Hardware Charging Switch: Exact Needs of the system?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sumea
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 5,275
  • Replies Replies 26
Still not enough for a Switch.
Take one of this, you should be good to go.
Downside it can be a little bulky.
1024164810.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Deleted User
The switch won't draw more than 2A at any voltage, so in this case it's more voltage you need. (because W = V * A)

Source?
test it with my chargers and there was a reviewer that tested a lot of chargers.
The system doesnt charger on a normal 5v charge while playing. It just slows the battery drain
 
Ok, smart ass. Then tell me why the car charger supplies 5v @ 3amps?

Mic drop.
Because Hori is a 3rd party company and they don't know how the Switch works? I don't know how they think, maybe they just relabeled an existing product as being for the Switch. Look at some power tests, the Switch absolutely will not draw more than 2A.
 
Because Hori is a 3rd party company and they don't know how the Switch works? I don't know how they think, maybe they just relabeled an existing product as being for the Switch. Look at some power tests, the Switch absolutely will not draw more than 2A.
Well, looks like we're both right and we're both wrong.

1) I just tested. Played my Switch down to 80% and plugged it into an iPad charger (5.1v @2.1A) using the USB cable that came with the Switch Pro controller for about an hour and kept playing. It's now at 97%. Case closed. It can charge while playing with that input.

2) Where I was wrong: Thought it fishy with 15v on a USB input (never paid much attention to the "fast charging" specs or USB 3.1+) but it says right on the console 15V @ 2.6A. Edit: and the article I just linked to below doesn't use a very accurate testing method, but it can't be THAT far off, and it agrees with what you say about the amperage.

Either way, I was right to begin with. Even though it seems slow, you will increase your battery charge while playing with a simple 5v 2.1A powerbank/plug.

Edit: And An article that both proves you correct on the Amperage, and me correct that a 5v 2.1A charger will provide a bit more than it uses while undocked (<9watts ) (and... as if I needed an article since I just proved it for myself anyway): http://www.anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switch-power-consumption/2

@xile6
@Sumea
 
Last edited by urherenow,
Well, looks like we're both right and we're both wrong.

1) I just tested. Played my Switch down to 80% and plugged it into an iPad charger (5.1v @2.1A) using the USB cable that came with the Switch Pro controller for about an hour and kept playing. It's now at 97%. Case closed. It can charge while playing with that input.

2) Where I was wrong: Thought it fishy with 15v on a USB input (never paid much attention to the "fast charging" specs or USB 3.1+) but it says right on the console 15V @ 2.6A. Edit: and the article I just linked to below doesn't use a very accurate testing method, but it can't be THAT far off, and it agrees with what you say about the amperage.

Either way, I was right to begin with. Even though it seems slow, you will increase your battery charge while playing with a simple 5v 2.1A powerbank/plug.

Edit: And An article that both proves you correct on the Amperage, and me correct that a 5v 2.1A charger will provide a bit more than it uses while undocked (<9watts ) (and... as if I needed an article since I just proved it for myself anyway): http://www.anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switch-power-consumption/2

@xile6
@Sumea
I never said it wouldn't be able to charge while playing at 5V@2A, in fact I said the very opposite earlier in the thread ;)
 
If a 5V 2.1A source will slowly charge, hold steady or slowly drain the battery depends on how intense you are utilizing the system. Few spend 100% of their their time in the most demanding circumstances with 100% brightness.

Personally I am not as comfortable with the joycons so I tend to more mundane tasks and exploring while portable. Old eyes.
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted