure spinoff games (set before, after, alongside, parallel universe/what if) or even remakes will appear.
I hope it does not mind you and they take the lessons learned and make a really good game but business types are rarely one to let something run a course and finish.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Harsky said:
kristianity77 said:
As others have said, at least graphically there'd still be progress since they have to keep up with PCs still.
And gameplay wise there'd be even more direct competition between game makers so quality would have to shoot up and shovelware wouldn't have any place to stand.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i think that one day it will happen. Why are they all competing against each other? Its gotten to the stage now where a console failure puts the company in financial trouble. Whether its one console on the market or 3 or 4, videogaming isnt going away its here to stay thats plain to see.

Smaller developers would be able to hit a bigger audience from day one, bringing in more revenue, which allows bigger and better games to be made. Nintendo are the smaller of the 3 companies i would say. So imagine if they were pumping out the next mario or zelda accross a single worldwide console format? Were talking millions upon millions of sales per A class title.

I think its got to come to this at some point in time as the dev costs get higher, console prices get higher, risks become higher etc.

I for one would be first in the queue if in something like 2012, Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony made a joint console, the be all and end all with input from each company.

Dont say it cant happen and wont happen, the older ones among us never thought the day would come where sega would release a game for a nintendo system. And if 15 odd years ago someone said that Sony would make a games console that for a decade (PS1 and PS2) would rule the world, you would have been locked up.

Personlly, im all for it

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Competetion is good. Look at the price drops, look at the good quality first party games, etc.

As for Halo, it's supposed to be finished but doesn't mean its spinoffs will not appear.

Shovelware will keep appearing regardless of 3-way or monopoly. Regardless of market share garbage games keep getting made, that's for sure.

Personally, looking at Windows series, one giant versus not-giants won't do users much good. I'd rather have current competetion.

Why are there presidential elections (well if your country doesn't have a president just take the concept) when all that money and manpower can be used in some far more beneficial areas?

Only if all three companies could agree, which I'd say very unlikely.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would the controller look like. I see it with a mass glob of buttons 1, 2, A, B, C, Z, X, [], O, /\, Y, start, select, start/select not to mention the shoulder buttons. Did I miss anything

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kristianity77 said:
i think that one day it will happen. Why are they all competing against each other? Its gotten to the stage now where a console failure puts the company in financial trouble. Whether its one console on the market or 3 or 4, videogaming isnt going away its here to stay thats plain to see.

Smaller developers would be able to hit a bigger audience from day one, bringing in more revenue, which allows bigger and better games to be made. Nintendo are the smaller of the 3 companies i would say. So imagine if they were pumping out the next mario or zelda accross a single worldwide console format? Were talking millions upon millions of sales per A class title.

I think its got to come to this at some point in time as the dev costs get higher, console prices get higher, risks become higher etc.

I for one would be first in the queue if in something like 2012, Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony made a joint console, the be all and end all with input from each company.

Dont say it cant happen and wont happen, the older ones among us never thought the day would come where sega would release a game for a nintendo system. And if 15 odd years ago someone said that Sony would make a games console that for a decade (PS1 and PS2) would rule the world, you would have been locked up.

Personlly, im all for it
it cant happen because its called a monopoly which is illegal

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As was mentioned DVD players all play DVDs but my one might output using a different method, upscale, have serious post processing, zoom........., my friends stills plays DVDs and does so very well although it lacks the extra features mine has but costs £30.

For the consoles there could be many things like amount/method of onboard storage, methods by which external storage could appear (proprietary, uncommon stuff like memory duo or more common like CF and SD), controller connection type (wired/wireless as well as connection type), form factor, price, firmware features aside from mandated ones (games+network say), network connection method, video output, sound output. Already we have multiple packages/skus for the PS3 and 360 and looking further back it was not all just one model from the customer perspective (sega released multiple versions of the master system and megadrive) and people seem to be OK with that.

Competition to make more powerful consoles than your opponent. Thus far no console has really been orders of magnitude above the competition in terms of performance (aside from perhaps the wii compared to the current consoles and some of the competition from the other console makers way back when), game developers are smart when it comes to wringing power from a system and the general public is not so smart at noticing when tricks are used (go slow in a wipeout game).

The other obvious area to debate with/use as an example would be PC hardware, all the big makers have a consortium or three to debate where they are heading/when to move to new methods and what standards should be (x84, x64, SSE1,2,3,3v2,4 or in video world what output method, directx, opengl) and competition is fierce and shows no signs of waning.

Also a monopoly is generally one company (or closely linked group of them with significant shared ownership) not one standard which is what people here are talking of. Not to mention when you have obvious monopolies like MS with windows and what have you even Europe can not really call them on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1