Hacking cIOS Rev. Versions

TornZero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to get my USB Loader 1.5 to work and I can load games from the SD but with a Wii Disc Drive Error. I can't do anything with the USB Drive (I DID look at compatibility. Corsair Survivor 8GB USB is mine and it is perfectly compatible with USB Loader). I looked it up and found I need a cIOS. Which one should I use? A lot say 9 since 10 is buggy and some say to use the latest Rev.

Also, where can I get it (Specific if possible).

bluescreen81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
dunno who says 9 but currently everyone uses min 10.
im using 13b without having any problems, but some people are having usb problems with their devices on 13 / 13b they all work with 10...
its up to you.
smile.gif

TornZero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bluescreen81 said:
dunno who says 9 but currently everyone uses min 10.
im using 13b without having any problems, but some people are having usb problems with their devices on 13 / 13b they all work with 10...
its up to you.
smile.gif

Thanks. I'll probably try 10 then 13 if 10 doesn't work.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've done some local tests on revisions 10, 12 and 13b, my results are as follows, keep in mind this will vary with your usb drive.

Revision 10, caused some few games to occasionally and randomly freeze. Not a hard drive spindown issue.

Revision 13, ran all games well and had great loading times. Remember to use the right USB port. Has a dealbreaker bug for me though - you have to shut down and turn on the Wii to load a second game, as a loader will likely (always with USB Loader GX) freeze trying to load a second game.

Revision 12, ran all games well and had the same loading times as revision 10, about the same as DVD. Return to menu and start loader resulted in no glitches.

So for me it's Revision 12 all the way - best compatibility with games and no freeze issues on second run.

Of course, if you use USB instruments or peripherals in games, like microphones for Rock Band or Animal Crossing, they work best in revision 13. I play none of those games (or at least don't have those Rock Band peripherals) so 12 is the clear winner.

TornZero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hooya said:
I've done some local tests on revisions 10, 12 and 13b, my results are as follows, keep in mind this will vary with your usb drive.

Revision 10, caused some few games to occasionally and randomly freeze. Not a hard drive spindown issue.

Revision 13, ran all games well and had great loading times. Remember to use the right USB port. Has a dealbreaker bug for me though - you have to shut down and turn on the Wii to load a second game, as a loader will likely (always with USB Loader GX) freeze trying to load a second game.

Revision 12, ran all games well and had the same loading times as revision 10, about the same as DVD. Return to menu and start loader resulted in no glitches.

So for me it's Revision 12 all the way - best compatibility with games and no freeze issues on second run.

Of course, if you use USB instruments or peripherals in games, like microphones for Rock Band or Animal Crossing, they work best in revision 13. I play none of those games (or at least don't have those Rock Band peripherals) so 12 is the clear winner.

Wait. For Rev 13, is it if you're facing the back of the Wii (Like when you're looking right at the ports) or when you're facing the front (Looking at the disc drive)?

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hooya said:

By any chance you have "Tomb Raider: Underworld" and use to freeze a lot after a while (from 5min to 45min) and now it doesn't freeze on cIOS_r12..??
huh.gif

@ OP search for "cIOS36_rXX Installer" (XX been the name of the revision you want)...!!
wink.gif

TornZero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
Hooya said:

By any chance you have "Tomb Raider: Underworld" and use to freeze a lot after a while (from 5min to 45min) and now it doesn't freeze on cIOS_r12..??
huh.gif

@ OP search for "cIOS36_rXX Installer" (XX been the name of the revision you want)...!!
wink.gif

I already had R13 on my SD, and I was being a bit lazy, so I installed that right away (As a WAD). No brick, but I can't load the game still (The error that says, "Eject the disc, Remove the disc from the slot, and turn the power off and try again.").

I'll try with the USB now.

TehLexinator

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9 by far. 13 broke a lot of things for me, and 10 has odd bugs that pop up rarely after extensive and prolonged use.

9 all the way!

Sledge1

Trophies
XP
Country
TehLexinator said:
9 by far. 13 broke a lot of things for me, and 10 has odd bugs that pop up rarely after extensive and prolonged use.

9 all the way!
except most loaders won't work with rev9

TornZero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sledge1 said:
TehLexinator said:

9 all the way!

Tested Rev 13 and it works perfectly with USB Loader v1.5 (I tested YGO!WB and it works with no lag).

EDIT: Unless someone else has some trouble deciding, please close this thread.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
T0rnZer0 said:
Wait. For Rev 13, is it if you're facing the back of the Wii (Like when you're looking right at the ports) or when you're facing the front (Looking at the disc drive)?

If your Wii is vertical in the stand, look at the USB ports (look at the back of the Wii) you want to plug your USB drive into the one that is on your right.

T0rnZer0 said:
Sledge1 said:
QUOTE(TehLexinator @ Jun 9 2009, 11:47 AM) 9 by far. 13 broke a lot of things for me, and 10 has odd bugs that pop up rarely after extensive and prolonged use.

9 all the way!

Tested Rev 13 and it works perfectly with USB Loader v1.5 (I tested YGO!WB and it works with no lag).

Can you return to the main menu from a game, reload your USB loader and enter another game? This will probably freeze on rev13.

TornZero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hooya said:
T0rnZer0 said:

If your Wii is vertical in the stand, look at the USB ports (look at the back of the Wii) you want to plug your USB drive into the one that is on your right.

T0rnZer0 said:
Sledge1 said:
QUOTE(TehLexinator @ Jun 9 2009, 11:47 AM) 9 by far. 13 broke a lot of things for me, and 10 has odd bugs that pop up rarely after extensive and prolonged use.

9 all the way!

Can you return to the main menu from a game, reload your USB loader and enter another game? This will probably freeze on rev13.

Haven't tried it, and from what was told to me, I don't really plan to. It's not exactly a nuisance to restart the Wii every time I switch games.

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Sledge1 said:
TehLexinator said:

9 all the way!
Not sure why you would think that - rev 9 works fine with at least 5 loaders that I have tried so far.

NeoNight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rev 9 does work fine, I've been using it all this time up until the support for other usb devices (like the lan adapter) was added in rev 12-13b+.

RC89

Trophies
XP
Country
Ive used the rev10 since it was released, working fine with all my games at the moment.
- I think im waiting for rev14 before updating.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Is Janet Jackson alive?