Hacking cIOS/IOS important questions

Kovani

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi. This is my first post and I would like to ask you guys some questions.

First of all, I really want to know what is an IOS and a cIOS. What is the difference between that and is it possible to know which version of cIOS I’m running right now?

Second of all, I’ve installed Backup Launcher 0.3 Gamma and everything seems to work fine. To get this working, I’ve installed a cIOS included in the package which I don’t know the version. Now I want to install something to make an ISO of a Wii game. I need Custom IOS (IOS249) to get this working and this is where I’m really lost. Do I need to use a cIOS Uninstaller or AnyTitle Deleter then install this cIOS or do I need to just install this over the last one? And If I want to use the cIOS from Backup Launcher, what do I have to do if I installed the IOS249?

One more question (sorry to waste your time). Can I use the latest cIOS from Waninkoko to use Backup Launcher 0.3 Gamma or do I need to keep the current one from the package?

Thank you in advance. I really want to learn more about cIOS/IOS to avoid any mistake.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just install Waninkoko's cIOS36 rev7 and you don't have to worry about cIOS until the next one is released.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Let me help you a bit: an IOS is essentially a firmware for the Wii. Every application is running a IOS. Now, there are a lot of IOS on your Wii. This is to make sure every application will always work. For example, Zelda will use one of the first IOS's, while a new game like Wii Music can use another one, which could be newer and have more functions.

A cIOS (custom IOS) is just another IOS. It's installed as IOS249 to make sure that Nintendo won't overwrite it in the near future (there only at 51 at the moment). This cIOS could have newer functions, like playing backups or dumping discs.

As long as you keep using Waninkoko's cIOS, you'll probably be fine. As far as I know it does everything you need.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end