OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
_54236304_012517649-1.jpg
In the first accident of China's high-speed rail network that launched in 2007, a bullet train has collided with another one, resulting in the deaths of 35 people, and 191 other injuries. One of the deceased was a foreigner. The collision was caused when one of the trains was struck by lightning, causing it to stall, resulting in the collision of the train from behind. Two of the first train's carriages were derailed, while four of the latter were as well, falling around 30 metres off the elevated track. The accident occurred around Wenzhou City, Zhejiang Province. An estimated 1000 people have participated in rescue efforts.

China's bullet trains are capable of reaching a top speed of around 250km/h. However, the trains involved in the collision were first-generation trains capable of averaging only 150km/h. Power outages and other malfunctions have caused widespread criticism for the bullet train service, with many blaming officials behind the billion-dollar projects for corruption.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my god, this is terrible! It's nice to know that the main reason of the incident wasn't human error, however.

Bullet trains are carefully watched; Something like this rarely ever happens.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure there is practical protection against such an electiric and pressure spike.

I'm not sure people living by money would think it prudent to sacrifice some for safety.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Did anyone think of Angel Beats! here?

On topic: It's good to know that people inside didn't die from an electric shock :C

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Hyro-Sama said:
Shit I have a friend in China right now.

That is the equivalent of saying: "Shit, there's a needle in a haystack." China is a really big country with lots of people. I'm sure your friend was likely nowhere near where the crash happened.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Nathan Drake said:
If it was in a lightly populated/inhabited area at the time of being struck, it would be more likely than usual.
Wenzhou City and its surrounding area (where the accident occurred) is populated by approximately 9,122,100 people, so it's definitely not lightly populated.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
CarbonX13 said:
Nathan Drake said:
If it was in a lightly populated/inhabited area at the time of being struck, it would be more likely than usual.
Wenzhou City and its surrounding area is populated by approximately 9,122,100 people, so it's definitely not lightly populated.

Out of a population of 1,339,724,852 people, I would call nine million lightly populated in terms of, well, China.
Just to note, that 9,122,100 isn't even 1% of the population.

Edit 2: Picta! Where the trains collided looks to be on the outskirts and not really next to any major structures. The train was a fairly large and obvious target for a lightning strike at that point in time.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
machomuu said:
Hyro-Sama said:
Shit I have a friend in China right now.
China is gigantic and the chance that your friend was afflicted is very minute.

QUOTE(Nathan Drake @ Jul 23 2011, 09:22 PM)
That is the equivalent of saying: "Shit, there's a needle in a haystack." China is a really big country with lots of people. I'm sure your friend was likely nowhere near where the crash happened.

Thank you for the reassurance.
smile.gif

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
fgghjjkll said:
Did anyone think of Angel Beats! here?

On topic: It's good to know that people inside didn't die from an electric shock :C
I certainly did.

Man, that show made me want to sign up as an organ donor, and to carry food and water rations on the subway
ohmy.gif

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SamAsh07 said:
lightning hitting exactly the first train..
unsure.gif
worth a thought.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NGnyfVjGqo[/youtube]
dundundunnnnnn

(lightning strikes down as fox news dude criticizes some other dude)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alot of people are saying lightning didnt hit the train
china has ordered the trains to be destroyed and to have them buried claiming foreigners might steal national secrets from them (wtf?)
its obvious they are trying to cover up the incident to prevent the real cause of the crash from being found out

I cant post the source as its a bit too "racy" for gbatemp

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Joe88 said:
alot of people are saying lightning didnt hit the train
china has ordered the trains to be destroyed and to have them buried claiming foreigners might steal national secrets from them (wtf?)
its obvious they are trying to cover up the incident to prevent the real cause of the crash from being found out
The Chinese government nowadays is rather incapable of making up propaganda to its citizens and getting away from it. The excuse of foreigners stealing national secrets may have worked in the past, but definitely not in Chinese society today. Even if they wanted to make a cover-up story for the incident, they would've done it in a different way. Even if the crash was caused by human error, it doesn't really matter at this point. They already fired three senior officials in the Ministry of Transportation (which overlooks all railway projects in China as well), and the whole original story

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Time to just download more ram