A quick guide to restoring a Wii? (Removing Homebrew)

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Ocarina, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Ocarina
    OP

Ocarina Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 16, 2008
    Hello.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I was unable to find a thread in this site or others exactly relating to my own scenario. I actually have attempted asking this on the WiiBrew forums, but so far haven't recieved much of an answer to be honest.

Basically, I want to restore my Wii to its default factory (un-softmodded) settings. I've been trying to do this for awhile now and I've seemed to be unsuccessful in my different approaches.

My Wii is currently on System Menu 4.3. Using various methods, I've removed a lot of the homebrew that's been present, however, something new all ways comes up. I understand I probably won't be able to remove ALL traces of homebrew on my Wii, that would definitely be ideal, but not feasible.

What I would like to achieve is downgrading my Wii, to 4.2/1 or even 3.x, and then re-updating my Wii officially through Nintendo's servers. So all my channels are up to date and such, officially, and with the least amount of homebrew traceable as possible.
    I understand I could achieve this on my own through the use of homebrew apps, and I kind of have, but I don't 'feel' right about it. That might sound a bit silly to some, but we all have our obsessions, I would like me Wii to be considered as 'normal' again and I feel that perhaps updating it through Nintendo officially is probably the best way to achieve this as they tend to delete a lot of homebrew off your console.

If someone could tell me if that's possible, to downgrade my Wii and re-update officially, that would be fantastic. And if it's not too much to ask, could I get a quick guide of what apps I should run to achieve this? I'm obviously still willing to run homebrew apps to achieve my goal.

If someone has a better solution in mind I'm happy to hear suggestions.
    My main goal is to have as much homebrew taken off my Wii as possible and to have it up-to-date officially on Nintendo's servers with no 'funny business', if you will.

Thank you for reading.
    I appreciate any help.

2. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    There's no need to downgrade.
    Remove your cios installs with anytitle deleter and perform an update.

If you havea vulnerable boot 2, you can use ohneswanzenegger to build a clean Nand backup.
    restore is with Bootmii and uninstall the homebrew channel and boot2 afterwards with the homebrewchannel installer from bootmii.

FYI there's no real need to uninstall anything really, if you softmodded your Wii the proper way, then there had not been messed with the official system ios at all.
    You would have just ´added´ the cios upon the offical system.

If you would to just clean your logs and messageboard, look at my thread here: Clean you Wii messageboard without formatting

I get the feeling you do not have a clear understanding of how your sofmod occured.
    It's not as hard or complex as it looks. If you softmodded your Wii via Modmii only just a few things were altered, wich is the best way to softmod your Wii.
    If you need more help, just give a shout.

3. Ocarina
    OP

Ocarina Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 16, 2008
    Thank you for your reply Hielkenator, I appreciate the suggestions.

Referring to your last part, that's my issue. I didn't just install the homebrew channel, I've done quite a few... (let's say) mischievous things in the past. E.g. installing SoftMii and what not. I've done some things that caused me to sit there for hours reading guides and using command line styled apps to achieve certain goals. I did this years ago and I regret in now, I've done what I can to try to remove this stuff, but I know I haven't.
    I'll give you an example, If I was to reinstall the homebrew channel right now and, let's say, run a backup loader, it'll just work straight away with no extra customization; which shows the system hacks still remain. I would like to properly remove all this (if possible).

And yes, I'll admit I don't know 'everything' about the Wii's internal operating system; hence why I'm asking for help.
    I should say that if I say anything that could be considered a bit silly and cause face-palms, that I apologize.

I actually wouldn't care if I just had the homebrew channel still running, having custom wads running doesn't concern me that much. It's the fact that the internal operating system has changed so drastically, to run backups, skins and what not. This is what I would like aid in reversing (again, if possible).

As you can probably guess from reading the above, I do believe my boot 2 is vulnerable. So that suggestion sounds interesting, would doing that achieve what I've explained above? If so, if you could point me in the right direction to going about that clean nand backup, that would be great.
    Or of course, if you have any other suggestions you think I might like after reading the above, I would love to hear them.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for giving that 'clean message-board' link. I might get some use out of that at some point in the future.

4. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I understand that only your system settings, System Menu and the IOS responsible to run it (IOS58 in your case) would have been affected by customizations, cIOS as 249, 250, 202 have not effect in Wii behavoir because the "normal system" just don't use them, they use free IOS slots.

So when you talk about Wii OS it's the whole official IOS+System Menu+BC+MIOS, and an official update will overwrite everything to normal, except if you specificaly blocked the system to perform updates.

A SysCheck would help us to find out what's inside your Wii, post it before doing anything. Download it from here http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/SysCheck

5. Ocarina
    OP

Ocarina Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 16, 2008
    Thanks for the idea OriginalHamster. I'll post the SysCheck log below.

And by the way, when you mentioned an official update should overwrite everything to normal, that's actually what I would like to run. But since I'm already on hacked 4.3. Nintendo refuses to allow me to update, as I'm already on the newest firmware. That's why I mentioned downgrading in my original post.

Here's the log:

Region: PAL.
    Hollywood v0x11.
    Boot2 v4.
    System Menu v514 (4.3E).
    BC v6.
    MIOS v8.
    Overwrites memory to prevent the Tweezer Attack.)

Found 77 titles.
    Found 32 IOS and 9 IOS Stubs on this console.

IOS 4 (rev 65280): Stub
    IOS 9 (rev 1034)
    IOS 10 (rev 768): Stub
    IOS 11 (rev 256): Stub
    IOS 12 (rev 525): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
    IOS 13 (rev 1031): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
    IOS 14 (rev 1031): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
    IOS 15 (rev 1031): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
    IOS 16 (rev 512): Stub
    IOS 17 (rev 1032)
    IOS 20 (rev 256): Stub
    IOS 21 (rev 1039)
    IOS 22 (rev 1293): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
    IOS 28 (rev 1806): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
    IOS 30 (rev 2816): Stub
    IOS 31 (rev 3607): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
    IOS 33 (rev 3608)
    IOS 34 (rev 3607): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
    IOS 35 (rev 3607): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
    IOS 36 (rev 3607): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
    IOS 37 (rev 5662)
    IOS 38 (rev 4123): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
    IOS 50 (rev 5120): Stub
    IOS 51 (rev 4864): Stub
    IOS 53 (rev 5663)
    IOS 55 (rev 5663)
    IOS 56 (rev 5661): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
    IOS 57 (rev 5918): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
    IOS 58 (rev 6175): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
    IOS 60 (rev 6400): Stub
    IOS 61 (rev 5661)
    IOS 70 (rev 6687)
    IOS 80 (rev 6944)
    IOS202 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
    IOS222 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
    IOS223 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
    IOS224 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
    IOS249 (rev 17): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
    IOS250 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
    IOS254 (rev 65281)
    IOS255 (rev 31337)

6. Hielkenator

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    You can manually update/ overwrite you ios etc with the help of modmii.

In the official ios tab you can download all active ios.
    Install them with wadmanager.
    Clean system menu ios !

Then uninstall delete your 249, 250, 222, 202,223,224, 255 cioswiht any title deleter.
    Then run the homebrew installer to uninstall the homebrew channel and bootmii.

Done.

7. Ocarina
    OP

Ocarina Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 16, 2008
    Alright. Thank you both for your help.

I went through what you suggested. After doing another System Check, nearly all of the IOS' seem to be original. Every ISO except 'IOS 80', which I attempted to fix (after I resolved everything) and I couldn't seem to find a way to do so. However, this doesn't really bother me; as far as I know it's not used for much and every other IOS is original which compared to what I had, this is an achievement enough (in my opinion).

Again, thanks for the aid guys. I hope this thread helps someone else with a similar problem.

8. Hielkenator

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    Telling from you syscheck, your ios 80 is unmodified and original.

9. Rmjd2555

Rmjd2555 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2017
    Canada
    I have the same issue right now but I can't do anything with my wii because the person I bought it from has some sort of homebrew on it and it keeps asking me to do a system update when ever I try to play any games. And it won't update because of the homebrew is there a way to bring it back to normal?