Hardware Cant copy files to my fat32 drive

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when using wii game manager or wii back up manager the transfers will freeze. (im using xo)

i already have all my wii games backed up on my ntfs drive as WBFS's so i should be able to just drag and drop them over but i keep on getting file is too deep error. So i started using "Teracopy" wihcih has not really been getting me by but kinda.

Recently my harddrive cable went dead and i thought it was another issue while following this guide. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174

i did this to my registry without saving a restore point. This may or may not have anything to do with my problem of transfering files to my fat32 drive.

QUOTE said:
# Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
# Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
# In the details pane, right-click the SystemPages value, and then click Modify
Note Default value is 0 (hex)
# In the Value data box, type 7FFF, and then click OK.
Note You could try using the following alternate values:

* 7FFF = 32,000
* PTEs BFFF = 50,000
* PTEs 24FFF = 150,000 PTEs

Currently my setting is "7FFF"
I have no idea if this is part of my problem.

Ive also disable system Cache memory, and on all my drives.
I dont know what to do! anyone?

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm pretty sure that means the file path is too long, for example

ohnoes.png
/games/mario.wbfs would be fine but
ohnoes.png
/game folder with much longer name/other folders inside of that/extra folder for no reason/super mario awesome game best ever.wbfs wont work

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i been there done that, ive made the paths so short and the names so short, i wish that was the problem, thats far from the problem actually. =(

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah no itll lock up when im just transfering files that have been 4g split. and after a while of letting it try it gave me a delayed write fail error.

KiiNG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Delayed write errors are generally caused by anti-virus apps juggling your files around. Try disabling that if you haven't already.

Beyond that, have you tried transferring to another drive to rule out the drive the issue? If it's the drive, the cabling inside the external could be loose.

I'm going to guess and say your source drive is NTFS and your target is FAT32. IIRC, if you're using Windows XP -- there's a system update (would come up via Windows Update) that fixed a problem with NTFS > FAT32 transfers.

FWIW, you don't want to just "drag 'n drop" .wbfs containers from drive to drive. You NEED to use a backup manager to transfer them or your split files (the 4g+ games) will suffer from invalid sector headings.

Hope the info helps.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
KiiNG said:
FWIW, you don't want to just "drag 'n drop" .wbfs containers from drive to drive. You NEED to use a backup manager to transfer them or your split files (the 4g+ games) will suffer from invalid sector headings.
thats total BS FUD
I've juggled .wbfs images around to fit various drives and never had a single problem.
No need to use some crap manager to do it.
Anything that can copy files will do just fine.
Among others I used cp, mv, mc, rsync and Drag'n'Drop in konqueror.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the problem may lie within the fat32 portion of the drive itself, i had all my WBFS files backed up on the same harddrive but the NTFS partition so i was just trying to drag n drop the files from the NTFS to the FAT 32. Ill try updating my windows.. however i tried dragging and dropping the files from a Windows 7 computer and it had the same issue... any ideas? i think i had used to be able to do that just fine..

thanks a lot!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
most converting apps do NOT split up wbfs files into 4 GB chunks when the destination is an NTFS partition. So if u drag and drop a wbfs file that is >4GBs from the NTFS partition to the FAT32 partition, it will fail.

However, if u use wiibackupmanager to transfer games from an NTFS partition to a FAT32 partition, it will automatically split large files into 4GB parts.

If u play with the preferences of certain apps (like wiibackup manager and configurable usb-loader) u can configure them to split wbfs files into 4GB parts on FAT32 partitions AND NTFS partitions.

edit: I just saw in ur first post u tried using wii backup manager and it froze... that's odd. Try deleting your config file and using default settings.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had converted the isos to wbfs ont a fat32 drive, then i backed them up onto the ntfs, deleted my fat32 (re formatted and moved the partition) and i havent had any lucky transfering them back.. but im going to try that deletion of the config settings seeing if thatll do anything... ok that didnt work either, its like the file stops transferring about a fifth of the way thru. i hear my harddrive click and the progress bar stops.

and its only when i try transfering onto the fat32 drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1