Hacking Can we use USB port on docking station for hacking?

bobovieri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Hello everybody,
I have a brand new switch with 3.0 firmware. I wanna hack it, starting with the backup of my nand.
So I'm gonna use Hekate. I'm following a tutorial, all seems very easy, but I need to connect the switch to the PC.

I don't have a USB C cable.

I know the switch docking station has a USB C plug for the switch, and 3 USB A ports.
Can I connect the switch to the PC through a USB A docking port to run hekate and inject payloads?

I think the answer is gonna be no, but why?

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've also been wondering the same thing. There's a thread on here about installing a mod chip in the dock. Using a pc to send a payload is sending the payload over the usb d+ & d-. The question is, will the dock pass the d+ & d- signal to the switch, or does the dock send a signal to the switch first, then the switch send a signal back to the dock to enable the usb ports & hdmi output. A handshake. Obviously the dock sends some type of signal which tells the switch that it is docked, which enables the higher clock speeds and what not.

Last edited by Techjunky90,

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because RCM is triggered with the joycon rail pins and a button combo that is disabled in docked mode. Having a usb-c cable and/or dongle is just how it is currently done.

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to be able to put it into rcm first, lol.
OP asked if he could do it without a USB-C cable, which you currently cannot.
That is wholly right.
Wrong again, putting a switch in rcm mode has absolutely nothing to do with having a usb c cable.

Sonikkua

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure. I’m powering my Raspberry Pi using the Switch docks USB port, and I use that to auto inject payloads when I plug my Switch into the Pi.

That counts right?

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure. I’m powering my Raspberry Pi using the Switch docks USB port, and I use that to auto inject payloads when I plug my Switch into the Pi.

That counts right?
Does not count. Op wants to send the payload through the docks usb. Basically, power your pi from the dock, then connect the pi usb to the dock usb and send the payload that way.

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait till years down the line and all switch systems are hackable or close to it and it'll be so easy. Always happens just watch. What we have now is never what we end up with in hacks.

teelo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Can't wait till years down the line and all switch systems are hackable or close to it and it'll be so easy. Always happens just watch. What we have now is never what we end up with in hacks.
We need a "predict the future" thread. Eg: I predict someone will figure out a glitch that will get RCM to pull a payload off the SD card.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
No, that won't work because the USB-A ports on the docking station not directly connected to the Tegra cpu.
The dock contains a seperate cpu that acts as a usb hub as far as I know.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

But your idea does bring something more interesting to mind :
Instead of putting a modchip/trinket inside the Switch itself,
can't we put it into the docking station with a nice switch to turn it on/off?
Much more space in there....

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just sayin. Can't predict the future..But more exploits are out their and more will be found. I been at it A long time with modding and it never ends with the same exploits that it starts with. I can't think of one system that the first hack was the best/last. Usually the worst. But this is A big exploit so don't mess up your hackable switches. Gonna be hard to get another one day. Unless what I say is true.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Flame @ Flame: Never fight uphill, me boys.