Homebrew CaVE Database Manager - A SNES, NES, N64, Genesis Switch Online modding App

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brothers in arms, is there any way to make Game Boy games run in black and white mode on Game Boy Color filter on Game Boy Nintendo Switch Online? Or a mod to make Game Boy Pocket mode display in black and white?

I do this, but in the opposite direction.

I will set the default color palette to Pocket (or DMG), and then any original Gameboy games that have good color palettes (Donkey Kong '94, or Pokemon Yellow for example) I will rename those games with a *.gbc extension instead of a *.gb extension.

That way those particular games will get the GBC color palette, but the regular Gameboy games will get the DMG/Pocket palette.

Edit: I might have misread your comment. I'm not sure if someone has done a gray scale of the filter for either DMG or Pocket modes. Gray scale because the original Gameboy actually had a 4 color scale. For simplicity sake, we will say its Black, White, and then two shades of gray. But as far as I've seen, there's only the shades of green that are available from the DMG/Pocket palettes.

Edit:
What a terrible, pointless workaround to avoid just using the proper options that are specifically designed for that.

Ignore this terrible advise and just use the Platform option in CaVE instead.

Wow... Any time I take a break from this thread for a while, someone posts some uncorrected horrible advise...

Disregard my previous advice.
Enable the "Advanced Info" column under view and just change the platform of the rom to what you to change.

Last edited by hartleyshc,

Nintendoswitchmodfan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do this, but in the opposite direction.

I will set the default color palette to Pocket (or DMG), and then any original Gameboy games that have good color palettes (Donkey Kong '94, or Pokemon Yellow for example) I will rename those games with a *.gbc extension instead of a *.gb extension.

That way those particular games will get the GBC color palette, but the regular Gameboy games will get the DMG/Pocket palette.
I will give it a shot right now and let you know how I do, working on SNES as well and am failing to load a single game TOT sfrom tool and all used and still no victory..rip my life TOT

Also, forgot to ask, how do I set the color palette? is it on cave database manager?

ok, so I think i figured out how to make it GBP mode, under Advanced info. Guess it only works on the specified games?..

Last edited by Nintendoswitchmodfan,

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will give it a shot right now and let you know how I do, working on SNES as well and am failing to load a single game TOT sfrom tool and all used and still no victory..rip my life TOT

Also, forgot to ask, how do I set the color palette? is it on cave database manager?

ok, so I think i figured out how to make it GBP mode, under Advanced info. Guess it only works on the specified games?..
Yes, I should have clarified a bit more.

I set the GB palette mode in GB NSO itself under advance settings. Personally I like the pocket palette.

Then for the actual roms that you load into CaVE, I will rename certain games to gbc instead of gb. This will make the emulator load it as a GBC game instead of a GB game. So it will get that Color palette.

There's only a handful of games that have their own color palettes. Here is the list from the Gameboy Color wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Color#Color_palettes

Edit:
What a terrible, pointless workaround to avoid just using the proper options that are specifically designed for that.

Wow... Any time I take a break from this thread for a while, someone posts some uncorrected horrible advise...

Disregard my previous advice.
Enable the "Advanced Info" column under view and just change the platform of the rom you want to change.

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Then for the actual roms that you load into CaVE, I will rename certain games to gbc instead of gb. This will make the emulator load it as a GBC game instead of a GB game. So it will get that Color palette.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sorry about that. I didn't even see the option as I didn't have Advanced Info enabled under View.

Updated my previous posts and linked to your comment on the proper way on to handle this.

Previous News (06-23-23)

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CaVE v1.4.6 rar package has been updated to include support for the latest GBA Online update, v1.3.0.0.

EDIT:

Another CaVE update has since been released. v1.4.6.3 inside the rar.

This update includes support for the 2 new lclassics.titlesdb params "anothertitle_guides" (not displayed in CaVE), and "transfer_title" (displayed in CaVE). Proper parsing/display of the change to "compatible_titles" is add. And a few minor fixes.

Last edited by DarkAkuma,

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might want to look into multiplayer with different games for GBA NSO because it works now.

If you mean Local Multiplayer. It worked before, as far as I know.

And if you specifically mean the "different games" part... I swear someone reported back to me that they were able to do a Goldensun 1 to 2 save transfer before. Since like v1.0.

EDIT:

The tweet does not load for me (outside of my own reply...), so I was replying to just the text with no other context.

That said, I'm not sure I understand what they changed here with this UI you are showing. All I can say is, I have done what I can to make CaVE compatible with allowing users to make use of Local Multiplayer. Multi and Single pack games, and connecting 2 different games via the compatible_titles option. I made sure that users got consistent Code values between custom GB/GBC/GBA games, and that they could type them into CaVE compatible_titles field easily to support them.

My own tests using tunneling only went so far. So I sufficed with reports.

LuigiBlood

Mage Robot
Trophies
Website
luigiblood.neocities.org
XP
Country
France
If you mean Local Multiplayer. It worked before, as far as I know.

And if you specifically mean the "different games" part... I swear someone reported back to me that they were able to do a Goldensun 1 to 2 save transfer before. Since like v1.0.
I do specifically mean the different games part... <snip>
You could transfer the Golden Sun save with a password.
The UI needed for players to select different games was simply not present at all until this update.

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do specifically mean the different games part... <snip>
You could transfer the Golden Sun save with a password.
The UI needed for players to select different games was simply not present at all until this update.

I was editing to clarify more...

But ill add here that, it was my understanding that such a UI was not needed. Just supplying the Code value to the other game under compatible_titles. That was all that was needed for 2 different games to connect.

If not... I guess my limited ability to test, and limit affinity for the app held me back from learning this earlier.

LuigiBlood

Mage Robot
Trophies
Website
luigiblood.neocities.org
XP
Country
France
I was editing to clarify more...

But ill add here that, it was my understanding that such a UI was not needed. Just supplying the Code value to the other game under compatible_titles. That was all that was needed for 2 different games to connect.

If not... I guess my limited ability to test, and limit affinity for the app held me back from learning this earlier.
Oh maybe for one game in particular, perhaps, but now it can support more at a time.

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lets see if I am finally starting to understand correctly.

Lets say we have Pokemon Emerald and Sapphire (think these are relevant games, but not absolutely sure. doesnt matter). One is A-EMER_e, the other is A-SAPP_e, for clarity.

I think what you are getting at is that, for both you could set "compatible_titles": [ "A-EMER_e", "A-SAPP_e" ]. But when 2 users would go to load them in multiplayer, the host would select Emerald, and the client would have no ability to load Sapphire at all. His side would just auto load Emerald too.

So this new UI element now allows the client a choice in that?

This would make sense, and fit with my limited testing and explain my lack of understanding. I suppose... if this is the case, before the only way to do this would be to miss name the code value on one side. like the client side would have had to set his copy of Sapphire's code value to A-EMER_e.

EDIT:

Meh. Well, either way... now that I look at the titlesdb of the Eastern app... I see 2 new params, and another change Ill need to make. So CaVE is not 100% with this update yet. If you are using the Western app, you are fine. But Eastern app users will be missing some things with a db made with cave for now.

Reactions: hartleyshc

javier_himura

Trophies
XP
Country
I have noticed a difference between a stock database in NSO app with the mod installed and the NSO app without the mod.
Without the mod, the European APP shows a text box in the game selection with the text "European" to differentiate European versions from the USA version. The same with games with multiple languages.

Particularly the latest Fire Emblem GBA game shows English Français Deutsch in one pal version and English Español Italiano in the other, but with the mod installed, even with the three games included, without touching anything in the database, the languages textbox disappears.

Another improvement that could be great would be to show this information on the Database. I use the mod to remove duplicated language versions to keep only one version (usually the one in Spanish), but most of the time, I have to use trial and error to know which ROM to remove.

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have noticed a difference between a stock database in NSO app with the mod installed and the NSO app without the mod.
Without the mod, the European APP shows a text box in the game selection with the text "European" to differentiate European versions from the USA version. The same with games with multiple languages.

Particularly the latest Fire Emblem GBA game shows English Français Deutsch in one pal version and English Español Italiano in the other, but with the mod installed, even with the three games included, without touching anything in the database, the languages textbox disappears.

Another improvement that could be great would be to show this information on the Database. I use the mod to remove duplicated language versions to keep only one version (usually the one in Spanish), but most of the time, I have to use trial and error to know which ROM to remove.

Thats called "Display Version". And its already supported with CaVE. Though... in v1.4.6 is only supported with N64, GB, and GBA, and specifically with games marked as PAL.

Its supported fully, in all apps, with all games in the v1.5 revamp I am working on. I will not be addressing the issue fully in v1.4.6 so as not to be constantly working on the same things in 2 builds, and to have more of a reason for people to switch to v1.5 when I release it. But in the next build of v1.4.6 to address the new/change titlesdb params, I already included these X and Y tags so these games will display that correctly.

EDIT:

The CaVE v1.4.6 rar has been updated (inside its v1.4.6.3).

This update includes support for the 2 new lclassics.titlesdb params, proper parsing/display of the change to compatible_titles. And a few minor fixes like the one mentioned above.

Previous News (06-27-23)

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CaVE v1.4.6 has been updated for Genesis/Mega Drive Online v2.6.0.0!

In case you did not see the post edits after the last update, I corrected some bugs/issues with the exe. Things related to the Japanese (Only?) GBA Multipak Multiplayer with different games feature, some adjustments to accommodate X and Y region types (Used with Multi-Language PAL ROMs), and some minor issues with the Display Version param.

Also, since many did not see it, I am re-posting this here...

FYI, since I have not mentioned it much here. The current public release branch of CaVE is a low priority for me right now. I just try to maintain the up-to-date databases is all. My current focus is on a unreleased Alpha build of a CaVE revamp. Not quite like my old plans for CaVE 2.0, hence why this is CaVE v1.5. I have re-written a lot of the code, and have been making strides to re-design and enhance a lot of the visuals and functionality.

My aim with the revamp project is to eliminate as much of the guide/FAQ and general confusion that I can, while also bringing some of the older code more inline with the newer code. But more than that, I have been trying to incorporate some long desired ideas. Like in app mod management, and save management. While also taking existing feature that are underused and bringing them to the forefront, like language replacement (primarily for making the Japanese apps more usable with English menus or whatever language you use), and the Export Database function.

I just wanted to inform people so they know why I am slacking on v1.4.6 updates and bugs. I don't want to invest a lot of time into v1.4.6 that could be better spent on v1.5, or doing the same fixes and changes twice between the versions.

I have no ETA for when v1.5 will be done, but it is moving along well. Here's a list of changes and screenshot with plenty of changes to notice.

Notable Changes​

• Enhanced UI. Reorganized, more aesthetically pleasing, and simplified.
  • Designed specifically with exporting (syncing) databases via CaVE in mind.
  • Brought back tracking of what version of the app your database is for.
  • New Mods management system. No manual installation. (Including the Full Unlock!)
  • New Saves management system. Browse/export/delete/add/replace saves directly on your card.
  • Code re-written to be more stable... in the long run...
  • Innate support for using NA/EU/BR/RU/KO languages in the JA/CH app. And vice versa.
  • New tutorial popups for new users, to help get them started.
  • New Easter Egg game to find hidden in the app! =)

CaVE_v1_5_Preview.png

LuigiBlood

Mage Robot
Trophies
Website
luigiblood.neocities.org
XP
Country
France
Lets see if I am finally starting to understand correctly.

Lets say we have Pokemon Emerald and Sapphire (think these are relevant games, but not absolutely sure. doesnt matter). One is A-EMER_e, the other is A-SAPP_e, for clarity.

I think what you are getting at is that, for both you could set "compatible_titles": [ "A-EMER_e", "A-SAPP_e" ]. But when 2 users would go to load them in multiplayer, the host would select Emerald, and the client would have no ability to load Sapphire at all. His side would just auto load Emerald too.

So this new UI element now allows the client a choice in that?

This would make sense, and fit with my limited testing and explain my lack of understanding. I suppose... if this is the case, before the only way to do this would be to miss name the code value on one side. like the client side would have had to set his copy of Sapphire's code value to A-EMER_e.

EDIT:

Meh. Well, either way... now that I look at the titlesdb of the Eastern app... I see 2 new params, and another change Ill need to make. So CaVE is not 100% with this update yet. If you are using the Western app, you are fine. But Eastern app users will be missing some things with a db made with cave for now.
Yes, the other user can now select either Emerald and Sapphire after the first player selects either of them. (I've put too many games in this screenshot, it doesn't scroll beyond 3, but everything works)
1687922715507.png

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the other user can now select either Emerald and Sapphire after the first player selects either of them. (I've put too many games in this screenshot, it doesn't scroll beyond 3, but everything works)

Nice. Glad I finally understood that.

The code and UI files tend be the same between region counterparts. Is this UI and feature in the Western app? Or only in the Eastern app for now? Figure I may as well ask, so I don't have to go digging. If not, all the more reason for people to use the eastern app, and with the language replacement feature of CaVE.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0