Can't boot PS3 properly :(

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by fossda, Apr 8, 2014.

1. fossda
    OP

fossda GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Whenever I turn on my 250GB Slim PS3, it comes up with the error 'the file system is corrupted and must be restored.'. When I start it up in safe mode, whenever I choose an option it just freezes! Please help!

2. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    what fw do you have

3. fossda
    OP

fossda GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    The latest one, I think. I haven't installed cfw or anything like that

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    First of all, note down the state of your PS3's status LED's. You can find a guide on how to decypher them and what to do in given situations here. As it stands it could be a number of things - the HDD might be failing, the PS3 might be overheating or you're experiencing some form of hardware damage. From the symptoms I'd say it's the HDD, but do tell what your status LED's indicate.

5. fossda
    OP

fossda GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    In standby mode, it's solid red. After I turn it on, either normally or in safe mode, it's solid green. The status LEDs are just normal.

6. Ozito

Ozito Not a new member anymore

Mar 20, 2006
    Sweden
    Did you do a firmware update prior to the error screen?

Someone in a another forum had the same problem, he fixed it by doing what this member advised him to do.
    What he said, hope it helps! ;)

7. fossda
    OP

fossda GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    I try to format the hdd, but when I select the option in safe mode, or any option in safe mode, the whole thing just freezes. It started freezing like this after I downloaded the latest PS3 firmware from the Playstation website to a usb stick, and put it in my PS3, before starting it up in safe mode, and selected the option to update from a usb stick. Before I did this, my PS3 didn't freeze when I selected an option, but just took forever to restore the system (I waited for over 24 hours).

8. Ozito

Mar 20, 2006
    Sweden
    Did you try with another HDD?
    When it freezes, does it freeze at the options or does it freeze after entering the chosen option?

9. fossda
    OP

fossda GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    It froze after pressing X to choose an option, still showing the menu, but dw it's fixed now :D

10. Ozito

Mar 20, 2006
    Sweden
    Great! How did you fix it?
    It would be nice to know, for those in the same situation and for future reference.

11. fossda
    OP

fossda GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    I just started it up normally, not in safe mode, and it came up with the initial setup (usually it repeats the file system has been corrupted error in a loop). I reentered the time and date, and reentered my wifi settings, and it went to the XMB menu.