Hacking Can't figure out what this problem is.

Skarekrow73

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I installed the HBC a long time ago, and since then my Wii has been updated, so my system menu is 4.0E as far as I know.
I'm fairly new to the whole homebrew thing, but I set out to install USB Loader GX anyway.
What I first gathered was that I needed a cIOS installed, so I got cios38rev13 installer, and ran it, choosing ios38 (I wasn't sure what to use)
and selecting WAD installation, causing it to find IOS38-64-v3610.wad on the root of my SD card.
I have the latest revision (517 or something like that) of USB Loader GX and when I try to run it from the HBC I get a black screen and the Wiimote turns off.
There is nothing wrong with the Wii itself, it still hard resets and I can get back to the system menu.

Any ideas?
I know I missed something, just don't know what because I'm a bit of a noob at this.

Skarekrow73

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah everything seemed fine, it said successful.
What should I have used, I really don't understand why I have an installer called IOS38, a wad called IOS38, yet it asks what to use, naturally I assumed it'd be IOS38.
Also, why do so many guides tell me to choose network install? Is that for installing a cIOS from your PC or something?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Skarekrow73 said:
Yeah everything seemed fine, it said successful.
What should I have used, I really don't understand why I have an installer called IOS38, a wad called IOS38, yet it asks what to use, naturally I assumed it'd be IOS38.
Also, why do so many guides tell me to choose network install? Is that for installing a cIOS from your PC or something?

The installer modifies IOS38, and installs it as IOS249. That's why you need IOS38 either from wad or from network. And you can select IOS38 during installation because you have IOS38 installed.

Skarekrow73

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So what should I have selected, or does it really not matter?

What would be great is what I should do to revert everything and start over.

I have 4.0E, updated legitimately. Should I have downgraded or something before installing a cIOS?
I have the latest revision of the loader so that isn't a problem (it happened with the other version of the loader I got from somewhere, I didn't even know what version it was but it certainly wasn't the lastest).
Homebrew channel is updated as per a popup I got when I loaded it up today.
As far as I know I have installed cios38rev13b (b as in the latest version) and I chose IOS36 during install the first time, then 38 the second time so right now it's 38, and it's installed as 249 as you noted before and as the installer tells me before it does this.

What's the best course of action?
Also I'm assuming I'm not getting a black screen because my hard drive isn't plugged in, as I know the program should still load and notify me that no drive was found.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You should use rev13a. And sorry don't ask, i don't want to explain it for the 100th time.

Get some other loaders and try with them. NeoGamma for example would be a good test. It tells you if the cIOS was loaded and what revision it has. And NeoGamma should be able to play all discs(backup and retail discs), so you should try that too.

Skarekrow73

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Okay NeoGamma gave me a stack dump that flickered really fast for about 2 seconds and the screen went black.

Can anyone tell me how exactly to get any loader that allows me to rip games to my Hard Drive working from a base 4.0E update and HBC already installed?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz: touchscreen?????