Hacking Can someone explain how this gentlemen upgrade his sysnand instead of emunand?

Dakaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Can someone explain how this gentlemen upgraded his sysnand instead of emunand?

Story here:
http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_fo...p-but-still-manage-to-update-to-VER-6-3-0-12E

This other guy said it is something to do with him using a new SD card, which I don't understand.

I think that's the problem. You're supposed to keep the original SD that you backed up the NAND to in your 3ds while you do the update.

That backed up NAND is what becomes that emulated 6.3.x version. As stated in the manual, if the backed up NAND is not there, it will use the board's NAND.

keep the original SD that you backed up the NAND to in your 3ds while you do the update???

Is he saying you have to use the same SD card that backed up my NAND when updating your emunand?

Or is he saying you have to have your sysnand back up on your sd card when updating your emunand?

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can someone explain how this gentlemen upgraded his sysnand instead of emunand?

Story here:
http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_fo...p-but-still-manage-to-update-to-VER-6-3-0-12E

This other guy said it is something to do with him using a new SD card, which I don't understand.

keep the original SD that you backed up the NAND to in your 3ds while you do the update???

Is he saying you have to use the same SD card that backed up my NAND when updating your emunand?

Or is he saying you have to have your sysnand back up on your sd card when updating your emunand?

Well, I've updated emuNAND (on 2.0b1 and b2) across different 3DSes with and without having a NAND.bin on the SD multiple times and never managed to update the system. So he/she/it/squirrel either hit a stray unfortunate bug or PEBCAK.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
no one understands me?
You don't 'backup nand' (where the nand becomes a file), you 'format emunand' so the nand lies in a hidden partition on the sd card. Big difference.

His system updated real nand because GW's fimware ignored the NAND.BIN file and didn't find a hidden nand partition on the sd card.

Now, it may be possible to dump the image of a emunand sd card and re-image it to another card but i've never tried it and wouldn't recommend it anyway. Always follow directions exactly when doing dangerous operations like these.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Slappity slap slap