Can you update a banned switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by mickthestud, Aug 29, 2018.

1. mickthestud
    OP

mickthestud GBAtemp Fan

Nov 8, 2007
    there’s a few rumors floating around that version 6.0 is in the pipeline question is can you update if switch is banned

2. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    No games even require 6.0.0 yet so there's no need to update

FeitX likes this.
  3. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    You didn't even answer the question

If you're eShop / online ban yes you can
    But if you're cert banned you can't update online at all

There is a tool call chudor or something like that that you can use to update the system by copying the update files to the sdcard. That would be your only option if you're cert banned

4. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 15, 2017
    Unless it comes with firmware features you might be interested in. Like themes, folder support for your apps/games, etc.

5. Aerogems

Aerogems Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2018
    United States
    Once a game comes out with the 6.0 firmware on the cart, you can use that to update. Or when someone uploads a copy to a site like Xbins, you can use choidujournx to install it. So you can still update, you may just have to wait a little longer than those who aren't banned.

6. Muta

Muta Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2018
    United States
    Ericthegreat and opmas like this.
  7. opmas

opmas GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2016
  8. Nicola

Nicola Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2014
    Madagascar
    Yeah but can you get banned if you update through ChoiDujourNX without burning fuses and then go online?

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Can you? Absolutely. Will you? Only Nintendo knows the answer to that one.

10. Kevin Beam

Kevin Beam Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2016
    Canada
    How about updating games? When I check for updates for games I get a notice saying cannot connect to server. Yes my console is banned but I do have internet connection.

11. Aerogems

Aerogems Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2018
    United States
    I would say it is highly unlikely Nintendo is checking fuse counts when you connect to their online service, but I also have absolutely nothing solid to base that on. If you're worried about it, don't do it.

12. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Download the updates in NSP format from your source of choice (Google usually gets the job done for the determined yet smart) then install them using your title installer of choice (e.g. Tinfoil, Rommenu, DevMenu). Its how everyone has been updating their games offline.

13. MSearles

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    Are you confirming that the updates for games are out there? I haven't checked, but I've recently been banned and haven't updated my games in a month or so

14. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    They are indeed out there, I myself updated Mariokart8 Deluxe with its respective update NSPs. Of course remember these files are not supposed to exist so of course tracking can them down is meant to be difficult.

On a side note, since you are banned, would you kindly submit a ban report here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-banning-hub-warning.508710/

15. FeitX

FeitX Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2016
    United States
    Already been elevated to the superbanned state. Can I make it any worse if I update through ChoiDujourNX?

16. Aerogems

Aerogems Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2018
    United States
    Aside from a low possibility of a brick from something going wrong during the update, I don't see how.

17. cjen1987
    This message by cjen1987 has been removed from public view by Joe88, Nov 1, 2018, Reason: Asking for warez.
    Nov 1, 2018