Homebrew Can the wifi multiplayer in the Super Mario Bros 3 VC be ported to injects?

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've not seen any injects that I've downloaded of NES games have this feature aside from Super Mario 3. Is there a way to inject multiplayer games into Mario 3 and retain that wifi download play for multiplayer? I'd really love to play games like Contra and Super Tecmo Super Bowl wirelessly with my buddy.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've not seen any injects that I've downloaded of NES games have this feature aside from Super Mario 3. Is there a way to inject multiplayer games into Mario 3 and retain that wifi download play for multiplayer? I'd really love to play games like Contra and Super Tecmo Super Bowl wirelessly with my buddy.
I've tried it, unfortunately it just gave an error code. I simply injected the Ice Climbers VC with Contra (Ice Climbers because it had Wireless.)

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's frustrating, it probably has to be re-coded for every game individually, just like the gameboy VC wireless linking. Though @TheStoneBanana was able to figure out how to get that working in other Pokemon injects, so I bet if someone that knew what they were doing took a look at the wireless multiplayer NES games, they'd be able to get injects working with wireless multiplayer as well.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's frustrating, it probably has to be re-coded for every game individually, just like the gameboy VC wireless linking. Though @TheStoneBanana was able to figure out how to get that working in other Pokemon injects, so I bet if someone that knew what they were doing took a look at the wireless multiplayer NES games, they'd be able to get injects working with wireless multiplayer as well.
Maybe, even though they used a different system than download play. They (instead) emulated a link cable, which works on all GB and GBC games (theoretically speaking.) Download play downloads the full game to a different system, and then allows the other system to act as player 2. So it would be a completely different process...

ThomasRobertWade

Trophies
XP
About a year ago I tried doing this with HANS and SMB 3, but what I found was that when sending the game through Download Play, I would have the rom I had inserted with HANS on my system, but the other system would have SMB 3.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About a year ago I tried doing this with HANS and SMB 3, but what I found was that when sending the game through Download Play, I would have the rom I had inserted with HANS on my system, but the other system would have SMB 3.
That's the issue. You either have this issue (when you load externally,) or you get an error code (when you load as an injected VC.) I have a feeling this won't happen any time soon. If you want multiplayer NES emulation, try NESDS. It's a NES emulator (for the DS) that offers multiplayer over a local server. It's also one of the most solid NES emulators I've ever seen...

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I imagine it can be, just not easily, I mean Pokemon trading has been made to work with Silver/Gold and Rom Hacks and I recall seeing a video that had SplatooD? a NES Demake wokring Multiplayer.

Didn't see this before edit... the reason HANS might not send over the correct game is they normally build a CIA within the ROMFS that holds the game so if you didn't also replace that version it would still send SMB3.

Last edited by DarkSynopsis,

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I was tagged in here and I've seen a few people mention the Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal patches, allow me to explain something.
How those work are completely different from this. They aren't even similar at all.

Sure, yeah, if I or someone else sat down to look at how this NES multiplayer works, it could be figured out. It seems a lot more straightforward than how the Pokemon patches work, to be honest. However, I have little interest in this.

Alpuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Its not related with nes, but i think that genesis injected games can be played with local play.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
pretty sure the issue is with the current rebuild methods, they strip out the DLP container which is used for download play, i just quickly edited a clean DLP compatible game and edited in a different game and it does seen there is a second copy of the rom(presumably in the DLP romfs) that is used instead of the main rom, but a quick search didnt show any more copies of the original game......i will have another look if i can decrypt and extract the DLP romfs and see whats contained in there

EDIT: oh how fun its another cia file......ciainception

Last edited by gamesquest1,

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I was tagged in here and I've seen a few people mention the Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal patches, allow me to explain something.
How those work are completely different from this. They aren't even similar at all.

Sure, yeah, if I or someone else sat down to look at how this NES multiplayer works, it could be figured out. It seems a lot more straightforward than how the Pokemon patches work, to be honest. However, I have little interest in this.
My idea is to just run NESDS through TWLoader, and use the Nifi feature. Problem solved...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro