Website
Visit site
XP
Country
REVIEWING

Chrono Trigger DS (by psycoblaster)

REWROTE

- Introduction
Chrono Trigger is a DS port of the SNES game Chrono Trigger, which was released in 1995.
Does this game keep up to today's standards? Is this game really as good as others say?
Rather than treating this game as a port of a game that stood out in its time, I will write this up as if this was my first time playing through.
This review will treat the game as if it was first released to the DS, so if you readers have never played or even heard the game, you should read through.
There are many things I have to say about this game, so read on.

- Gameplay
There are 2 modes of controlling - one is using the stylus for quickly being able to look through menus, and an option to control just like the original SNES version.
The stylus controls were supposed to be used for an easier way to scroll through the menu, but it just doesn't work.
The only reason why the DS control mode is better is that the status of the characters will no longer be stuck on the top screen.

The battle works similar to FFIV, where there is a bar that fills up, and you make your move when filled. This makes the game play more real time, rather than a plain turn based battle. I'll say it at least makes battles more interesting, but as of my opinion, I liked the regular turn based battle more(which you can also choose from the options), because I do not have to actually wait until the bar fills up.

Rather than that, it's just like a regular RPG. You just move around the map, complete your objectives, level up, and do some extra stuffs.
7/10

- Graphics
Forget the SNES.
Let's think about this game as a regular DS game.
First of all, some sprites are very detailed but some are not.
Looking at some graphics, such as the trees, and they are very detailed.
But looking at the actual characters and enemies, it seems a little poor.
The animations aren't as smooth.
For example, when your character runs, you can see the choppy animations.
But forget the graphics, too. Graphics aren't what makes up the game - however, when you are looking for battles with detailed effects, animations, and action, Chrono Trigger DS lacks.
However, there are few concerns with the font. It is very small, and there are barely any text. So why didn't SE increase the font size? They left it super small, which looks pretty bad because the text boxes are most of the time empty, and looks very awkward.
7/10

- Sound
The BGM sounds are midi-ish, and the sound effects are kind of plain.
I found some sound effects that doesn't even fit the action.
The BGM and the sound effects aren't as lively, and some sound effects are really annoying.
Especially from the beginning, where the new invention is in action.
The sound effects/BGM are not as impressive.
5/10

- Replay value
I don't think this can stay in my microSD for long. Even though it's not bad, once you complete the game, that's basically it.
There are still more endings to see, and many more stuff to do, but it just didn't feel like it was worth the time.
New DS games are coming out, and this game is taking 128 MB of my space.
It's just my opinion, but once you complete the game for the first time, you won't want to pick it up again.
7/10

- Story
The story is a bit meh.
As of the games now, this type of story is old. It's just like the older games -
a girl that you try to save is a princess, and you need to protect the world from a boss.
As compared to today's game, it's not all that great.
There are also several different endings you can reach, but actually isn't much that great.
Most of the endings have something to do with killing Lavos, going into the telepod thingy, etc.
6/10

- Overall
Not much to really say. It just seems like this game is too overrated, and that is all I need to say.
Not really exciting, but at least enough for a single play through.

I also see some people complaining how I'm giving such a low score even though it is a port.
Well, if you want me to give this game a 20/10 just because it is a port, why not rather review the SNES version, not this?
Come on guys, think. Why would you write up a perfect review just because the game was great at its generation?
Oh great, Tales of Phantasia/ Star Ocean SNES port to the DS! I'll give it a 10/10 just because it is a port and it was great that time!!!11
naw it doesn't work that way. What I'm reviewing is the DS GAME itself, not the SNES. Why would I even make connections to it- even though it's a port and it is related, it still is a completely separate game.
So this review basically IGNORED the SNES version and just strictly reviewed the DS version.

6/10 - worth playing

Some screens:
6665a2c429806397d1a0590f4580e4b120080715122940.jpg

dd547dec984aad37c4485106d487bf4620080715122940.jpg

79f807fdb948cd2f206930bd3b5017b020080715122940.jpg

22f9e5a38fed232269d8c895f4662bb620080715122940.jpg

Earl

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Disagree, with this review, this game is without a doubt one of the greats. Not possible to overrate it : (

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing this "remake" has going is that it makes the game available once again, but at what I think is double the necessary price. It should've been a budget title, raking in cash, rather than a quick cash-in like Squareeeeenix seems to enjoy. Well, the Square part of it, at least.

CyberFish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was a really good review. You touched on everything and gave your opinion.

However, I have yet to play this game on a DS yet. If it is anything like the SNES original, the game is not overrated. The unique thing about Chrono Trigger is that the story can change. The ending can change. Also, I dont know how killing the main character, and bringing him back to life is something that is over done and old. I cant really think of many games that are like that.

However, Ill still say nice review.

CyberFish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Twiggy12 said:
tht was a bit harsh, i say its a great gamethats a bit overated but thats cos its so good! and dont forget it was the first of its kind witht hat battel system so dont just compare to final fantasy IV

Werd. Thats like saying Metal Gear for NES is over rated, yet it started the stealth genre.

Reaper

Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Man, this game was good for a while but the future's depressing, there's no one in 65,000,000BC, and I just didn't like it anymore.

Earl

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ferrariman said:
Earl said:
Disagree, with this review, this game is without a doubt one of the greats. Not possible to overrate it : (
I would give this game 8/10, but this game is overrated.

I have noticed how the word Overrated is a term thrown around alot on gba temp when it comes to what most people reffer to as 'great' games anyone figure why? To be honest in my opinion overrated is an overrated term, which often holds little to no relevance with anything and has very little truth in it. The only "rating" a game gets that really matters, is how many people like the game, and how much they like it. Alot of people like chrono trigger, and 'most' of the people who like it, love it. This is the rating it has and there is nothing 'over' about it. The only time a game can be overrated is if there are other huge factors involved than the game itself, say microsoft handed out weed in the box with every sold halo 4 copy, and there was alot of weedy humour in it that only people who were high would find funny/good. Then alot of people would be under the influence of cannabis while playing it, and it might give the game an unfair 'rating' overall because must people had a great time with it, but that might have been just because of the marihuana. As far as i know there was no pot dealt out with chrono trigger though. So it seems more like it's just underrated on GBATemp for some reason.

psycoblaster

Divine
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the reason for a review is not to rant about a game, nor to praise a game, but for informing the people that wants to read about the game before actually grabbing it.
And let's try this - forget about the SNES. Say chrono trigger for the SNES wasn't even made. So let's say chrono trigger for the DS the only chrono trigger made.
THAT is where a review needs to be written from. I've tried to do that for this review, but I just felt I needed to give some more bonus points for graphics.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
psycoblaster said:
the reason for a review is not to rant about a game, nor to praise a game, but for informing the people that wants to read about the game before actually grabbing it.
And let's try this - forget about the SNES. Say chrono trigger for the SNES wasn't even made. So let's say chrono trigger for the DS the only chrono trigger made.
THAT is where a review needs to be written from. I've tried to do that for this review, but I just felt I needed to give some more bonus points for graphics.

A game becomes epic due to different factors, such as the time period as it was made and how it was compared to others at that time and what kind of influence it has had on future games.
Your example is like saying what if Super Mario Bros was never created for the NES, but instead it was the SNES Super Mario All-Stars where it first was introduced.
If SMB would've still been the icon for platform games it would've been today or not cause of that, is something we have no idea of.
So you can't really review a game with 'what if's'.

But considering Chrono Trigger DS still kicks the butts of most DS RPG games out there even for being a over 10 year old game without a big makeover, should
summarize right there on the impact it must've had when the game was at its greatest.

It has become some kind of fad nowadays to go against the flow. If most people find a game epic, there always seem to be a few that just must go against it
by all means necessary and bash it. In some cases being 'uniqué' doesn't make you 'cool' (not redirected at you personal, but at the general group).
Whetever you like it or not, you can't change the fact that Chrono Trigger SNES has been one of those games that has had some kind of impact on all the RPG games we have today.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
This review is just... incorrect. I understand everyone has a different perspective and that this is yours, but giving Chrono Trigger a negative review is like giving the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time the same. It's blasphemy to insult one of the greatest games of all time from an overall perspective. You don't feel it stands up to today's games? That's fine. But to try and critique what it was to begin with is like saying Star Wars wasn't one of the greats when it was first released.

Running with that Star Wars comment... sure, today the brand has been muddied with poor sequels and squeezed for everything it had. Yes, now a scifi epic like that is common in all forms of media. Again, today the whole "I am your long lost father" bit is trite and played out... but at the time? There was very little out there like it. Back then it was original and fresh.

So again, you don't like Chrono Trigger now? Ok, I disagree, but I can understand you have a differing opinion. But overall, looking at the big picture, it's one of the greatest games of all time. For example, to say that the story was bad because many other games have done time travel stories since, and hold that against the one that did it first and did it best (at the time) is just wrong.

I was planning on doing my own review, from two separate perspectives, the perspective of the fans and the perspective of new players and how the game holds up to today's standards. And after taking a glance at this review, I really have no choice.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with the review here, well-written dude.

I also agree that this game is immensely over-rated. I've played through this game three times, and gotten most the endings, so I think I am at least "Sort-of" qualified to make this statement. The only thing that this game really had going for it at the time, was the story, and the graphics. I played this game in the year 1997, an at the time I was fairly impressed, but not nearly as impressed with this as I was with Final Fantasy VII, (All Chrono Trigger fans seem to hate this game.) which was far more revolutionary to me, in every aspect. Something I've noticed though, is that whenever there is a person who whines about Final Fantasy VII being over-rated, they are 9/10 a Chrono Trigger fan, and commit the same hypocrisy, only for a less successful, lower-rated, lesser known game. If numbers don't lie, then why do people still insist that this is a better game? You only say it's not over-rated because you're fanboys for the game, the same reason I defend Final Fantasy VII so much. (Which was not first Final Fantasy, so drop that argument if that's what you were thinking.)

Don't get me wrong, I like Chrono Trigger, I just get sick of seeing the SAME THING THAT EVERYONE ELSE COMPLAINS ABOUT OVER DIFFERENT GAMES.

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Twiggy12 said:
tht was a bit harsh, i say its a great gamethats a bit overated but thats cos its so good! and dont forget it was the first of its kind witht hat battel system so dont just compare to final fantasy IV

what? first of its kind with that battle system? no way dude... it was nowhere near the first...

@ Ace Gunman:
I agree with the review, this game isnt the best game ever or anywhere near it... i played it when it was released and didnt gave me a single impact... it was just a normal RPG with time travel... where is the innovation that makes it such a great game? the only innovation i see in it, is the attacks that depends on the team you have... lots of endings? it wasnt the first to have more than 1 ending.. or 2... just having to complete the game thousands of times isnt worth the appeal, since the game is always the same. Gameplay is equal to almost 100% of snes RPGs, go there to place X defeat boss, go to place Y defeat boss.

FF VI > Chrono Trigger in terms of story... and those are from the same company and such.

although i loved Chrono Cross, better story in my opinion of course... so its not like i'm hating the "Chrono saga", its just that CT is indeed over-rated at my eyes.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Instead of arguing my points in this topic, I'll leave them to my own review which isn't meant to trump this one, I just have a differing opinion. Hopefully after reading it you'll see my perspective (even if you don't agree with it).
smile.gif

CyberFish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apex said:

I also agree that this game is immensely over-rated. I've played through this game three times, and gotten most the endings, so I think I am at least "Sort-of" qualified to make this statement. The only thing that this game really had going for it at the time, was the story, and the graphics. I played this game in the year 1997, an at the time I was fairly impressed, but not nearly as impressed with this as I was with Final Fantasy VII, (All Chrono Trigger fans seem to hate this game.) which was far more revolutionary to me, in every aspect. Something I've noticed though, is that whenever there is a person who whines about Final Fantasy VII being over-rated, they are 9/10 a Chrono Trigger fan, and commit the same hypocrisy, only for a less successful, lower-rated, lesser known game. If numbers don't lie, then why do people still insist that this is a better game? You only say it's not over-rated because you're fanboys for the game, the same reason I defend Final Fantasy VII so much. (Which was not first Final Fantasy, so drop that argument if that's what you were thinking.)

Don't get me wrong, I like Chrono Trigger, I just get sick of seeing the SAME THING THAT EVERYONE ELSE COMPLAINS ABOUT OVER DIFFERENT GAMES.

Beating Chrono Trigger 3 times does not give you most of the endings. There are 14 total. One of the endings is actually beating Lavos in 1200BC. Something you wont do going through the game only 3 times.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
CyberFish said:
Apex said:

Beating Chrono Trigger 3 times does not give you most of the endings. There are 14 total. One of the endings is actually beating Lavos in 1200BC. Something you wont do going through the game only 3 times.

I've played through three times, and have gotten about twelve endings. I beat the game on new game + at several different points to get the new endings. I know what I'm talking about. (Yes, this includes the directors room ending.) I know my subjects well before criticizing, and if not, I usually just keep my mouth shut. (That wasn't meant offensively.)

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i sorta agree with the review. i'm almost done the game right now, and it was pretty decent, but not as good as i thought it be. though, i never played the snes version, so i have no idea how awesome it was back then. strangely enough, i haven't encountered a single ending...am i playin the game wrong? >.>

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo