Hacking Cheats.db/.xml not working for me on M3 Real

DvDrmann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was reluctant to start this thread as i've seen many on the subject but after trying everything i've read, i have still not had success.
I assume m3 Real has had a "cheat file" problem for ages but i thought i was doing a good thing getting the Real as a replacement for my son's Simply.

I've tried everything from converting an old .dat from a Simply to .xml then using combiner to save as .db to fumbling through the editing of newer .db's to adjust the code to make it M3 Real friendly.

It didn't work with v3.9 system files, so i went back to v3.6. Still no joy.
My testing has been on SuperMario 64 and i've been trying the Infinite Lives cheat.
I also experienced freezing in the first minutes of play so i thought it must be the memory card. I went and got another but the cheats still don't work.

I appreciate any advice on this.

TIA

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It could be a broken cheat code. Too many cheats and/or other options like soft-reset can crash the game/make them not work, do you have anything besides the single cheat enabled? Do other cheats work and do cheats work on other games?

So try using alternative cheat codes. You can get updated cheat codes from Narin's Cheat Database: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=84991 / http://cheats.gbatemp.net/

DvDrmann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanx for the reply.
I've always started off using the original cheat.db that comes zipped up with the system files.
My son has tried other cheats enabled with no luck but for testing, i've stuck to the one cheat.
I've also tried alternate cheat files from the Cheat thread and other locations.

Here's an interesting observation: All this time the testing has been with a 1gig Kingston or Kingmax MicroSD card.

I purchased a 4gig microSDHC today and just threw on the system files and to my suprise, the "Infinite Lives"cheat for Mario64 worked!
It might be the limitations of the 1gig card with such a large cheat.db files (read speed maybe?)

Would be nice to get them working on the 1gig.
How could i "trim" off the un-needed cheats and tailor to his few games?

DvDrmann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok. Based on the assumption that there is "read speed" issues for huge cheat.db's on smaller microSD cards; i used the R4 DS Cheat Code Editor v0.73 to delete the bulk of the cheats.
I only left the cheats for the specific games on the card and save it to an .xml file.
Pointing to that file on the m3 Real resulted in the cheats working.

Result. The smaller the better. Who knew...heh.

DvDrmann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dsrules said:
Shouln't be a size matter, my 512mb micro works fine with the cheat.db from 3.9
I wouldn't have thought so either but that's what did the trick here. I'm using Kingston cards, you?

gosp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
I'm not sure what's up. I use the giant cheat compilation from gbatemp.

I've tried a couple games, and they all work... except Super Mario 64 DS. (I tried the B-moonjump and the Y-slowfall).

I'll try deleting the cheats for the games I don't use.

DvDrmann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
gosp said:
I'm not sure what's up. I use the giant cheat compilation from gbatemp.

I've tried a couple games, and they all work... except Super Mario 64 DS. (I tried the B-moonjump and the Y-slowfall).

I'll try deleting the cheats for the games I don't use.
Trimming the cheat file down to just the essential games worked here. I did all my basic testing of the cheats with Mario 64 and my son has confirmed that this particular cheat is now working. Including the B-moonjump/Y-slowfall.

Good luck
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out