Hacking Can you flash a .gbc file to NOR in a 3-in-1?

Wallydraigle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a 3-in-1 with the form factor that fits in the GBA, can you flash a Game Boy Color game to NOR, and play it in your GBA like a real cartridge?

Wallydraigle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, GB and GBC carts are built differently, but the GBA will still play them, so I thought it might work.

But I just got hold of a 3-in1 and tried it, and the GBC game doesn't show up in the NOR menu as a choice to flash. So it won't work. Thanks.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
It won't work. GB/GBC carts work at a different voltage and there is a hardware switch in the GBA's slot which sees the different carts (due to a handy little notch cut into the GBA carts) and switches the voltage and hardware used.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Correct me if I'm wrong here but the only reason to do this would be to access the Advance Shop in the Zelda 'Oracles' games right? To my knowledge they were the only gameboy colour games that gained anything from being played in a GBA.

I have a question along similar lines though. If I flash say, Sonic Advance to a EZ Flash 3-1 (assuming I ever get mine fixed, it's all kinds of broken..) and play Project Rub, will Project Rub detect Sonic Advance in Slot-2 and unlock the special Sonic hat? It's hardly a high priority matter, I'm just curious.

Wallydraigle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
It won't work. GB/GBC carts work at a different voltage and there is a hardware switch in the GBA's slot which sees the different carts (due to a handy little notch cut into the GBA carts) and switches the voltage and hardware used.

And that pretty much kills any chance of this ever happening. Thanks.

sfg said:
Plus, the DS doesn't have the hardware necessary for GB and GBC.

That doesn't have anything to do with what I asked.

QUOTE(Blaze163 @ Jan 1 2010, 03:21 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong here but the only reason to do this would be to access the Advance Shop in the Zelda 'Oracles' games right? To my knowledge they were the only gameboy colour games that gained anything from being played in a GBA.

I have a question along similar lines though. If I flash say, Sonic Advance to a EZ Flash 3-1 (assuming I ever get mine fixed, it's all kinds of broken..) and play Project Rub, will Project Rub detect Sonic Advance in Slot-2 and unlock the special Sonic hat? It's hardly a high priority matter, I'm just curious.

I don't have a Game Boy Color, so I wanted to play Pokemon Crystal on my GBASP and still be able to trade with other games. You have to use the GBC cable, but it still works on the GBA. I don't know about Sonic, but for the DS pokemon games there's some kind of patch you can use to make it see the game in slot 2 or something.

sfg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
That doesn't have anything to do with what I asked.

Oh, yeah... I thought you wanted to play it on DS. Sorry.

Anyway I've got one of these: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card which would do exactly what you want. You can't flash many games on it at the same time (small capacity), but otherwise works very well... and there really isn't anything better available that would do what you want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-