ReGa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,

Is there a list of the charging currents and the resulting cause here? (for the Nintendo Switch)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You want some kind of diagnostics pathway associated with different charging currents*/voltage readings at points (possibly currents at a given time) or some kind of what part gobbles what amount of current?

I am not aware of anything quite so formal publicly shared for the Switch as we have for various mobile phones, laptops and whatnot (and most of those are leaked schematics or officially released manuals). There are a few people that note a certain current on a non working device means you want to check ? chip or something but big list is not something I have seen (you would normally see it as a copy past/link to check answer), however I am quite prepared to be wrong.

*for those unaware then modern electronics tend not to be dumb devices that take all the power they can get the instant you plug the device in. Usually one thing livens up another, and then another, and maybe restricts until other stuff is done. All this also sending different voltage signals around the place.
Measure the current draw over short periods of time, and measure voltages at given points relative to other points (aka why you have an oscilloscope with capture features) and you can learn what is not outputting the signals as seen in a healthy device and thus what chips (or the traces and passives surrounding them) are not doing their job and thus what you might want to repair/replace/analyse further. It gets marginally more complicated with batteries in the mix (fully charged vs partially charged vs deep discharge vs charged by cooling off...) and power levels (standby vs powered vs sleeping vs...) but not by much.

Reactions: ReGa

ReGa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What I mean are the values (input currents) that can be measured with the amp meter on the USB-C port. With this measurement, certain errors / defects can already be determined. I thought that there might be a list of the values and their possible causes. I hope that I have expressed myself clearly and sorry for my bad English 🙈 in German it would be easier for me. 😉😬

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I figured it would probably be that, and no worries about language; you made a good faith effort so people are generally happy to play along.

If you have searched and found a few threads on different current draws and what people have replied you would probably have more than I have seen publicly posted as a diagnostic list.

I had meant to get a Switch and characterise things, possibly even induce a few failures and characterise those as well, however lack of funds for something with no games did put an end to that one for now. Maybe if I find one going cheap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s