Homebrew Can't transfer Wii to Wii U... Probably because of Homebrew.

TheEclipse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I know that in hacking my console, there's an inherent risk one must accept... But I made this account to see if anyone would know how to maybe fix the problem I'm having.

Today, I decided to FINALLY transfer the contents of my Wii to my Wii U. When I booted up my Wii, I was surprised to see the Homebrew Channel. I forgot that I even did that. I don't really hack my consoles normally, especially ones that I only have one of and I don't want bricked, but I guess I wasn't as cautious as back in the day. I kind of hated the Wii, and turned to the Xbox 360 halfway through that generation. To minimize the chance that something would go wrong, I deleted the channel and the data before I attempted to transfer process to the Wii U (via inserting the memory card and launching the proper channel). Unfortunately for me, once the Wii goes to check whatever it needs to on the internet, it stops and the screen turns black saying "An error occurred while accessing Wii system memory. Refer to the Wii operations manual for details."

So, I installed Homebrew so long ago that... I'm quite fuzzy on the exact details. It was many years ago. If I recall correctly, I installed it through Twilight Princess. I used something like elf.boot... And as for why I did it? Well, it wasn't to do any crazy modding or pirating or whatever. At the time, I didn't have a DvD player so I enable my Wii to play DvD's. I don't think I did anything else with it.

So, like... I don't really want to spend a lot of time to "fix" it. I don't want to have to do a bunch of crazy stuff that could potentially make the problem worse. Having my Wii stuff on my Wii U is just a "nice to have," and the Wii is otherwise completely functional. But I thought I'd ask if perhaps there was a simple way to somehow "restore" my Wii to a time before it had homebrew installed so I can transfer the contents? I'm assuming that sending it into Nintendo is "out of the question," although... now that I think about it, I had sent it in for repairs after I installed Homebrew (which I deleted) and was surprised that they bothered to fix it for me - free of charge.

Oh and... It's also a launch console and is on the latest firmware. Not sure if that makes things any different. But there you go.

Thank you for reading.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The official transfer program is not affected by homebrew – I already successfully transferred one of my Wii consoles. Like stated in this thread:

gbatemp.net/threads/hacked-wii-to-wii-u-transfer.351855

(sorry I may not post links yet) only official software will be transferred. Anything else will simply be ignored. The message sounds quite strange to me. If you did not mess around with your system and only installed the Homebrew-Channel… It really should not make a difference to an unmodified console.

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm not sure what the problem is but I transferred from my hacked-to-hell Wii just fine, and mine is also a launch console (though it's on 4.1, not 4.2 nor 4.3).
Can you reset it to factory settings? Well, to make it like new, you'd need a NAND image of the system before you hacked it, which you likely don't have (join the club, it's the penalty of being an early homebrew adopter).
You can install all the official IOS files for the version you're on and go from there. You can also clean the NAND, though I haven't tried that myself so I'm a little skeptical of how effective it really is.

I remembered seeing a guide about this so I looked it up for you.
https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/other-stuff/virgin

I want to stress that this is (potentially) dangerous and you should definitely make a NAND backup first (also, you can restore from a NAND backup after transferring to your Wii U, meaning your Wii looks untouched but your Wii U has the Wii's content, so that your Wii doesn't have to end up being wiped clean).

You might also want to look at this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-quick-guide-to-restoring-a-wii-removing-homebrew.355208/ (feel free to use SysCheck and post the dump in this thread).

But ultimately, if you used the Twilight Hack to install softmods, your best bet might just be updating BootMii instead. It could in fact be that your softmods are so out of date that they're causing issues... but don't quote me on that because I'm really just guessing with this line of thought.

Last edited by TankedThomas,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O