Gaming Chrono Trigger DS

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xblackoutx said:
I have to say until I read about it here I had no idea what chrono trigger was. It won't sell that well.
GTFO!

Seriously if you don't know what it is then......well go play ot on a Snes emulator.

GEEZUZ people and there speculations.
Wait 5 months and then we will see if it sells good or not.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's to hoping this sells well. Perhaps there will be more people trying to redo old stuff if it goes well, and that's something I'd like to see.

Actually to tell the truth I think companies should port older games onto newer systems in 'packs' for example Square Enix would have something like
Chrono Trigger
FF1
FF2
FFTA
KoH:CoM
FF3
FF4

Just the basics, they could fit them all on a decent sized NDS rom, and you know that they will support larger sizes on the next system, so this gives them a way to keep people into their old stuff and then sell the new stuff. Or even doing something like they did with Zelda Wind Waker, and provide all the old games on a second disc.

It would also help them make money as people can play these without having to go to emulators and stuff.

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wiidslover said:
So would you really rather have this port over maybe a new one , even if they keep the art style, and just made a new one, even that would be better.

I admit that if I found out that Akira Toriyama was the one heading the graphics department it would put my mind more at ease. But it's obvious that they are going down the "advance" path, like with FFI&II, FFIV, FFV and FFVI, and that's fine. I played all the games I just listed, and although they were the same game with small extras, they were also fun nostalgia on the go (*cough*especially in a time where FF have sucked hard *cough*). Like I said, Chrono Trigger has yet to have a faithful port of itself stateside since its original SNES release. I am eager to play the original game again in all its glory, on the go, with touch screen interactivity, a new dungeon, and perhaps something else as well.

I'll forgo a complete re-make for a faithful port, in hopes that sales and interest will spur the long-awaited Chrono 3, and to enjoy a classic SNES game that is ahead of it's time even by today's standards.

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well Final Fantasy IV was the first turn based RPG to grab my attention. I love the story, I love the game play, I love everything about it at the time. However the graphical update is welcomed in my opinion. However with a graphical update you have the remakers changing shit up.

Pause
Metroid Zero for the GBA was an amazing remake and added diagonal shooting, updated graphics, and a new ending. It was perfect.

Go back to FFIV, it is so complex of a game and the mana system is really the key to what differentiates FFIV from say, FFIII or FFVII. And now the remakers are changing that on me which means I am one unhappy camper. I think all remakes should include the original rom because of this.

So on to Chrono Trigger, the game that ended my first engagement. The ONLY way I would welcome a 3D remake is if the original artist were the ones working on it. At the same time even if the original artist were back I think I would prefer them to just update the graphics in 2D over a 3D overhaul. However Chrono Trigger is such a kick ass an amazing game I'd rather them NOT touch it then try to appease the kids and totally fuck it up.

Also Chrono Trigger should go on the Wii as well. The argument was (not everybody steals games so they need to put it on new systems) Well the same goes for the Wii, not everyone knows how to install illegal wads. And bottom line, all my crew members never heard of Chrono Trigger so it'd be much easier to get them to try it on the VC for 10 bucks rather than investing in a 2D RPG. (Kids...these days....so afraid of the 2D)

Regardless I feel like Square is making this game for ME, I am stoked about it. I can not wait to start all over and start building up my characters and while I stopped leveling up at level 96 now that I have a portable version I can't wait to finally hit level 99.

*Warning this post was made BEFORE my coffee so it may be full of grammatical errors or jumbled thoughts*

JBates

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WeaponXxX said:
Regardless I feel like Square is making this game for ME, I am stoked about it. I can not wait to start all over and start building up my characters and while I stopped leveling up at level 96 now that I have a portable version I can't wait to finally hit level 99.
Level 96????REALLY?!?!? i just beat the original on snemul today and my chars were low 50's. level 96 seems extremely unneccessary...

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WeaponXxX said:
Well Final Fantasy IV was the first turn based RPG to grab my attention. I love the story, I love the game play, I love everything about it at the time. However the graphical update is welcomed in my opinion. However with a graphical update you have the remakers changing shit up.

Pause
Metroid Zero for the GBA was an amazing remake and added diagonal shooting, updated graphics, and a new ending. It was perfect.

Go back to FFIV, it is so complex of a game and the mana system is really the key to what differentiates FFIV from say, FFIII or FFVII. And now the remakers are changing that on me which means I am one unhappy camper. I think all remakes should include the original rom because of this.

So on to Chrono Trigger, the game that ended my first engagement. The ONLY way I would welcome a 3D remake is if the original artist were the ones working on it. At the same time even if the original artist were back I think I would prefer them to just update the graphics in 2D over a 3D overhaul. However Chrono Trigger is such a kick ass an amazing game I'd rather them NOT touch it then try to appease the kids and totally fuck it up.

Also Chrono Trigger should go on the Wii as well. The argument was (not everybody steals games so they need to put it on new systems) Well the same goes for the Wii, not everyone knows how to install illegal wads. And bottom line, all my crew members never heard of Chrono Trigger so it'd be much easier to get them to try it on the VC for 10 bucks rather than investing in a 2D RPG. (Kids...these days....so afraid of the 2D)

*Warning this post was made BEFORE my coffee so it may be full of grammatical errors or jumbled thoughts*

*I absolutely agree with your M:ZM statement. I thought it was a more a completely new game than a remake ultimately, though, as it was almost entirely unfaithful to the original (but the end result was fantastic!)
*FFIV Advance is FFIV, traditional-style, with a new dungeon at the end that fleshes out the character's stories, adding their past, or their future, or in just some way expanding on their storyline. I highly recommend it.
*FFIV DS doesn't change the mana system. It's exactly the same oO. I've already beaten the game - if you don't use the new Abilities system, you can play the entire game faithful to the original, with beautiful cut scenes, CG movies and many points of extended plotline. It is VERY faithful to the original. I was very impressed.
*Chrono Cross for the Wii would be nice
ohmy.gif
. I'm not sure we will see a double-CT Wii/DS release. But that doesn't mean i don't want it
tongue.gif

JBates said:
QUOTE(WeaponXxX @ Jul 7 2008, 10:24 AM) Regardless I feel like Square is making this game for ME, I am stoked about it. I can not wait to start all over and start building up my characters and while I stopped leveling up at level 96 now that I have a portable version I can't wait to finally hit level 99.
Level 96????REALLY?!?!? i just beat the original on snemul today and my chars were low 50's. level 96 seems extremely unneccessary...

You obviously were satisfied with achieving one ending. Myself and the esteemed WeaponXxX, we could safely assume, enjoyed going back and uncovering all the endings. Especially because two of them are specifically related to the sequel, and some are just really funny
tongue.gif
. I'm just a completionist, so I had to oO.

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
EXTREMELY unnecessary! It was for pure love of the game's story. I can't even say how many times I beat it cause there was quite a few times where I'd start a new game and go the "get to the final boss in under 5 minutes route" just to level up a bit quicker in hopes of one day hitting Level 99

*Edit,
Thanks Raganook for building my confidence in FFIV DS, being one of my favorite in the series I was quite worried.

And yes Chrono Trigger has some great endings. Someone on here mentioned 6 endings, someone mentioned 8, I know of six story driven endings off the top of my head and then there are quite a few endings that don't even have a story if I remember correctly, the credits just roll.

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WeaponXxX said:
EXTREMELY unnecessary! It was for pure love of the game's story. I can't even say how many times I beat it cause there was quite a few times where I'd start a new game and go the "get to the final boss in under 5 minutes route" just to level up a bit quicker in hopes of one day hitting Level 99

What would you gain any levels out of in that route oO.

House->Fair->Red Portal

There is nothing to gain EXP from! [Boss of Game] doesn't give EXP!
tongue.gif

Edit1: EXCEPT FOR GATO
ohmy.gif

Edit2:

WeaponXxXAnd yes Chrono Trigger has some great endings. Someone on here mentioned 6 endings, someone mentioned 8, I know of six story driven endings off the top of my head and then there are quite a few endings that don't even have a story if I remember correctly, the credits just roll.

13 endings
smile.gif

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow I did not know that! I think I had started playing around with the red portal route at around level 70 at which point my character would level up only once or twice from beating the whole game. I guess I just assumed beating the boss added to my experience. It has been several years since I have played the game though so my memory may be just a bit rusty all I know is Chrono Trigger is without a doubt the best RPG I have ever played.

S

ScuberSteve

Raganook said:
WeaponXxX said:
And yes Chrono Trigger has some great endings. Someone on here mentioned 6 endings, someone mentioned 8, I know of six story driven endings off the top of my head and then there are quite a few endings that don't even have a story if I remember correctly, the credits just roll.

13 endings
smile.gif

12!
Some are just variations!

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ScuberSteve said:
Raganook said:
WeaponXxX said:

13 endings
smile.gif

12!
Some are just variations!

Sorry my friend, 13. I shall list them spoiler-free. #5 and #6 are similar, but definitely not variants, they are unique in many ways
smile.gif

1) Developers Ending
2) Wedding
3) The 3 Stooges
4) Hero Medal
5) Slideshow (after masamune, before 65mil)
6) Slideshow 2 (right after retrieval of gate key in 65mil)
7) Frog VS Magus
8) Reptites
9) Magus and the Ocean Palace
10) Commentary from the Girls
11) Where is Chrono?
12) "Real" ending, with all its variants
13) "But the future ...refused to change"

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a question, are the ending easy to get?

Do you have to make choices at the beginning of the game?
Do ypu have to repla the game 13 times?

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ferrariman said:

1) Yes
2) No
3) Yes

Your ending differs based on WHEN you beat the game. The boss of the game is available nearly the entire length of the game. In order to beat the boss of the game at these unique points in time, you must do a "new game +", where you go through the game again but maintain your levels/equipment from your last run through(s)

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
ferrariman said:

you have to beat the game at the right time in the game to get an ending(at key point in the game)
so
at lest 1 replay is needed

when i play it one time in one replay
i beat the game when you 1st have to fight Lavos
(12,000 BC, Ocean Palace)

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ScuberSteve said:
Awww...
you counted the game ouver as an ending?

LAME!

Its not a "game over" like an enemy kills you game over...

...its an ending cinematic that plays if, in your final attempt to change the future, you fail.

Which, besides being way cooler than a Game Over, is most definitely an ending
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade...