Hacking Casual Developer - Where do I start?

HexZyle

Pretty Petty Pedant
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi there, I'm a hobbyist/casual game developer looking to make some Hello World scripts or small but fun homebrew games for the Switch. I had a bit of a fiddle with the Lua engine by Rinnegatamante on the 3DS, (I only published one game though, "Eucliod") and got some rudimentary networking going between 3DS systems based on other peoples tools, and I was wondering where do I start and what languages do I need to use when making software or homebrew for the Switch?

treeforce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you want to start a serious project, you might want to wait until the scene matures a bit in terms of tool support etc. libnx *might* be more dev friendly, but we kinda need to wait until hbl gets released to find out.

If you just want to get stuck in right away, libtransistor is the way to go, see the links above me.

Reactions: I_doTinySoldering

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
check out reswitched github sure. avoid the discord if you can. there are some smart people on there, but they will discourage people from working on things like exploits and such. also there is a pyramid scheme like structure there, not unlike a cooperation the people at the top take credit for work that they did not do, but profit from directly. if you stick around long enough though, and play your cards right, you can succeed even in an environment like that. i would learn on an individual level for as long as possible and play your cards close to the vest.

Reactions: GalladeGuy

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
check out reswitched github sure. avoid the discord if you can. there are some smart people on there, but they will discourage people from working on things like exploits and such. also there is a pyramid scheme like structure there, not unlike a cooperation the people at the top take credit for work that they did not do, but profit from directly. if you stick around long enough though, and play your cards right, you can succeed even in an environment like that. i would learn on an individual level for as long as possible and play your cards close to the vest.
Really? Any proof about this? Otherwise stop saying this bullsh¡t about them.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,
Reactions: TiMeBoMb4u2

FenixElite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

*Citation needed

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the absolute fuck are you even talking about? ReSwitched actively encourages people to develop exploits. If you've ever visited the discord, you'll see an archived channel (#exploit-development) centered around non-team members exploiting the sdb sysmodule, which plays a very large part in ROHan, the exploit that allows you to run homebrew. Sure, it's archived for now, but it can be unarchived at any point in seconds if someone wants/needs to make use of it. We've *also* given our broadpwn work to a member who wanted to explore exploiting the WiFi chip in the device to play with things. We *actively* encourage people working on exploits. The one thing we *may* do is urge them to keep it private for the moment, such that a bug lasts as long as possible. However, they're free to do whatever they like with their work. The people at the top do *not* take the credit. Anyone with two eyes who has ever watched the interactions on the server could plainly see this. Credit is given where it's due. If you feel there's something which was "stolen"/no credit was given where it was due, simply contact anyone on the team, we can help resolve the issue. We also have an entire channel specifically for any non-switch related hacking and exploitation, and we help people work through CTF (Capture The Flag) challenges, which require developing an exploit in order to complete the challenge.

really, this is yet another instance of gbatemp users with talking-out-assitis. Get you facts straight before posting shit like this.

Last edited by dark_samus3,
Reactions: TiMeBoMb4u2

HexZyle

Pretty Petty Pedant
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm not developing exploits or finding vulnerabilities. Just making good use of the tools people have developed to make some small homebrew games to make getting homebrew just that little bit more worth it for the end-user.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not developing exploits or finding vulnerabilities. Just making good use of the tools people have developed to make some small homebrew games to make getting homebrew just that little bit more worth it for the end-user.
yeah, I understand, I just had to go on a little rant about people just randomly pulling facts from nowhere. You're welcome to come to the ReSwitched discord, we're friendly and will help you get everything set up and whatnot :)

reds

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
sakamoto.pl
XP
Country
Poland
I wanted to develop *something* a few weeks ago, but since I'm on 2.3.0, nothing expect some javascript html5 games would be possible for me. I agree with those who said that switch scene should mature a little bit more; In time you'll probably even have some easy to follow tutorials for newbs, now you would need to learn and understand everything yourself.

tl;dr wait a month or two

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: uoiea