CD Projekt Red apologizes for Cyberpunk's poor performance and reveals plans for the game's future

72844286b7f6556a3374df207f5d606ebed63a87.jpg

Despite having already been released, Cyberpunk 2077 is still seeing more delays. In a statement, both as a video with CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwiński and as a text Q&A, released on their website today, developer CD Projekt Red addressed the technical issues that has plagued the game since launch and laid out their plans for how to handle things in the future. A large patch will be coming in the next ten days, with another large patch to follow "in the weeks after," along with more regular updates and improvements. The studio had originally planned to release free DLC in early 2021, but have shifted their priority to fixing bugs, so those DLCs have been delayed and will be released afterwards. More details on the DLCs can be expected in the following months. Similarly, the next-gen updates for Xbox Series X|S and Playstation 5 have also been delayed to the second half of 2021, originally slated for release in Q1 2021.

Also in the statement are details on the technical issues that led to the game's poor performance and multiple delays. He explains that Cyberpunk 2077 featured a multitude of custom objects and interacting systems, and having the game take place in a large city, in a "relatively loading-free environment," taxed older consoles' "streaming" systems. "Streaming is responsible for 'feeding' the engine with what you see on screen, as well as the game mechanics," reads the statement. "Since the city is so packed and the disk bandwidth of old-gen consoles is what it is, this is something that constantly challenged us." It also explains that they prioritized graphical fidelity on the PC version and then tried to adjust it for consoles, which caused more issues.

While the Q&A is more or less a transcript of the video for the most part, there are a few points in the Q&A not mentioned in the video. Namely, on the topic of crunch, CD Projekt claims that avoiding crunch will be a top priority for them in the future. This language is notably less definitive than their previous promises to stop crunch altogether, which they were not able to keep during Cyberpunk 2077's development. They also re-affirm that they are continuing the refund program, and that they are still working to get the game back on the Playstation Store.

:arrow: Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can't wait for the next gen upgrade and the DLC. I've unlocked two out of the six endings (don't let people fool ya into thinking there's only five, they're wrong) and I'm leaving the rest of the game for when it really shines on current gens. My PS5 wants to see some of that raytracing.

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
They should rather apologize for the poor endings and no impact of player's choices, all leading to the same outcome. They should apologize for marketing that game as an RPG, even though it's rather a digital book, and not even a good one.
Man, there are so many things that they need to apologize for.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait for the next gen upgrade and the DLC. I've unlocked two out of the six endings (don't let people fool ya into thinking there's only five, they're wrong) and I'm leaving the rest of the game for when it really shines on current gens. My PS5 wants to see some of that raytracing.
You seem like just that person I have a question regarding Cyberpunk 2077 ... I was enjoying it just before Xmas & I'm on pc 1440p Ultra settings... No crashes.. A few almost funny glitchy bits here and there... I think it's a great game... & I'm definitely going back to it.. Been into VR since Xmas as I got a oculus quest 2 for myself...
Anyways... 2 questions
1. Are the cars & bikes always that slippery.... That's bugged me out a bit...
2 more importantly I was at a part where I was on a rooftop with that cyber chick and I was asked to do something.. Either take a pill or something else.. Been a while.. I sim8cant remember what I did.. As I'm a stoner.. Always working & generally forgetful anyways... What do I choose as I tempted to get back on & give my dear eyes a rest finally from VR'ing...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You seem like just that person I have a question regarding Cyberpunk 2077 ... I was enjoying it just before Xmas & I'm on pc 1440p Ultra settings... No crashes.. A few almost funny glitchy bits here and there... I think it's a great game... & I'm definitely going back to it.. Been into VR since Xmas as I got a oculus quest 2 for myself...
Anyways... 2 questions
1. Are the cars & bikes always that slippery.... That's bugged me out a bit...
2 more importantly I was at a part where I was on a rooftop with that cyber chick and I was asked to do something.. Either take a pill or something else.. Been a while.. I sim8cant remember what I did.. As I'm a stoner.. Always working & generally forgetful anyways... What do I choose as I tempted to get back on & give my dear eyes a rest finally from VR'ing...
1. Yes, most of them are slippery. Bikes are better, super high-end cars are better, but it's mostly a matter of getting used to the driving mechanics.
2. If it's the section I'm thinking about...
Depending on which pill you take you will continue the game as either Johnny Silverhand or as V. You can also say no to both and choose to end it there and then, but that's an unsatisfying "game over" ending. Your choice here will affect the ending, you're not far off from finishing the game.

Last edited by Foxi4,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Ohhhh it's going to be a while before it's the it gets an update for the new generation of hardware. That's too bad. Do I keep playing or wait til it gets a proper PS5 release? Then again, maybe it'll never come.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

1. Yes, most of them are slippery. Bikes are better, super high-end cars are better, but it's mostly a matter of getting used to the driving mechanics.
2. If it's the section I'm thinking about...

Depending on which pill you take you will continue the game as either Johnny Silverhand or as V. You can also say no to both and choose to end it there and then, but that's an unsatisfying "game over" ending. Your choice here will affect the ending, you're not far off from finishing the game.
Oh a spolier.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ohhhh it's going to be a while before it's the it gets an update for the new generation of hardware. That's too bad. Do I keep playing or wait til it gets a proper PS5 release? Then again, maybe it'll never come.
I recommend playing it all the way through. There are plenty of incentives to get back into it when it gets and update, and most of the endings are really satisfying, not to mention pretty trippy.

Oh a spolier.
Not really. The game explains what the pills do at the very start. :P

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I recommend playing it all the way through. There are plenty of incentives to get back into it when it gets and update, and most of the endings are really satisfying, not to mention pretty trippy.

Not really. The game explains what the pills do at the very start. :P
Lol, Im at a point int he game were we are looking for solutions to remove the relic, so there is some suggestion that V's multiple personality disorder could be reversed through Akasaka tech--not that a choice between one of two personalities must be made.

Reactions: Deleted User

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2. If it's the section I'm thinking about, depending on which pill you take you will continue the game as either Johnny Silverhand or as V. You can also say no to both and choose to end it there and then, but that's an unsatisfying "game over" ending. Your choice here will affect the ending, you're not far off from finishing the game.
Yeah & me being me I was button mashing through their conversation... Pick exactly the wrong thing... Went through the longest credits ever since Zelda MM... Thinking I'd load my save & things would continue.. But... Noooo oh well like I said a great game
7.5 / 10.. But I must say while it was good in parts in the back of my head there was many moments when I was thinking this is the 1st reals next Gen Game by its style and graphics & details... Really popped out.. Shame it wasn't perfect it could have been legendary...

Lol, Im at a point int he game were we are looking for solutions to remove the relic, so there is some suggestion that V's multiple personality disorder could be reversed through Akasaka tech--not that a choice between one of two personalities must be made.
Button mashing aways like always me... Lol

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's more about who goes in to do the deed rather than about the decision on who stays in the body for good. You'll see, trust me. I'll spoiler it just in case though. ;)

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's more about who goes in to do the deed rather than about the decision on who stays in the body for good. You'll see, trust me. I'll spoiler it just in case though. ;)
I'm sure that wasn't the ending climax. Thanks for encouraging me to continue. Did you take advantage of the space oddity money glitch?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm sure that wasn't the ending climax. Thanks for encouraging me to continue. Did you take advantage of the space oddity money glitch?
I have for the purposes of trophy hunting. Enemies in the main quest seem to scale, but those in gigs are at specific levels of difficulty. Cars are also prohibitively expensive. Cloned loads of items to get the gear I needed and I feel no shame - the actual missions still require skill to finish, I just wasn't willing to be punished for not having enough eddies. Had I finished the game first and *then* returned to the side quests, I would've had enough money for sure.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh a spolier.
Is it really that bad on ps5 I thought it was just ps4 & Xbox one... The ps5 looks like a powerful console I can't afford one atm but one day..

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Is it really that bad on ps5 I thought it was just ps4 & Xbox one... The ps5 looks like a powerful console I can't afford one atm but one day..
It crashes quite a bit, but there's significantly less issues than on PS4. Still the same binary, so it has the same problems, but the faster hardware helps heaps. Haven't played the latest update though.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Really looking forward to patch 1.1 tho They really should've delayed the game till march.
Even if they did fix the last gen version of the game... Reviewers would have 2 days to review it. Either it's a shitty crunch job on part of the reviewers or the product wont be in a presentable state. The game really needed another delay.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If they ever fix the bug with stairs I hope someone unpatches it because it makes me laugh every time it happens. Granted it might already be fixed, I played on hotfix 1.04

Still a great game on PC. I feel a bit bad for CD Projekt Red, but hey I won't complain about free DLC.

It's funny to see all the people who clearly never actually played the game are usually the ones crying the most about it because their favourite twitcher told 'em to.

D

Deleted User

The native PS5 and XBOX Series versions of Cyberpunk get a rather late release next year.:mellow:
Edit: Why not announce a Switch port for 2023 while they are at it?

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol