Hacking Hardware Cheapmod Mini - a brand-new Cheapmod-based modchip for the OG Xbox

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Have you toyed with the idea of using a 512KB chip with a switch to swap address banks, and possibly have a dual-bios setup? If not, I suppose two 256KB chips could still work. But then it wouldn't be exactly "Mini" :rofl2:

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you toyed with the idea of using a 512KB chip with a switch to swap address banks, and possibly have a dual-bios setup? If not, I suppose two 256KB chips could still work. But then it wouldn't be exactly "Mini" :rofl2:
I guess you could say that its possible, never tried it though.

marsy_mcmarsface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 1.6 Xbox here that doesn't have a disc drive and I am looking for the cheapest possible way to make it playable. I think your modchip is my best bet. I, however, am very new to Xbox modding. Is it even necessary to have a drive at all? A lot of the things I have read make it seem like most modchips need the disc drive for intial set up. Maybe I am reading them wrong though.

Also, how do you intend to get the required flash chips? Other than the Italian man that you mentioned, who doesn't seem to ship to the USA, I haven't been able to find a reliable supplier for them.

SylverReZ

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1.6 Xbox here that doesn't have a disc drive and I am looking for the cheapest possible way to make it playable. I think your modchip is my best bet. I, however, am very new to Xbox modding. Is it even necessary to have a drive at all?
You don't always need to have a DVD drive, since once you've modded it, you can have all of your games onto the HDD. Cerbios is what I personally recommend, it doesn't check for the disc drive on boot-up and does a lot more over the original BIOS.

Also, how do you intend to get the required flash chips? Other than the Italian man that you mentioned, who doesn't seem to ship to the USA, I haven't been able to find a reliable supplier for them.
I got them from the Italian eBay seller, although, there are 49LF020 chips on AliExpress. When you buy them from Ali, you are either likely to get resurfaced 49LF020A/Bs which do not work with this, or supposedly the real deal. I haven't bought any from there yet, I do suggest getting a PLCC32 socket just to test.

marsy_mcmarsface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got them from the Italian eBay seller, although, there are 49LF020 chips on AliExpress. When you buy them from Ali, you are either likely to get resurfaced 49LF020A/Bs which do not work with this, or supposedly the real deal. I haven't bought any from there yet, I do suggest getting a PLCC32 socket just to test.
Just got off the phone with a company out in California that specializes in obsolete components. Website says they have 1,033 of them, I never trust those online number though. He said he would get back to me on a quote for 10 of them. They seem pretty legit. Website lists about every certification there is and they claim to have "Counterfeit Screening."

If the quote is a good price and the chips are legit, I feel like your design could become the new budget option for a modchip.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Photos of the building process.

vlcsnap-2024-02-19-08h05m38s269.png
vlcsnap-2024-02-19-08h26m59s772.png
vlcsnap-2024-02-19-08h28m25s610.png
vlcsnap-2024-02-19-08h21m41s644.png

20240219_082353.jpg
20240219_082323.jpg
20240219_082946.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCYyXcb_pJk Lol spiderman dong