Hacking Chiip Opensource Modchip

Frankdux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gave that a try and no luck either..

man i dont understand.. i thought forsure it was cus i had it backwards. but now i get the same results.... could the chips i tried to program die, if the connector was backwards eventhou it couldnt read the unit ...

i have way more chips to use

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
Try running another wire from point 25 to point 7, that way 25 is connected to both 7 AND 8. Notice in the schematic how it is normally done via capacitor.
I might be horribly, terribly wrong, but did you just advise him to create a short circuit?

Don't, I repeat, DON'T connect point 7 and 8 unless you connect them to a capacitor.

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
its cool.
It's not. Pin 7 carries power, pin 8 carries ground. They must not be connected, not to each other, not to a common point. That's what's called a short circuit. Which is generally, like, you know, bad.

A capacitor cannot simply be omitted (EDIT: strike that last word, I meant: "replaced by a wire"). It is NOT used to connect two points, and in a DC circuit, it doesn't.

Frankdux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have a cap connected to pint 25 on db25, and then to point 8 on the socket, and the pos side of the cap is going to pin 7 of socket with the pins 4-8 as well.

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
I believe Cadex said that the electrolytic capacitor is meant for "smoothing out the power" he also said "it might work fine without it."
That's right. The circuit would most probably work fine if you omitted the capacitor. Meaning: Leaving a gap. Not use a connection instead, which you told Frankdux to do.

No offense, but obviously you don't know exactly what a capacitor does. Read it up.

Fatal

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe Cadex said that the electrolytic capacitor is meant for "smoothing out the power" he also said "it might work fine without it."
That's right. The circuit would most probably work fine if you omitted the capacitor. Meaning: Leaving a gap. Not use a connection instead, which you told Frankdux to do.

No offense, but obviously you don't know exactly what a capacitor does. Read it up.
Alright, my bad. I do know what a capacitor does, but I guess I made a mistake. Its late and I'm human give me a break.

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
Frankdux said:
come on guys lets not fight. lets solve my problem. lol
FatalI guess I made a mistake. Its late and I'm human give me a break.
Sorry for going in so hard and fast, but I couldn't let that ill advise slip. Not just for Frankdux, but above all to not let that stand in here as recommendation.

I mean no harm, and I'm cutting everyone some slack. Please don't pick me up as ill tempered or bitter just because I'm not using smiley faces.

Fatal

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Frankdux said:
come on guys lets not fight. lets solve my problem. lol
Fatal said:
I guess I made a mistake. Its late and I'm human give me a break.
Sorry for going in so hard and fast, but I couldn't let that ill advise slip. Not just for Frankdux, but above all to not let that stand in here as recommendation.

I mean no harm, and I'm cutting everyone some slack. Please don't pick me up as ill tempered or bitter just because I'm not using smiley faces.
Actually, I'm glad you corrected that and I would have gone off the same way

Frankdux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so whats the next step, anyone...

So recap....

the db25 is now wired the correct way, the use of resistors for the oins 4-8 are gone. The cap is attacted to pin 25 to pin 8 on socket, the pos side of cap is connected to pin7 of socket. pin 3 of db25 to pin 1 of socket, pin2 of db25 to pin19 of socket, pin9 of db25 to pin17 of socket, pin 11 of db25 to pin18 of socket. what more...

the atmega8L-8PU has a cap on pin 7&8 and a resistor from ping8 of chip to resistor then to led (correct pin) then from led to pin26 of chip

Frankdux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well i have removed the socket from the program completly and connected the programer directly to the chip..

and yes there is still no success.. im and still getting a fail.

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
 the db25 is now wired the correct way, the use of resistors for the oins 4-8 are gone. The cap is attacted to pin 25 to pin 8 on socket
Err, scuse me, why are the resistors gone? Is it because you wired pin 7 and 8 to the USB power? Then you won't need the connection to pin 25 either (although it is only ground, so it won't hurt).

Anyway, you didn't answer me before: Did you check the LPT port settings in your computer's BIOS? It has to be set to EPP (ECP/EPP will do, too, if I remember correctly).

(Typed, dismissed, gone to sleep.)

Frankdux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I too the resistors out and connected to usb, but then removed it and have wires connected directly to pin4-8 to pin 7 on socket. the site says the resistors arnt needed, well i get the same results with and with out them

I had the port set to EPP only. that didnt work, so I changed it to SPP. and that doesnt work either..

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know what was already said, but it appears the programmer is broken? Are you sure you looked at the diagram from the back? I made mine initially from the front, so it didn't work. I had everything reversed. I took it apart and redid it and it worked, might want to check that. Again, I have no idea what's going on, just throwing that out there.

Frankdux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes someones pointed that out to me before... but i think i did it...

I got mad kicked the PC. reloaded the giveio.sys and got nowhere... i downloaded totalio.sys and installed it 20 times and finaly i got the programer to flash the chip, im gonna put it in the Wii in 2 mins and see what happens..

woohooo

Frankdux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ALL is good, chiip working..

thanks for all your hard work people i couldnt have done it with out yas..

Thanks
and good night

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Bananners.