Can this game exist?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Sora de Eclaune, Mar 16, 2012.

Mar 16, 2012
  1. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    A friend has found a story about a lost N64-compatible beta of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and is wondering if such a thing could ever exist. The premise is pretty out there and it explains things that probably aren't possible for an N64 game or even a hack of one. However, could a game like this exist in any form?

The Full Story
    TLDR Version of the Story

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    That sounds like an inconsistent mess.

4 people like this.
  3. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    It's Minecraft

1 person likes this.
  4. redfalcon

Member redfalcon GBATemp Member

Germany
    From a purely technical point of view I can't see why it couldn't exist. Putting premade objects randomly together doesn't require that much power, but putting them together in a way that the game is enjoyable would.
    As prowler said, it sounds very inconsistent, but it would be quite a feat to make an enjoyable experience out of that. Although most of that sounds like a huge step backwards. Only three items? No NPCs? Random saves? Even the first LoZ wasn't that limited.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah it sounds doable from a technical perspective, but the story is bullshit, there was no copy remotely like that.

6. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    It sounds inconsistent to me, as well, but it does make a good backstory for this beta image.

That's what I thought, as well, but as villages and dungeons randomly pop from the place you found them before and pop into new places, it's quite different.

There are only three items because, other than a lack of an inventory screen to choose items from, I would assume that the dungeon the player starts in is the only place to get items. As the story makes no mention of getting items elsewhere or returning to the first dungeon, it could be that once you leave the dungeon, you have no chance of ever getting items ever again...so if you only found one or two items, you're stuck with an empty item slot.

No NPCs was only assumed, as there was no part of the story that ever mentioned NPCs at all (unless monsters count as NPCs?).

Random saves was also only assumed. The story said that the player quit playing in one spot, but when they turned the game back on and went past the title screen, the game skipped directly to the spot they were at when they quit the game. It can only be assumed from that information that the game autosaved at some point before the game was shut off.

That's what I thought. With the story being a creepypasta they found on /x/ this morning and sent to me in a txt file, there was no doubt it was most likely a fake.

7. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    Creepypasta, most likely.

8. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    2 people like this.
  9. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    I thought creepypasta the moment I started reading

10. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    This sounds almost exactly like Ben's MM.

1 person likes this.
  11. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    I already know it's creepypasta. I mean, my friend found it on /x/, for cryin' out loud! I was simply wondering if such a game could exist if one were to make it in real life.

No it doesn't. This is about a game with an endless, randomly generated desert. BEN Drowned is about a kid haunting a Zelda game.

12. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    I mean the story, not the game. The game doesn't exist.