Can someone explain how this gentlemen upgrade his sysnand instead of emunand?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dakaa, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Dakaa
    OP

Dakaa Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2013
    New Zealand
    Can someone explain how this gentlemen upgraded his sysnand instead of emunand?

Story here:
    http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_fo...p-but-still-manage-to-update-to-VER-6-3-0-12E

This other guy said it is something to do with him using a new SD card, which I don't understand.

keep the original SD that you backed up the NAND to in your 3ds while you do the update???

Is he saying you have to use the same SD card that backed up my NAND when updating your emunand?

Or is he saying you have to have your sysnand back up on your sd card when updating your emunand?

2. Dakaa
    OP

Dakaa Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2013
    New Zealand
    no one understands me?

3. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    Well, I've updated emuNAND (on 2.0b1 and b2) across different 3DSes with and without having a NAND.bin on the SD multiple times and never managed to update the system. So he/she/it/squirrel either hit a stray unfortunate bug or PEBCAK.

4. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    You don't 'backup nand' (where the nand becomes a file), you 'format emunand' so the nand lies in a hidden partition on the sd card. Big difference.

His system updated real nand because GW's fimware ignored the NAND.BIN file and didn't find a hidden nand partition on the sd card.

Now, it may be possible to dump the image of a emunand sd card and re-image it to another card but i've never tried it and wouldn't recommend it anyway. Always follow directions exactly when doing dangerous operations like these.