Can someone guide me?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by MarioBrotha, Jan 20, 2011.

Jan 20, 2011

Can someone guide me? by MarioBrotha at 10:06 PM (1,852 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. MarioBrotha
    OP

Member MarioBrotha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just downloaded the Kmeaw CFW, I'm on a OFW 3.55 Slim. Can someone guide me, like saying where to put the .PUP, and how to install homebrew .self files?

2. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Put the PUP file (should be named to PS3UPDAT.PUP) inside X:/PS3/UPDATE/, where X: is the USB stick/device letter and plug it into the PS3, then update via the 'Update from removable storage media' option from the XMB (may not be that exact phrasing).

As for .self's they are the PS3's .exe as to say but cannot be installed in that form, you usually need to package them into .pkg files using psn_package_npdrm but alas I do not know if that is even possible, most likely what ever you are looking for has a compiled .pkg which you can install directly with the 'Install Package Files' option which will appear on your XMB under the Game category after you have Jailbroken.

3. MarioBrotha
    OP

United States
    Ok, thanks, I suppose that I'm ok with my 3.55 OFW? I'm pretty nervous and I don;t want to mess anything up.

4. Sotoro

Member Sotoro GBAtemp Fan

Germany

3.55 OFW is right to start with. Next step:

1. Install the custom firmware and
    2. Install a new version of multiman or gaia bootmanager, they have already the lvl. 2 patch inside

5. MarioBrotha
    OP

United States
    Ok, I installed the CFW, now I want to install MultiMan. I searched on google and the latest version appears to be 1.13, but there are many files to download, should I download the BASE or the FULL version?

Is it okay to say where I'm getting this stuff from?

edit: Just downloaded multiMAN ver 1.13.00 FULL, there are a lot of files in the .rar Where should I put them?

6. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    The latest multiman is unsigned so someone could even upload it to filetrip. It is unclear for now if signed stuff is copywrited so we are not allowed for now...

7. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Well, the full version I assume? As long as the site doesn't contain any illegal material it is fine to link to it,

Ah, the base version just contains the .pkg file and the program itself whereas the FULL/MEGA version contains, and I quote, "(190MB - 913 COVERS, 30 THEMES, LASTGAME, PS3SERV, EBOOTFIX)" I say go with the full .pkg, just to be sure.

8. MarioBrotha
    OP

United States
    Where should I put all of these files?

9. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    All the files? Well the .pkg goes on the root of a usb stick/drive, and as for the other files, I have no idea, presumably themes etc, does it not say in the readme?

10. MarioBrotha
    OP

United States
    Wow, that was a lot easier than I expected, thanks! What is the name of the SNES emulator for the PS3?

11. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    FCEU for NES, SNES9x supports both.

12. MarioBrotha
    OP

United States
    Thanks for everything!
    I read that there is some problems with some games that are over 4GB, would I have any of those problems if I copied them over to the internal Hard drive? And I'm getting a lot of freezes in mutiMAN, is that ok?

13. Sotoro

Germany
    Not problems, but you can't copy a game, that has a file that is larger then 4GB to a FAT32 device. So you have to transfer games like this to the internal ps3 drive via FTP. Hopefully there will be NTFS compability in the future.
    For multiman try to press R1 in the menu, this starts a "permission fix", that should fix some problems. And don't forget all of the backup managers are in an early stage, if you want to play backups without any problem, you should wait some weeks/months for a more stable release.

Edit: there is also a multiMan ebootfix application for windows that could helpt to fix your problems. Try it out.

14. MarioBrotha
    OP

United States
    Oh, so as of now I can't play from any games that are over 4GB from an external drive?

15. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    You can do that but if there is an individual file within the game you cant play it

16. MarioBrotha
    OP

United States
    What do you mean by an individual file within the game?

17. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    E.g. a single movie file that's bigger than 4GB. Like in MGS4, which is practically one long movie.

18. Sotoro

Germany
    Ps3 releases are not a single image file. Its a folder full with files, if one of this files is larger then 4gb you cant copy it on a Fat32 device.

19. MarioBrotha
    OP

United States
    Oh thanks, I get it now

20. Cmurda187

Member Cmurda187 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    [/quote]

Not problems, but you can't copy a game, that has a file that is larger then 4GB to a FAT32 device. So you have to transfer games like this to the internal ps3 drive via FTP. Hopefully there will be NTFS compability in the future.
    For multiman try to press R1 in the menu, this starts a "permission fix", that should fix some problems. And don't forget all of the backup managers are in an early stage, if you want to play backups without any problem, you should wait some weeks/months for a more stable release.

Edit: there is also a multiMan ebootfix application for windows that could helpt to fix your problems. Try it out.
    [/quote]
    Yes you can copy a game that has a file larger than 4gb. You can use either PS3Splitter or most backup mangers have the capability to do thisas well. Either way will work. Though if you have "dumped your oringinal BD" to your pc the PS3splitter is the way to go just google it.