Changing Cases?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by wilddenim, Apr 30, 2008.

Apr 30, 2008

Changing Cases? by wilddenim at 12:20 AM (1,973 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. wilddenim
    OP

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    Is there a video on how to change cases?

My DS Lite is black but I'd love to change it to Translucent Pink. Is it easy to change cases? I've changed GBA cases and nearly stomped on it in frustration!

Another question: websites that sell this? I know DealExtreme sell this but after reading some reviews I'm kinda put off.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. airpirate545

Member airpirate545 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  3. wilddenim
    OP

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    Oooh I haven't seen that one. Thanks. But I'd like it if I get a video link too? Thanks again [​IMG]

4. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    I'm assuming you have the tri wing driver that you require to get into a DS correct? Cause ya ain't going anywhere without it.

5. krazykirk

Member krazykirk GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing too. I have a white DSL, and i'm thinking of going half black.

I bought a replacement shell off dealextreme, and it'll be here soon hopefully..

Theres a dissassembly guide here, http://www.phosphors.com/nds/ and I did a quick search and found the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRzTgfo2PsM . The guy's voice is sorta retarded but i'm sure you can cope [​IMG] and when you're reassembling it, just play it backwards [​IMG]

6. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BJmhXZZ_j0...feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuMIfY2UxOc...feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FoCLnWSNO8...feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ho0g91Q8Ks...feature=related

Here you go, this is one video split in four, showing how to switch from black to clear casing..
    It's detailed, and pretty good, in combination with some pictures from guides, you can't mess up (actually, you can, but just take yourself time)..
    Lots of people said that it's pretty hard to mod DS yourself, but actually, you just have to be VERY careful, and take lots of time, not hurry, and you should be OK..

And yes, get yourself tri wing screwdriver, you can't do nothing without it!

7. airpirate545

Member airpirate545 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    where do you think they would mod the DS for you? don't wnat to fool with that stuff by myself....

8. wilddenim
    OP

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    Ooooh thanks for the videos! Look bit difficult... Maybe I should leave it? Have anyone changed cases and how did you experienced it?

airpirate - there's a thread where a member of GBATemp can change your cases for a small fee. Couldn't find it o.O

9. Man18

Member Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  10. gblock247

Member gblock247 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Pikachu case is pretty, but it sucks...had it less than a week and the hinge is cracking...

11. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Yah I feel that way too, mess up once and you just wasted 120 bucks. Let the pros do it, for a little money.

12. krazykirk

Australia
    I'm pretty sure if you follow the instructions carefully and take your time, and also have a bit of experience taking stuff apart [​IMG] you'll be fine... when my replacement case gets here next week i'll tell you how i go with it and if i break it or not haha [​IMG]

13. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    Yes, it does look difficult, but I'm planning to do some modding too..I'm waiting new case, and it should come every day now!!
    When it comes, I'll see if I'm going to do it on my own, or ask the guy I know that's good with those stuff..

Lots of people said that everything you need is time and good will to do it..Just be careful, and don't hurry.

14. HowlingMad

Newcomer HowlingMad Newbie

United States
    To all:
    The phospors.com description is the most accurate. The youtube video is the one that has a problem. After removing the battery, you only want to remove the one screw in the corner. The screw towards the middle is the second screw that mounts the mainboard in the case. You should not remove this screw! You can cause yourself problems by flexing the main board and damaging it or by knocking the L paddle switch off. The screw I am referring to has a white ring on the main board. You will need to remove this screw EVENTUALLY but doing it before you get the case off is trouble.

Also when separating the bottom shell from the lower screen plate (where all of the buttons are): Partially pry the lower shell off as noted in the video and then use your thumbnail and slide it around the edge of the case. This will separate the two pieces without damaging the two plastic tabs that are located above the slot 2 opening.

I normally repair about 20 DS lites a month for my customers and flexing the main board is NOT a good idea, as with most electronics. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions regarding sales@gamehospital.biz.
    Thanks Bob

15. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    Wow, thank you for the info..This is some good stuff to know..(when I begin to change cases and mod my DS Lite, if I'll have some questions, be sure I'll use this mail adress of yours [​IMG] )

And great first post too!! Welcome.

16. krazykirk

Australia
    Wow that's really good advice! I'll be sure to use it [​IMG]

Thanks!

17. krazykirk

Australia
    Alright! I've cracked my ds open, and changed half the case! But I cheated and did it the easy way, I only poped open the bottom part and replaced it, then I unscrewed the top screen part and switched that part over. When taking it apart, be careful of the shoulder buttons. They fell off so many times for me.. >_< and they're annoying to reset... but it really wasn't that hard.

I'll post pictures soon! [​IMG]