Hacking Can you help? Need to create game channels from wbfs files...

Franco101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm very new to modding the wii, so would be grateful if anyone can help. So far I've modded the wii by installing the Homebrew Channel and USB Loader GX. I have a small collection of games in wbfs format on a USB hard disk which USB Loader is successfully reading. I am running 4.3E on my wii.

What I want to do now is make some game channels on my wii from those wbfs files so that it's easy to access the games. All the guides I've found so far refer to Wad files which I don't have. The guides also seem very old, so I'm worried they may be outdated and lead to some problems.

Is there any way to do this from my wbfs files?

If so, please could you give some instructions or a link to some working information. NB I've only managed to do what I've done so far by following tutorials, I really don't know much about this at all...

Thanks for reading and for any help, however small :-)

Franco

Reactions: joemacc23

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never done this; but looks like what you want is forwarders and this thread is all about them. https://gbatemp.net/threads/crap-easy-to-use-channel-creator.151174/page-49 It's quite old but I don't know if you will find much new stuff on that topic.

Basically the channel they make just loads the usb-loader with a pointer to the game you want to play. Still need the wbfs files on the USB drive after you install the wad. and the wads they make may need the loader to be in a specific place, maybe on a sd card instead of usb.. might depend on channel creator used.

Back in the day and even recently on the wii u vwii, you could easily brick or banner brick by installing the wrong or bad wad files.

I probably wouldn't do this less I had a original wii with boot2 and thoroughly backed up and know how to restore. Or know how to equivalently backup and restore the vwii partition if attempting on a wii u.

But does look convenient and cool once setup :)

Last edited by SonicMC,
Reactions: Todd265

Todd265

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never done this; but looks like what you want is forwarders and this thread is all about them. https://gbatemp.net/threads/crap-easy-to-use-channel-creator.151174/page-49 It's quite old but I don't know if you will find much new stuff on that topic.

Basically the channel they make just loads the usb-loader with a pointer to the game you want to play. Still need the wbfs files on the USB drive after you install the wad. and the wads they make may need the loader to be in a specific place, maybe on a sd card instead of usb.. might depend on channel creator used.

Back in the day and even recently on the wii u vwii, you could easily brick or banner brick by installing the wrong or bad wad files.

I probably wouldn't do this less I had a original wii with boot2 and thoroughly backed up and know how to restore. Or know how to equivalently backup and restore the vwii partition if attempting on a wii u.

But does look convenient and cool once setup :)

Thanks so much for this SonicMC. I hear you about potentially bricking the wii, that's why I've avoided some of the older guides I found. Think I'll look into what you said about back up / restore and try to learn a bit about that before doing anything else.

Thanks so much for your tips on this.

Best

Franco

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind the system menu only allows for 48 titles to be displayed including the disc channel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.