Hardware Charging Switch: Exact Needs of the system?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Still not enough for a Switch.
Take one of this, you should be good to go.
Downside it can be a little bulky.
1024164810.jpg

Reactions: Deleted User

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The switch won't draw more than 2A at any voltage, so in this case it's more voltage you need. (because W = V * A)

Source?
test it with my chargers and there was a reviewer that tested a lot of chargers.
The system doesnt charger on a normal 5v charge while playing. It just slows the battery drain

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok, smart ass. Then tell me why the car charger supplies 5v @ 3amps?

Mic drop.
Because Hori is a 3rd party company and they don't know how the Switch works? I don't know how they think, maybe they just relabeled an existing product as being for the Switch. Look at some power tests, the Switch absolutely will not draw more than 2A.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because Hori is a 3rd party company and they don't know how the Switch works? I don't know how they think, maybe they just relabeled an existing product as being for the Switch. Look at some power tests, the Switch absolutely will not draw more than 2A.
Well, looks like we're both right and we're both wrong.

1) I just tested. Played my Switch down to 80% and plugged it into an iPad charger (5.1v @2.1A) using the USB cable that came with the Switch Pro controller for about an hour and kept playing. It's now at 97%. Case closed. It can charge while playing with that input.

2) Where I was wrong: Thought it fishy with 15v on a USB input (never paid much attention to the "fast charging" specs or USB 3.1+) but it says right on the console 15V @ 2.6A. Edit: and the article I just linked to below doesn't use a very accurate testing method, but it can't be THAT far off, and it agrees with what you say about the amperage.

Either way, I was right to begin with. Even though it seems slow, you will increase your battery charge while playing with a simple 5v 2.1A powerbank/plug.

Edit: And An article that both proves you correct on the Amperage, and me correct that a 5v 2.1A charger will provide a bit more than it uses while undocked (<9watts ) (and... as if I needed an article since I just proved it for myself anyway): http://www.anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switch-power-consumption/2

@xile6
@Sumea

Last edited by urherenow,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well, looks like we're both right and we're both wrong.

1) I just tested. Played my Switch down to 80% and plugged it into an iPad charger (5.1v @2.1A) using the USB cable that came with the Switch Pro controller for about an hour and kept playing. It's now at 97%. Case closed. It can charge while playing with that input.

2) Where I was wrong: Thought it fishy with 15v on a USB input (never paid much attention to the "fast charging" specs or USB 3.1+) but it says right on the console 15V @ 2.6A. Edit: and the article I just linked to below doesn't use a very accurate testing method, but it can't be THAT far off, and it agrees with what you say about the amperage.

Either way, I was right to begin with. Even though it seems slow, you will increase your battery charge while playing with a simple 5v 2.1A powerbank/plug.

Edit: And An article that both proves you correct on the Amperage, and me correct that a 5v 2.1A charger will provide a bit more than it uses while undocked (<9watts ) (and... as if I needed an article since I just proved it for myself anyway): http://www.anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switch-power-consumption/2

@xile6
@Sumea
I never said it wouldn't be able to charge while playing at 5V@2A, in fact I said the very opposite earlier in the thread ;)

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a 5V 2.1A source will slowly charge, hold steady or slowly drain the battery depends on how intense you are utilizing the system. Few spend 100% of their their time in the most demanding circumstances with 100% brightness.

Personally I am not as comfortable with the joycons so I tend to more mundane tasks and exploring while portable. Old eyes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1