Can you 'hear' loading times?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by jos7960, Feb 22, 2009.

Feb 22, 2009

Can you 'hear' loading times? by jos7960 at 7:34 PM (1,255 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. jos7960
    OP

Member jos7960 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    So almost 2 years after buying my ds lite, I plugged my headphones into my DS.
    Much better sound quality! But there's one drawback; I keep hearing this static-like noise every time my ds has to load something.
    It's kindof annoying hearing it constantly with those random encounters and I was wondering if it's related to the quality of my headphones.

2. paul3100

Member paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Probably!

Why not just try another set of head phones and see if you still get the problem.

paul

3. greenwatch200

Newcomer greenwatch200 Advanced Member

United States
    When I use headphones on my DS I can hear some static whenever a game is loading/saving. It doesn't annoy me that much & I think it's normal [​IMG]

4. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    What do you mean by "when the DS has to load something"?

The DS doesn't use discs so there really should not be any noise at all. I guess it's your headphones.

5. Anhmeister

Newcomer Anhmeister Member

United States
    It's definitely not just you, on the Acekard 2 on AKAIO firmware each time that little MicroSD card access picture lights up I hear that little staticy sound. You can't hear the sound without headphones so It's kind of strange.

Edit: I actually just went and tested and on my Class 6 card the sound is very hard to notice and I can not hear it while in-game. However, on my Class 2 card the sound is noticeable and is prevalent while in-game. Weird.

6. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    When a game is loading, I can hear static in my headphones. But not during gameplay.

7. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    My DS has always made a weird screeching sound. Pretty much constantly. Usually I can ignore it, but sometimes it starts to grate and it becomes unplayable.

8. jos7960
    OP

Member jos7960 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Well, anything. When sakura is booting up, when a game is loaded, when I save and load in a game and when a game loads a new area.

I found out I can't hear the noise on lower quality phones, so it's not really a problem any more but still curious about other peoples opinions about this.

9. Lube_Skyballer

Member Lube_Skyballer GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    I always hear a constant screeching sound when playing with headphones on. It gets a bit louder when. for example, my R4DS starts up. But most of the time you don't even notice it.

10. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    It's not your earphones, it's the DS's crappy sound chip. It's not well shielded from the DS processor, hence why you hear the 'static' sounds when you are putting a slight strain on the processor e.g loading/saving. [​IMG]

11. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    On an entirely unrelated note I recall Skies of Arcadia for the dreamcast, before every "random" battle the disc would spin up and load things. Surprisingly it was far less annoying than the world going wavy approach most games take*.

*pours beer for the likes of Grandia and Magi Nation.

Back on topic and rather than a snarky comment about 21 century synaesthesia I will add my name to the pile, it is usually infrequent enough for me to ignore it.