Hacking Can you finally coldboot CFW?

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can you tell if NANDs are unlinked? Because my emunand has its own friend code, and sysnand has a different one, and that I'd have to install CIAs in both emunand and sysnand. That makes them unlinked right?

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If going by HomeMenuHax only, it takes me to black screens. If using CTRbootmanager, I can't autoboot to it, but I can select it when the timeout isn't 0.

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
i have a linked emunand, and coldboot works.
(wait.. im not sure if i'm linked, but i only have 1 id<0> folder

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ye, completed the upgrade but can't get browserhax to work, I see the yellow screen then grey then no response.

Downgrading back to 4.5 for now.
if you have youtubehax or ironhax or cn, you can use those to boot homebrew and launch the themehax installer.

ShetiPhian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow that was a pain, but its finally done.

Started with my system (O3DS XL with 9.2.0-20U) running, unlinked, 9.5.0-23 via rxTools v2.2.1 on a 4GB card.
Now its auto booting rxTools or HomebrewMenu via CtrBootManager on a 16GB card I had.

The first few steps where easy.
- use gateway launcher to create an enuNAND on the 16GB card
- use emuNAND Tools to backup from 4GB cards and inject into the 16GB card
- copy everything from 4GB to 16GB card
- test emuNAND to make sure it still works
- delete rxTools v2.2.1 files
- add rxTools nightly 09-28-15
- boot emuNAND and preform system update
- use rxTools advanced settings to inject fbi into h&s app (few simple steps involved)
- run h&s app to install fbi.cia
- placed 3ds folder and boot.3dsx, from the homebrew starter.zip, on root of sd card

Now it all went downhill, and wasted just over an hour :angry:
The sysNAND doesn't have YouTube, or IronFall. I don't own CubicNiniga or SmashBrothers.
So browserhax was my goto, but browserhax hates me.
No matter how many time I cleared my browser, reset my theme to default, rebooted, or repeated the steps, browserhax always failed.
The bottom screen turned yellow, then grey, then either the system froze or the browser crashed.
I wasn't sure what to do, but thankfully I found a post by Dean_ linking to a .cia version of the themehax installer.

I put the files on the card and proceeded to make a few mistakes (First I installed the .cia into emuNAND, aftwards I correctly injected fbi into the sysNAND h&s app, but tried to run it after rebooting the 3ds. Once I ran it from rxMode sysnand all worked well.)
Achievement Get: ThemeHax installed and working.

Last few steps where simple.
- rename the homebrew boot.3dsx to boot_hb.3dsx
- place boot.cfg and boot.3dsx from CtrBootManager on my card
- edit boot.cfg; CakeCFW launch option removed, and timeout set to 5
- launch into CtrBootManager choose Homebrew Menu
- install autobooting themehax (I used the one from this post )

:yaynds:

Few questions: [Thank you videogame57 for the answers]
1) Why do the guides instruct you to install fbi.cia? Couldn't you just continue using the modified h&s app?
[Modified H&S is an old FBI version, it has some issues (and by some I mean a lot).]

2) Any harm in removing the excess payloads from the themehax_installer\themepayload folder?
Removing all the EUR and JPN files saves 49.8MB, and my system is an old version so removing the payloads for the new one also, would save a total of 62.9MB on my card.
[Once themehax is installed, you don't need the themehax_install folder at all.]

Last edited by ShetiPhian,
Reactions: Quantumcat

RikuKawai

Femboy Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
thisis.moe
XP
Country
Canada
Wow that was a pain, but its finally done.

Started with my system (O3DS XL with 9.2.0-20U) running, unlinked, 9.5.0-23 via rxTools v2.2.1 on a 4GB card.
Now its auto booting rxTools or HomebrewMenu via CtrBootManager on a 16GB card I had.

The first few steps where easy.
- use gateway launcher to create an enuNAND on the 16GB card
- use emuNAND Tools to backup from 4GB cards and inject into the 16GB card
- copy everything from 4GB to 16GB card
- test emuNAND to make sure it still works
- delete rxTools v2.2.1 files
- add rxTools nightly 09-28-15
- boot emuNAND and preform system update
- use rxTools advanced settings to inject fbi into h&s app (few simple steps involved)
- run h&s app to install fbi.cia
- placed 3ds folder and boot.3dsx, from the homebrew starter.zip, on root of sd card

Now it all went downhill, and wasted just over an hour :angry:
The sysNAND doesn't have YouTube, or IronFall. I don't own CubicNiniga or SmashBrothers.
So browserhax was my goto, but browserhax hates me.
No matter how many time I cleared my browser, reset my theme to default, rebooted, or repeated the steps, browserhax always failed.
The bottom screen turned yellow, then grey, then either the system froze or the browser crashed.
I wasn't sure what to do, but thankfully I found a post by Dean_ linking to a .cia version of the themehax installer.

I put the files on the card and proceeded to make a few mistakes (First I installed the .cia into emuNAND, aftwards I correctly injected fbi into the sysNAND h&s app, but tried to run it after rebooting the 3ds. Once I ran it from rxMode sysnand all worked well.)
Achievement Get: ThemeHax installed and working.

Last few steps where simple.
- rename the homebrew boot.3dsx to boot_hb.3dsx
- place boot.cfg and boot.3dsx from CtrBootManager on my card
- edit boot.cfg; CakeCFW launch option removed, and timeout set to 5
- launch into CtrBootManager choose Homebrew Menu
- install autobooting themehax (I used the one from this post )

:yaynds:

Few questions:
1) Why do the guides instruct you to install fbi.cia? Couldn't you just continue using the modified h&s app?
2) Any harm in removing the excess payloads from the themehax_installer\themepayload folder?
Removing all the EUR and JPN files saves 49.8MB, and my system is an old version so removing the payloads for the new one also, would save a total of 62.9MB on my card.
Modified H&S is an old FBI version, it has some issues (and by some I mean a lot).
Once themehax is installed, you don't need the themehax_install folder at all.

Reactions: ShetiPhian

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
thanks for noting re: themehax cia installer

that will save people lots of time to get this setup right.

getting browserhax to work was also a pain to me, (i was not able to make it boot/so i used my copy of CN)
@using o3ds

_eyCaRambA_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The unwrap bug is easily resolved. I dont have anything unwrapped anymore.

So the unlink of emunand is only required for the autoboot version, but works fine with the regular version?

Thanks!
Just curious, how did you solve the wrapped gift issue?
I also want my NANDs linked for various reasons but if you could let me know how to get rid of the gift icons without unlinking, that would be awesome.

On topic, I hope GW offers this feature in their next update. I'm pretty sure they will, it's huge added convenience.

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I also want my NANDs linked for various reasons but if you could let me know how to get rid of the gift icons without unlinking, that would be awesome.

On topic, I hope GW offers this feature in their next update. I'm pretty sure they will, it's huge added convenience.

Install your games on both nands. (You will have a cia already installed the second time, but it's normal)

Reactions: _eyCaRambA_

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country

I got rid of the gift issue by using the latest nightlies and themehax.

Reactions: Margen67

3DxMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can I unlink my EmuNAND?
(And.. Will I lose my SysNAND Content Like Youtube?)
Take out your sd card and then format your system and yes you will lose YouTube Then put back in your sd card and your nands will be unlinked done

Last edited by 3DxMan,

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar

Install your games on both nands. (You will have a cia already installed the second time, but it's normal)
Yeah, this exactly. After installing anything in emunand, install it in sysnand as well. Once you unwrap them in both nands they will never we wrapped again

Reactions: _eyCaRambA_

3DxMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The systemdater cia worked for me on a 2ds 6.0.0-12 with the 9.2.0-20 cia files found on that ISO site but it landed me on 9.0.0-20 I don't know why..but this works with pasta CFW do not use gateway or you will brick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Were actually bots