Charger interchange?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by bobfacemoo, May 7, 2016.

1. bobfacemoo
    OP

bobfacemoo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2016
    OKay I got a 3DS XL from the US but I only have an EU socket charger, I know the US uses different voltage etc, is it safe to use my EU charger on a US 3DS? It plugs into the mains electricity so I'm unsure..

2. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Possibly though I wouldn't recommend it. You can either get a power transformer or just get a USB charging cable and a USB wall charger.

3. TheDuckMan64

TheDuckMan64 Chicken nugget.

Oct 9, 2015
    It's completely fine to do.

4. annson24

annson24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2016
    Your 3ds won break whether you use us,eu,jp,etc socket charger. They all have the same output, however, you might want to check the inputs. The charger might (it will) break if the charger is designed for 110V and you plug it on a 220V. Frequency is also a factor, if the charger is designed to take 50Hz, and you plug it in a socket which gives 60Hz, your charger will eventually break (not instantly, but sooner or later it will burn out).

Ps. I'm an electrical engineer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5. bobfacemoo
    OP

bobfacemoo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2016
    Yeah it's a 220V input going into a 220V socket. Just wondered if it'd fry the internal of my 3DS was all. Nice to know it's safe and I don't need to fork out money for a specific charger for it.

6. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    The charger would break way before the 3ds would. I just spliced a USB cable and made a usb-3ds charger.

Plugging an eu charger into the US plug won't break the ds. The other way around might thiugh. Usb is the best way to go.