Hacking cIOScorp, Hackmii and a "nearly" virgin Wii

sweetzen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It seems I've made several big mistakes here: 1. I installed cIOScorp to use the disc channel to load backups; 2. after reading about all the things cIOScorp changes, I attempted to remove it (using cIOS Downgrader, the official Nintendo upgrade, and AnyTitleDeleter); 3. I updated to 4.1U, and did not downgrade again before testing a fresh installation of Hackmii.

In any case, now what I've got is a "nearly" virgin NTSC Wii (LU58), running 4.1U, without Hackmii or the Homebrew channel. It runs fine (for now, at least), but obviously I can't do anything with it without the Homebrew channel. Is there any way to make this baby hackable (if that's the word) again?

Thanks in advance.

sweetzen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My mistake. I left out the fact that apparently cIOScorp left something in the system that's stopping Hackmii from installing. It does not recognize it as a vulnerable system, and simply won't install. I know that the Twilight hack won't work on 4.1 anymore, so what I'm wondering is if there is any other hack or exploit I can use to get the Homebrew channel installed on this Wii?

I realize the answer to this might be "no," in which case I'll have to look into hardware modding alternatives. Would this still work?

Thanks again. Sorry I wasn't entirely clear.

sweetzen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Aha! Got it fixed.
biggrin.gif

It turns out that nearly all of my IOSes had the 0xffff* revision number, which is why they weren't vulnerable to Hackmii. The solution (i.e., the way to get Hackmii installed on the system again) involved these steps: 1. I launched IOS38rev14 installer from an SD card, to install IOS249; 2. Then I downloaded the most recent revisions of the affected IOSes using NUS Downloader; 3. I launched Wad Manager 1.5 from an SD card, to install the downloaded wads over the 0xffff* ones; 4. I launched the Hackmii installer and it worked just as it should. Checking the log file on the SD card confirmed that those pesky 0xffff* IOSes are gone.

Thanks for your attention.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The reason for that is that all of that downgrading and upgrading you did was pretty much entirely useless. The new CIOSCORP has maxed out version numbers so upgrading will not get rid of any of it. You should have just used dop-IOSv7 to install the most recent official IOS's over all of your IOS's.

sweetzen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
nabster92, thanks for your comments. You're absolutely right, fully deleting cIOScorp modifications from the IOSes would have been relatively easy using Dop-IOS. As it stood, it was a learning lesson in "be careful which 'expert' tutorial you follow," and more specifically, "avoid any that suggest installing cIOScorp," unless you really, really know what you're doing to your system.

Thanks also for the link.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1