Cheats.db/.xml not working for me on M3 Real

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by DvDrmann, Aug 2, 2008.

Aug 2, 2008
  1. DvDrmann
    OP

    Newcomer DvDrmann Advanced Member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2006
    Messages:
    70
    Country:
    Canada
    I was reluctant to start this thread as i've seen many on the subject but after trying everything i've read, i have still not had success.
    I assume m3 Real has had a "cheat file" problem for ages but i thought i was doing a good thing getting the Real as a replacement for my son's Simply.

    I've tried everything from converting an old .dat from a Simply to .xml then using combiner to save as .db to fumbling through the editing of newer .db's to adjust the code to make it M3 Real friendly.

    It didn't work with v3.9 system files, so i went back to v3.6. Still no joy.
    My testing has been on SuperMario 64 and i've been trying the Infinite Lives cheat.
    I also experienced freezing in the first minutes of play so i thought it must be the memory card. I went and got another but the cheats still don't work.

    I appreciate any advice on this.

    TIA
     
  2. xJonny

    Member xJonny ...

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Messages:
    1,395
    Country:
    It could be a broken cheat code. Too many cheats and/or other options like soft-reset can crash the game/make them not work, do you have anything besides the single cheat enabled? Do other cheats work and do cheats work on other games?

    So try using alternative cheat codes. You can get updated cheat codes from Narin's Cheat Database: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=84991 / http://cheats.gbatemp.net/
     
  3. DvDrmann
    OP

    Newcomer DvDrmann Advanced Member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2006
    Messages:
    70
    Country:
    Canada
    Thanx for the reply.
    I've always started off using the original cheat.db that comes zipped up with the system files.
    My son has tried other cheats enabled with no luck but for testing, i've stuck to the one cheat.
    I've also tried alternate cheat files from the Cheat thread and other locations.

    Here's an interesting observation: All this time the testing has been with a 1gig Kingston or Kingmax MicroSD card.

    I purchased a 4gig microSDHC today and just threw on the system files and to my suprise, the "Infinite Lives"cheat for Mario64 worked!
    It might be the limitations of the 1gig card with such a large cheat.db files (read speed maybe?)

    Would be nice to get them working on the 1gig.
    How could i "trim" off the un-needed cheats and tailor to his few games?
     
  4. DvDrmann
    OP

    Newcomer DvDrmann Advanced Member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2006
    Messages:
    70
    Country:
    Canada
    double post. sorry
     
  5. DvDrmann
    OP

    Newcomer DvDrmann Advanced Member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2006
    Messages:
    70
    Country:
    Canada
    Ok. Based on the assumption that there is "read speed" issues for huge cheat.db's on smaller microSD cards; i used the R4 DS Cheat Code Editor v0.73 to delete the bulk of the cheats.
    I only left the cheats for the specific games on the card and save it to an .xml file.
    Pointing to that file on the m3 Real resulted in the cheats working.

    Result. The smaller the better. Who knew...heh.
     
  6. dsrules

    Member dsrules GBAtemp Psycho!

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2005
    Messages:
    3,300
    Country:
    Shouln't be a size matter, my 512mb micro works fine with the cheat.db from 3.9
     
  7. DvDrmann
    OP

    Newcomer DvDrmann Advanced Member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2006
    Messages:
    70
    Country:
    Canada
    I wouldn't have thought so either but that's what did the trick here. I'm using Kingston cards, you?
     
  8. dsrules

    Member dsrules GBAtemp Psycho!

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2005
    Messages:
    3,300
    Country:
    Sandisk 512mb
     
  9. gosp

    Member gosp GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2008
    Messages:
    216
    Country:
    Italy
    I'm not sure what's up. I use the giant cheat compilation from gbatemp.

    I've tried a couple games, and they all work... except Super Mario 64 DS. (I tried the B-moonjump and the Y-slowfall).

    I'll try deleting the cheats for the games I don't use.
     
  10. dsrules

    Member dsrules GBAtemp Psycho!

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2005
    Messages:
    3,300
    Country:
    then is mostly likely be the Mario64 code problem
     
  11. DvDrmann
    OP

    Newcomer DvDrmann Advanced Member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2006
    Messages:
    70
    Country:
    Canada
    Trimming the cheat file down to just the essential games worked here. I did all my basic testing of the cheats with Mario 64 and my son has confirmed that this particular cheat is now working. Including the B-moonjump/Y-slowfall.

    Good luck [​IMG]
     

Share This Page