Homebrew Clarification Thread - What is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustPingo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So recently 3 persons just dropped a bomb into the 3DS scene, and so a lot of stupid things have been understood. This thread is made to clarify things and destroy the bullshit.

• First of all, and most importantly: DO NOT UPDATE WHATEVER FIRMWARE YOU'RE ON; IF YOU HAVE *HAX. IF YOU DON'T, AND THE MOST RECENT FIRMWARE VERSION AVAILABLE IS STILL 10.3, UPDATE AND INSTALL MENUHAX. Thanks. It is recommended for you to get a way to access Homebrew Launcher as soon as possible.

• snshax is indeed a way to downgrade without NAND backup (and install legit CIAs) for firmware under 10.2 as it was patched with that version. This is N3DS-only and not a kernel exploit. However, this is not the only way to do it and it is not very useful anyway because of the following.

• memchunkhax2 is a new kernel11 exploit. This one works on every firmware up to and including 10.3. This allows downgrade (without NAND backup), legit CIA installation, a lot of good stuff (but not direct piracy). This is a new version of memchunkhax that was not properly fixed by Nintendo in 9.3. This works on 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, N3DS and N3DS XL.

• ntrcardhax is a kernel9 exploit, and this allows piracy (because of the control of ARM9). This exploit needs special hardware (something similar to the PassMe). This is basically an exploit of the fact that ARM9 handles NDS games. More or less. This works on 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, N3DS and N3DS XL. This is not 100% needed however as memchunkhax2 allows you to downgrade back to more vulnerable versions like 9.2.

• arm9loaderhax is a way to inject a payload directly into a N3DS bootrom (just after the the firm boot). This is like a CFW coldboot N3DS-only.

• There is also a way to calculate/bruteforce the constant used by the key scrambler and use that to generate missing KeyX for known normal (AES) keys + KeyY and bypass the keyscrambler all together, which is pretty cool to be honest. This is made to get more keys, nothing usable for the end user.

I think that's mostly it. Oh and by the way a certain smealum wants you to make homebrews.

FAQ
Q: What will this allow ?
A: memchunkhax2 gives ARM11 kernel access, and will allow downgrading to 9.2 for 9.3-10.3, on 2DS, 3DS and New 3DS. That means that it will allow CFW (so, piracy), almost-full speed emulators, CIA decryption, and more.

Q: How will this work ?

A: An homebrew using memchunkhax2 will be released for downgrading the firmware with CIA files.

Q: What will I need for this ?
A: A way to run the Homebrew Launcher for the current version you are in and the CIA files for downgrading to 9.0-9.2 for your region and your model (New3DS or 3DS). DO NOT REMOVE THEM BEFORE DOWNGRADING!

Q: Is it ready yet ?
A: No. It's still being worked on.

Q: When does it comes out ?
A: We can't give any ETA. Please be patient, it will be released at some point. Developers will give news about this.

Q: Where can I find these CIA packs ?
A: You can try downloading these with 3DNUS, or on that ISO site (Google is your friend).

Q: Who is working on this ?
A: @Steveice10, @TuxSH, @julian20, @mid-kid, @delebile, and @MassExplosion213 are team-working on memchunkhax2. @motezazer is helping them, too.

Q: Who found this ?
A: smealum found snshax, derrek found memchunkhax2 and plutoo found ntrcardhax and arm9loaderhax.

Q: Will this allow 9.5+ emuNAND on N3DS ?
A: No.

Q: Why can't I compile the source on the Steveice10's GitHub repository ?
A: It's not finished yet, and needs the last modifications on ctrulib.

Q: Will downgrade affect my console's data? Will I loose savegames/games/anything?
A: No. The downgrade only touches to the system itself. All your data is safe. However, downgrading to a firmware version under 9.3 will remove the support of badges on sysNAND.

Q: I want to ask something that is not in the FAQ, can I ?
A: Sure, but it has to be related to the topic. We're not talking about how to download games CIAs, how to install CFW... but questions related to the exploits.

If you want to say stupid shit or hype here is the right place to do it: http://gbatemp.net/threads/memchunkhax-2-and-snshax-hype-thread.407189/

Last edited by Mrrraou, , Reason: to make sure that people read it

Substance12

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thank you based JustPingo, sorry that you couldn't get to snshax before it was announced :(

Anyway... N3DS is master race now? And what would be better, downgrading and doing the classic bunch to install rxTools or do it on 10.3?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

arm9loaderhax N3DS-only?
awww

It's not like ctrbootloader is not a thing

Substance12

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I believe downgrading would be easier because ntrcardharx is a bit of a pain to execute. But future will tell.

Yeah, but didn't you say memchunkhax2 allows for CIA installation? Not going to upgrade anyway, glad I stayed on 10.1.

D

Deleted-236924

Thank you based JustPingo, sorry that you couldn't get to snshax before it was announced :(

Anyway... N3DS is master race now? And what would be better, downgrading and doing the classic bunch to install rxTools or do it on 10.3?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's not like ctrbootloader is not a thing

arm9loaderhax would let you pretty much permanently have coldboot for cfw without any extra things required.
Wouldn't have to worry about possibly accidentally updating sysnand. Could just power on and it'd boot directly to cfw, how cool would that be?
And if what I read on another thread is true then this could be similar to bootmii where even if you bricked you'd have a way to recover. CTRBootManager can't do that.

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
arm9loaderhax would let you pretty much permanently have coldboot for cfw without any extra things required.
Wouldn't have to worry about possibly accidentally updating sysnand. Could just power on and it'd boot directly to cfw, how cool would that be?
And if what I read on another thread is true then this could be similar to bootmii where even if you bricked you'd have a way to recover. CTRBootManager can't do that.
If you can have homemenuhax, keep using it. I think it's better, and safer.

D

Deleted-236924

If you can have homemenuhax, keep using it. I think it's better, and safer.
Maybe haha, I just want something like the PSP where you can have a full custom firmware installed directly to it and you never have to worry about an OFW (in the 3DS's case, sysnand) anymore.

JustPingo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe haha, I just want something like the PSP where you can have a full custom firmware installed directly to it and you never have to worry about an OFW (in the 3DS's case, sysnand) anymore.

Well if you have themehax directbooting to emuNAND that's the same result. And it's much safer to install.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"There is a way to get the key that blocks emuNAND 9.6+ on N3DS (it unlocks the new layer of security added to ARM9 bootrom on the N3DS)."

Is there any particular reason I would want to update my emuNAND at this point beyond 9.5? I've yet to come across any game that isn't playable on my emuNAND thanks to cryptofixes and the like. So beyond that, are there any features that have been added to the 3DS beyond the 9.5 firmware? The one thing I've seen (That doesn't interest me) is that your badges can be applied to folders or something like that. Unless there is a more substantial new feature, I'm just not sure why I should even bother updating my emuNAND beyond 9.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking