Gaming Can you hack the Wii Mini?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I don´t own a Wii mini :D
I´ve lost all interest on this little piece of "throw-out" before it interests me at all.:wacko:

But if you want to ask someone about this,look for some awesome and great guy out there in the "world" named emu_kidid.:)

Reactions: Technocxt1394

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
things that can be transfered via the Wiimote (maybe corruped Mii's).
Wait, what if we used Club Penguin: Game Day! as a exploit? I mean, you can transfer your penguin to a WiiMote, so there's that. Rabbids go home is also on the table, so a malformed penguin or rabbit could work. (I'd call it PenguinHax/RabbidHax, probably.)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, we're not sure. As long we can't extract Mii data and send it back onto a Wiimote, a Mii Channel exploit is very unlikely. Still worth a try.
It is possible - in fact the first Mii edits (golden pants) were done on a PC using the Wiimote memory
Of course the next question is if the Mii Channel has vulnerabilities and if yes if they are exploitable via that feature...

Could you go into the settings of a Wii game like Mario Kart Wii and try to set up Nintendo WFC which would force you to set up an access point?
Do they actually forward you to the appropriate page of settings (I know they can for a couple of items, like save management)? Even then, since the implementation is up to the Wii Menu...
(though admittedly they didn't really remove the settings on Vwii)

leseratte

Wiimmfi Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Even if you got the menu to set up a Wifi connection, the IOS on the Wii Mini don't have that capability. The IOS has been stripped of all network functionality, and that won't change if you somehow convince the menu to try to connect.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Hypothetically, could we hack a Wiimote (official or third party) or create a custom Bluetooth device that injects enough code to load a vulnerability from USB, or dump the encryption key so we can make a custom USB OS upgrade tool?

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Somebody has a Wii-Mini's main board hi-res pictures, or a link to them?

I'm interested on researching for learning purposes.

Thanks in advance.

8bit_coder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been reading on this forum for a while now and finally decided to make an account. One theory that comes to mind is Dolphin. Dolphin has been demonstrated to be able to read/write from the Wiimote memory when connected to a PC. The Wiimote has 6 kilobytes of memory reserved for Miis. If we boot up the Mii Channel, we can import a first 6kb of data from a PC that makes the wii transport any future mii data to a buffer. Then, we can slowly transfer 6kb at a time, disconnecting the wiimote, connecting it to a pc, writing 6kb, and back. It's a very time consuming process but could be done. Once all of the mii data is in the Wii's buffer we hijacked earlier, then we could use a final 6kb to run the code in the buffer. then we can dump the nand or just the keys onto a usb drive plugged in. From there, it's free roaming. That's just one of my theories that comes to mind.

Last edited by 8bit_coder,

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been reading on this forum for a while now and finally decided to make an account. One theory that comes to mind is Dolphin. Dolphin has been demonstrated to be able to read/write from the Wiimote memory when connected to a PC. The Wiimote has 6 kilobytes of memory reserved for Miis. If we boot up the Mii Channel, we can import a first 6kb of data from a PC that makes the wii transport any future mii data to a buffer. Then, we can slowly transfer 6kb at a time, disconnecting the wiimote, connecting it to a pc, writing 6kb, and back. It's a very time consuming process but could be done. Once all of the mii data is in the Wii's buffer we hijacked earlier, then we could use a final 6kb to run the code in the buffer. then we can dump the nand or just the keys onto a usb drive plugged in. From there, it's free roaming. That's just one of my theories that comes to mind.
You'd still need one operation that triggers a buffer overload and can read the segmented code in the mii bank, with that all fitting into 6kb.

We might as well figure out how to hack the Wiimote (or make a virtual wiimote) so it can stream the entire exploit to the Wii Mini, or make it load from USB.

Easiest solution would to see if we can make the Wii mini load from USB directly, but that's a no go it seems.

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
Iirc you can't transfer Miis to and from the Wiimote on the mini. On the Nintendo support forums, it says the guide for transferring Miis applies to the Wii and Wii mini, but has a small section saying the mini isn't compatible.

Gabrycraft20

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi everyone I was looking for a solution to hack the mini wii and after reading the various proposals I decided to register

So I know it’s stupid, but a wii game on your computer doesn’t have a nintendo key?

It’s really a shame I threw it there wii mini

I thought modifying the mini wii was as easy as a slim ps2, but it’s not

Iirc you can't transfer Miis to and from the Wiimote on the mini. On the Nintendo support forums, it says the guide for transferring Miis applies to the Wii and Wii mini, but has a small section saying the mini isn't compatible.

Can't you give me a little bit more to go on?

Last edited by x65943, , Reason: Cleaning up post and removing Italian

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s really a shame I threw it there wii mini

I thought modifying the mini wii was as easy as a slim ps2, but it’s not
"Slim PS2" is basically a redesign of the original PS2, keeping all the same hardware. Wii Mini is a simplified version of the Wii, removing internet access and other enhancements to focus mainly on game discs. This doesn't mean it's a bad console, or that it can never be hacked.

Don't feel too bad about it. We're glad you brought it up. We, as a hacking community, are still working on it. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse