Hacking Clone a WBFS partition

Knocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I will be upgrading to a bigger drive soon and am wondering if there's a way to image the entire WBFS partition and restore it on the new drive. I would prefer not to "unrip" each gave individually.

Windows thinks WBFS is unformatted space, but maybe a third-party utility can do a raw dump and restore?

nicksasa

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
just clone your drive with "winhex" you will have an exact copy
smile.gif

Knocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am not going to experiment obtaining and installing different software. A lot of things work in theory. I would like to know if anyone has tried and confirmed any program to work with cloning a WBFS partition.

wiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linux "dd" will work, but if the target partition is larger than the source partition, the extra space is not seen and will be wasted.

SoCal Cal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on a Mac and would assume that the dd command would work, but not sure what exactly the syntax would be. Any help appreciated! Thanks! Cloning a 1TB to a 1TB...

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knocks said:
I will be upgrading to a bigger drive soon and am wondering if there's a way to image the entire WBFS partition and restore it on the new drive. I would prefer not to "unrip" each gave individually.

Windows thinks WBFS is unformatted space, but maybe a third-party utility can do a raw dump and restore?
Just use a WBFS app that supports direct on-the-fly WBFSWBFS.

shepe

Trophies
XP
Country
the dd command would look something like

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

this would copy the entire contents of sda to sdb but as has been previously mentioned it will also copy the partition table so you would be no better off for doing that unless you wanted to make a second WBFS partition on the drive but I dont know if any loaders support more than 1 partition?

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After dd'ing (which works, if someone has common sense he would knew that it works, but I also tested it) he could change the WBFS header to the bigger size (see the wbfs source for this). This is where WinHex (or an a mac dd+any hex editor/xcode) come into play.

jakejm79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did a WBFS to WBFS transfer between two external USB HDDs using WBFS Manager 3.0 by Alex DP. It worked fine and the partitions were different sizes.

xr_rider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WBFS Manager is the easiest. Load the existing drive in the top half(all games should show up). Then click the little arrow at the bottom left "drive-to-drive" Load the newly formatted FAT32 drive in the lower half(no games show up). Then click Clone button...easy...

doxola

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jakejm79 said:
I just did a WBFS to WBFS transfer between two external USB HDDs using WBFS Manager 3.0 by Alex DP. It worked fine and the partitions were different sizes.

I could never get that to work, for some reason. Whenever I select the 2nd drive, it would always give an error saying it was possibly in use. Had to go the Wii Backup Manager route and just copy selected titles.

EDIT:

After I used Wii Backup Manager, initially the drive was still not being recognized under WBFS Manager. Maybe turning it off and on (after formatting to wbfs) helps, because I disconnected the drive, connected it to my Wii, brought it back to add more games, then it could be seen by both applications.

So, in the end, it actually did work out just fine...just took some time to get there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F