Hacking Question Can Xecuter SX be installed internally as a mod chip?

evans112682

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming there are no detailed picture of the Xecuter dongle PCB but if there are contacts to solder to, than maybe it is possible to install it like a mod chip to usb contacts on the switch. Remove the caps and power it from the internal battery? Just a thought. With auto RCM this would be the best set up.

Last edited by evans112682,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm assuming there are no detailed picture of the Xecuter dongle PCB but if there are contacts to solder to, than maybe it is possible to install it like a mod chip to usb contacts on the switch. Remove the caps and power it from the internal battery? Just a thought. With auto RCM this would be the best set up.
Not yet but they said this is a requested feature that they're looking into.
Another team (Cobra?) announced an internal mod though, I'm just a bit worried that it will disable the USB port so you can't use the dock.

Reactions: evans112682
D

Deleted-442439

In theory even the dongle could be RE'd to be soldered on the D+ / D- testpads to work as a modchip, but as @The Real Jdbye pointed out, I am also worried that it would conflict with the dock and USB functionality in general.

Reactions: evans112682

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Good point @jjbredesen. So you would likely need to install an external switch to kill power to the dongle after boot.
That would work, or a reed switch would be better so you don't have to modify the case. Maybe even have it provide power on boot, and have their payload send a command that disables power to the chip until the system is power cycled or after a certain timeout in case the user booted into normal FW. So it would be automatic and not require any interaction from the user (assuming AutoRCM is installed)

evans112682

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would work, or a reed switch would be better so you don't have to modify the case. Maybe even have it provide power on boot, and have their payload send a command that disables power to the chip until the system is power cycled or after a certain timeout in case the user booted into normal FW. So it would be automatic and not require any interaction from the user (assuming AutoRCM is installed)

We won't know until we receive the dongles but I guess it's possible that it may have a time out baked in. It instantly sends the payload when connected to the USB port but is powered off the capacitors, and TX says they have managed to get so many boots without a charge. So maybe they already have a timeout feature to conserve power.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.