Misc Chaining Routers (Internet>Router1>Router2)

montymintypie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Top title explains most of it...

Got an Airport Extreme connected to the magical world of the internets through an ethernet cable from my modem.

This is the wireless router for our comps (uses WPA2).

I have an old Netgear router which I want to chain up through ethernet to the Airport.

I'm going to make the SSID not broadcast, MAC filtering etc to make it as secure as WEP can get.

I want to be able to access the internet + the computers connected to the airport via their assigned IP's. I don't want to set up tunnels for each individual computer.

1: Possible? Yes
2: Do I know how? No. I've been fiddling with IP's, static, DHCP, WAN, LAN and I'm over it. It's been a bitch to set up. I need help!
wacko.gif

Thanks in advance. Aren't you glad it's not another 'Can my DS do WPA?' question!

My proposed setup:

|Modem||Airport||Netgear||DS|

The DS and wireless computer should be able to communicate in the final setup (for retail game dumping).

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Many routers can be set to something like "AP only", which will be your choice of communication method. I have a similar setup myself, but with wired and not so:
Modem Linux Router (wired) Switch Switch ASUS Wireless router (configured as AP only) Laptop.

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fat D has the right idea.

You should be able to hook the airport up like you have now directly to the interwebs. On your netgear you need to get into its web interface and make it an access point (I would do this with the router hooked directly up to a computer, its just easier than trying to find it out on the network). Then simply take a ethernet cable from the back of the airport into the netgear(not the wan port).

By doing it this way, you can keep the firewall and any routing options you have set in the airport. Just make sure to lock down the netgear.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Also, if things like DHCP, Isolation, NAT or a Firewall are active, kill them. Set the router's IP to a unique one in the same subnet as your existing LAN. If there is no AP mode, you can try only to disable DHCP and connect it to your router via a LAN port instead of a WAN one.

montymintypie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It worked! I can't believe it could be this easy....

Made the router's IP 192.168.0.2, in case .1 was conflicting. Didn't touch the internet settings cause it won't be plugged into the WAN port, disabled DHCP for connecting clients, and everything worked!

Thanks again!
laugh.gif

Also, is this as secure as WEP can be?

WEP key
MAC filtering
No SSID broadcast

And the MAC addresses can't be sniffed because I'm not on the DS much.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
montymintypie said:
Also, is this as secure as WEP can be?

WEP key
MAC filtering
No SSID broadcast

And the MAC addresses can't be sniffed because I'm not on the DS much.

As secure as a wet paper bag.
wink.gif

It's the lack of WPA support on the DS Lite that I no longer game online with my DS.

If your router supports it I'd suggest changing to a different subnetwork as a security measure. You are exposing computers connected to your Airport by having the Netgear router on the same subnetwork. Ideally you want anything connected to the Netgear unable to see anything connected to the Airport, due to how weak WEP is.

montymintypie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, seeing as I'm wanting homebrew connectivity, yes.
smile.gif

Actually, I was testing, and found it didn't work. Seems homebrew doesn't like hidden SSID's...

Apart from that, it all works fine now. Swapped my 5m Cat5 for a much more reasonable 1m one, and I don't even need to add my computer to the MAC filtering list, because I just admin it through the airport!

Hooray for wireless zen!
laugh.gif

Posts merged

Bugger, I can't edit the title to [Solved]. Mod/admin can you do it?

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Edhel said:
Ideally you want anything connected to the Netgear unable to see anything connected to the Airport, due to how weak WEP is.
The question here is whether this works, seeing that there is a fair amount of homebrew that works best with DSPC communication.

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turn off the netgear when not in use. Security issue solved...well at least if your not using it very long, and you don't have any tech savy neighboors

montymintypie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I reckon I can leave it on, as for MAC spoofing to work, you need to find the MAC address to spoof, and I won't be using my DS enough for that to be an issue. And yeah, I need the DSPC connectivity for dumping my games.

I might also just turn it off anyway, it's not like it's hard to plug in a router when I want to play
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==