Hacking Cheat Codes, Where to Begin?

CorvoSol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all and thank you in advance! I'd like to preface this topic with the disclaimer that I HAVE used the Search function and I HAVE Googled around, but all I can find are bits and pieces of what I think I want to know, and so I am making a topic in order to hopefully secure a more direct response/explanation for my problem.

SO. I own Final Fantasy 4: The After Years for Wii Ware, and I don't want to go through the RNG hassle of collecting all those tails. I would rather save myself time by just using codes to get them or the Debug Ring. The problem is I don't know where to begin putting cheat codes on a Wii. I've heard of things like Gecko and Ocarina, but I can't find a tutorial here on how to use them. Beyond that, I want to know how safe it is to install a cheat program on a Wii. I share the Wii with the rest of my family, and it wouldn't be fair to put it at great risk for my own desires. Assuming all else fails here, I was wondering if any reccomendations could be made for an action replay device for the Wii that would be compatible with Wii Ware games, specifically The After Years.

Thank you again for your time and input, and I apologize if the answer is plain as day and I have simply missed it. I don't want to offend forum regulars by polluting the site with obvious questions, but I feel this the surest and most straightforward way for me to get an answer.

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I understand that you have tried to find info via google but this is what I suggest:

If your wii is modded then I suggest searching for homebrew information in google. I don't believe I can link you directly to sites as per forum policy. We also have a modding sticky at the top of this section. It should lead you in the right direction.

If your wii isn't modded then I suggest getting and action replay (not sure if there is one for the wii, but it's worth a try to check). Otherwise, you'll have to play through all over again.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, you can try the noob thread, but let's try here first :)

Is you wii hacked?
Are you willing to hack it if it is not? (I guess you don't seeing your comment about not messing it)
Are you using a loader to launch your Wii games? (not talking about channels here, just wii disc games)
most Loader allow you to launch channels too, and they can let you use cheat code.

There are some homebrew (GekoOS, Riivolution) to launch retail games with cheatcode on a non hacked Wii, but I don't know about channels.

Datel's Action replay is using the same method to use cheatcode on retail games: Letter bomb exploit which launch the application which launch the game Disc (I don't know if Action replay works with channels)

CorvoSol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm willing to hack my wii as long as it isn't a BIG risk in hurting it. I know that there's always SOME risk involved in these things, but if it's fairly safe, I'm okay with modding.

So what I need is a loader that allows both cheating and launching channels?

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm willing to hack my wii as long as it isn't a BIG risk in hurting it. I know that there's always SOME risk involved in these things, but if it's fairly safe, I'm okay with modding.

So what I need is a loader that allows both cheating and launching channels?

There is risk, but if you follow the modding instructions correctly there should be no problems. Also, once you mod it you will need loaders to run codes. There is a homebrew app the loads retail games with cheats activated, but let's take this one step at a time :P.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you need to hack your wii = email [email protected]
taken from http://gbatemp.net/t...y-wii-43-below/
First, go to your sd card you just copied everything to, and delete the private folder.
Now, power on the Wiim and go to Settings -> Internet -> Console Information and write down the MAC Address.
Next, go to the (Letterbomb http://please.hackmii.com/ site,) http://gbatemp.net/t...ost__p__4336673 get http://goo.gl/h3CbS select your region, type in the MAC Address you copied above, uncheck Bundle the HackMii Installer for Me, fill in the captcha and cut either wire.
It will begin downloading a small zip file, open this file, and you will see a private folder, copy and paste it into the root of the sd card.
Now you can place the sd card into the Wii and power it on (if it isn't already).
Go to the Messageboard and navigate to Yesterday (depending on your timezone, it could also show up under Today).
Click on the envelope with the pinkish Bomb looking thingy.
This runs the Hackmii Installer from which you should install the Homebrew Channel & Bootmii as IOS & boot2 if possible.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years [WF4E] = http://geckocodes.org/index.php?c=WF4E
ocarina(another code app for HBC on wii) and code manager http://wiird.l0nk.org/ocarina.zip
using code manager =

gecko = http://wiird.l0nk.or...s/Gecko1931.zip
Gecko 1.9.3.1
  • Fix Gecko Pause Start option
Gecko 1.9.3

• Loading games no longer requires a second disc spin-up
  • Added support for the new Homebrew Channel ID
  • Fixed channel loading to use the selected hook type, instead of always using the VBI hook
  • Improved the 002 error prevention method for channels
  • Add support for using cIOS for rebooter
  • Fix dol/elf loading
  • Add support for System Menu 4.2
  • Bug fix for poke function in gameconfig.txt (thanks to WiiPower)
Gecko 1.9.2

• If necessary, cIOS will be used for channel loading
  • A few more gameconfig options were added
  • Some video mode fixes
Gecko 1.9.1

• The "No Hooks" option should work correctly now
  • Displayed code line limit was one line greater than the actual limit, that is now fixed
  • Displayed channel names are more complete
  • Improved Gamecube disc detection
  • Games that use IOS 36 (for example, Super Smash Bros. Brawl) no longer require a second disc spin-up when loading
Gecko 1.9.0.1

• Moved rebooter to a menu item
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the codes and patch folder from being found if in data/gecko
  • Fixed a bug that caused a core dump if background.png is in the root directory of the SD card
  • Language and video mode settings from WiiRD are now used if a game is started from WiiRD
  • Fixed a rebooter bug that caused the currently inserted game disc not to show up in the disc channel
Gecko 1.9

• Added channel loading with hooks, channel menu supports same database.txt format as AnyTitle Deleter MOD to replace the channel IDs with channel names (put database.txt at the root of the SD card)
  • Ocarina works on channels
  • ELF/DOL loading from geckoload now works
  • Optionally the directory data/gecko can contain the codes folder, patch folder, gameconfig.txt, config.dat, and background.png instead of the root of the SD card
  • GC memory cards are no longer detected as a USB Gecko
  • Changed how exit works; if a loader other than the homebrew channel was used (or an old version of the HBC) it will return to the system menu
  • Fixed a text overlapping bug that would happen if a disc error occurs and Ocarina is on
gecko 1.9.3.1 folder out of the should be in a folder of its own in a folder called apps on root of sd SD:\apps\gecko1931...(just the icon,meta,bot.dol from the HBC folder in the gecko download)
covert text to .gct and
The .gct files shouldnt be in the root of your SD card, put them in SD:\codes

thank the appropriate people i cut and pasted from

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AccioHacks + GeckoOS (and Possibly Turcha Bug Restorer if you need it.)
I assume you have Wifi, if you are playing a WiiWare.

Download both with the HomeBrew Browser.
Make a .gct of the codes you want with AccioHacks
Set SD Cheats to "ON" in GeckoOS, and boot the game-
if the option to boot channels doesn't appear in GeckoOS, you need to use "Turcha Bug Restorer" to install a patched IOS 36. Look for a Tutorial on Youtube for that if you aren't familiar with the process.
That may seem like an old thing, but i find it to work brilliantly on newer Wii's.
After it's all said and done, you should be able to cheat quite easily. :)
Trust Me, i know about this kind of thing. (See my Name?)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Once his wii is hacked (using simplisticmod or modmii), I would have suggested USBLoaderGX as it's doing all in one place. (Of course you can use other loaders, like Wiiflow, or another one).

But I suppose each users would suggest a different thing, different loader, different program on computer, etc.

I think my method is easier as it's using only one application, with all automated directly on the Wii. (and it has a wii look, great for newbies)

So, after installing the homebrew Channel and Bootmii, and all the cIOSes that the guides will tell you do install:

Add USBloader GX to your SD card:
1. download this: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xqm7m5duu9r5t22 (current latest beta, as of writing. r1201)
2. extract the file IOS249/boot.dol and put it on SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/boot.dol
3. put SD card on your Wii
4. launch Wii and load Homebrew Channel
system-menu-001.png
(yes, you can install a USBloader channel later if you want, just launch the homebrew channel for the moment).

5. Launch USB Loader GX from the homebrew channel
hbc-001.png

6. as you don't have a HDD connected, you will see a count down. Press B button to skip USB and go into channel mode.
7. it will display all your installed Channels on your Wii.

You are almost done :)

select the game you want to launch, and press A
gallery_746_245_71188.png

Select (Settings) button to go to the channel settings
gallery_746_245_53694.png

Click on (game Load) to go to this game's settings.
gallery_746_245_11815.png

And enable Ocarina. Main settings (the big gear icon) > Loader Setting > Channel boot : change Content boot.dol

CorvoSol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I know this is a weird question, but I just found an SD Media Launcher among my old things. Could that be used in any way to help me reach my goal?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.