Homebrew Can your 3DS be "too new" to hack?

Rokku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a New 3DS XL that I haven't touched at all in a couple of months and I'm thinking of trying out this homebrew thing...but my question is, is it possible my 3DS is "too new" to hack? I.E. whatever version of system software it has on there is unhackable? I've never actually checked what version it is, or if there are even version restrictions...

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a New 3DS XL that I haven't touched at all in a couple of months and I'm thinking of trying out this homebrew thing...but my question is, is it possible my 3DS is "too new" to hack? I.E. whatever version of system software it has on there is unhackable? I've never actually checked what version it is, or if there are even version restrictions...
No. NTR basically ripped open any and every 3ds and firmware out there. Only way ninty can do anything is making new consoles with revised chips

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Rokku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so how do I...do the thing? I was going to go with Luma since that's apparently really easy to use but their page didn't seem particularly...helpful in terms of the actual installation.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, so how do I...do the thing? I was going to go with Luma since that's apparently really easy to use but their page didn't seem particularly...helpful in terms of the actual installation.

You will need a compatible flash cart. However with many carts you will need either a hacked 3ds or an original ds system (phat/lite, not dsi, not 3ds) to install it. You can also use some of the Action Replay cheat devices if you have a computer with Windows on it (it might also work on other systems in a Windows VM). The R4i Gold 3DS RTS is one of the few that can be set up on your 3DS without needing a hacked/older system or PC.

Rokku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have a Windows 10 PC and a 3DS Action Replay, but I wouldn't know if it's the right one or not.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If he hasn't touched it in a couple of months, as the stated, it's quite probable that he's still below 11.4 and won't even need ntrboot for that, but can do it easily with soundhax. I did it once, worked on the first try.

Reactions: PixelTheKWolf

Rokku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I check the version? I know with the PS Vita it's buried in Settings but I've never checked it on my 3DS.

Rokku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, despite not having been played in a while, my 3DS is apparently on 11.4.0-37U. I guess that means the hacking process is going to be harder?

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, despite not having been played in a while, my 3DS is apparently on 11.4.0-37U. I guess that means the hacking process is going to be harder?
Not really, no. You just need one of the compatible flashcards, such as R4i Gold 3DS. If you want to set it up on your own DS, it needs to be one of the cards that runs under current firmware. That are those which are listed as >11.6 under the corresponding section of 3ds.guide. You can't set up an Acekard 2i cause it was blocked at some point and needs a hacked 3ds to work in the first place.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I literally can't do it without one of those, then? That's a bummer.
Yes, at least that's the only way without having a second 3ds at hand which already runs cfw. Well, the flashcards are not too expensive plus, you can play ds games as well with them after the hack. At least with those which you can revert back to their original state, such as R4i Gold 3DS RTS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: And your own @SylverReZ