Charging the DS/DSiXL via USB

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Qtis, Mar 1, 2011.

Mar 1, 2011

Charging the DS/DSiXL via USB by Qtis at 7:15 AM (3,944 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Qtis
    OP

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Well the question is this: Is it possible to charge the DSL/DSiXL to full charge via the USB? I can't seem to find any concrete evidence to state that it charges to full capacity or just partial (I seem to remember that it doesn't charge to full capacity, but I'm not sure..). I'd prefer to leave my chargers at home instead of carrying them with me all the time. I already have my MBP charger cable so I thought about changing to an USB charger and charge via the laptop's USB. Already carrying enough metal with me [​IMG]

-Qtis

2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    It is possible. I've done it several times (USB charging with computer on while asleep).

3. Qtis
    OP

Antarctica
    Do you receive full capacity (ie full charge) with the USB? I've figured that not all devices receive enough current (Voltage or Amperes, can't remember which is the case here) to get the max charge via USB.

-Qtis

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    "Enough current to get max charge"? If it's providing enough current to charge the battery at all (that is giving more than is being expended) it will eventually reach max charge.

But yes, my actual charger broke so I used a USB one for like a week and it worked just fine.

5. TheTwoR's

Member TheTwoR's Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D

Belgium
    As long as power is being transferred, then yeah it should go up to max.
    I use a USB cable all the time, and I often use that USB to power adapter.
    My laptop isn't always on for me to charge my XL from [​IMG]

6. Qtis
    OP

Antarctica
    Indeed I was a bit misleading since I couldn't remember the correct English term for getting max charge for the battery. Thanks for the info you all! Now the question is where to get a good charger for a good price. Doesn't have to be necessarily the cheapest one, but I know I'm not gonna pay Gamestop or someone else 25-30e for a charger [​IMG]

Any suggestions on where to buy a USB charger for the DSL/DSiXL?

-Qtis

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  8. Qtis
    OP

Antarctica
    Indeed a good point. I have thought about buying it but it'll have to wait for at least a few days. Gotta check out the different options. There are 2in1 solutions out there but I'd rather buy 2 separate cables since I don't necessarily need both of them. But the review did mention about the need for a charger if you can charge it with the normal charger. A good point but since it is quite a bit easier to charge it with the USB (smaller cable and don't need to carry the bulk charger with you). But then again I could just leave my DSL home and carry the DSiXL only with me. Hmm.. decisions, decisions :3

-Qtis

9. Mario92

Member Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    It charges via usb allright but it is almost two times slower than with normal charger. If you have that time then there's no problem but I would buy also this one just in case: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultra-mini-us...0-240v-ac-26753

I own ZTE Blade and DS lite and charge both via usb cable on computer or charger adapter (like one in link but differend model).