Hacking Can someone add autobooting into cfw?

Do you think its possible?

• Total voters

shakkar23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Custom firmware is good and all, but having to go to the computer, android phone (suprisingly), or to plug in something that you have to pay for is much, seeing that the 3ds could do it. I dont know the limitations of the switch so it wouldnt surprise me if autobooting is just something that the tegra X1 cant do, and would need a hardmod for that to work. But i would like to know is it hardware or software stopping it? Or is it possible, but people think someone is on that already? Is someone on that already, or has the people who knows how to code havent tried?

Edit: I also wouldnt mind if i still need the computer if i want to start injecting the cfw.

Last edited by shakkar23,

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
I agree with you that such a method would be convenient but I don't think it would go without modifying/corrupting the system files (maybe a la autorcm!) whereupon you only boot into CFW.
Now if your console is banned and all you want is CFW though...that might actually be a viable option:unsure:

Custom firmware is good and all, but having to go to the computer, android phone (suprisingly), or to plug in something that you have to pay for is much, seeing that the 3ds could do it. I dont know the limitations of the switch so it wouldnt surprise me if autobooting is just something that the tegra X1 cant do, and would need a hardmod for that to work. But i would like to know is it hardware or software stopping it? Or is it possible, but people think someone is on that already? Is someone on that already or has the people that code havent tried

shakkar23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im sure there is a way to have cfw booted up while not having them enabled the entire time. On the 3ds i was able to turn them off to not get banned.
I agree with you that such a method would be convenient but I don't think it would go without modifying/corrupting the system files (maybe a la autorcm!) whereupon you only boot into CFW.
Now if your console is banned and all you want is CFW though...that might actually be a viable option:unsure:

James310

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardware yes but extremely difficult (soldering very small pins) , software is only a theory and that only theory works only for fw1.0 which not a lot of people have , any fw past that might be impossible

shakkar23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was more of on the page of autobooting the payloads instead of just the recovery mode.
As today, it is not possible, since you need first to boot a payload, that, or you can corrupt your Switch using Bricc Mii, and VOILA!, auto RCM every boot.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Auto RCM has sadly nothing to do with OP is posting here, it won't magically make the Switch to coldboot directly into CFW :(.

Up to FW3.0.1 if I'm not mistaken there is actually a chance for a coldboot exploit, however I don't know if it ever will be released I think Nintendo is after who put it online and they are also hard to use (SciresM talked about it).

But he reported that theres actually a chance in the future for a coldboot for FW upto 3.01 and up to 4.1 there is another known vulnerability that maybe could achieve coldboot, but its even harder(though he said it was warmboot...).

1.0 has been reported to have coldboot support and might probably even have coldboot even at atmosphere's release.

Above FW4.1 there isn't anything reported as known in terms of vulnerabilities which doesn't mean later someone could find a new exploit, but, most likely those FW will probably never see the day for a full softmod coldbooting exploit as after the new Switch gets released I think most hackers will probably move for the new Switch trying to find new exploits 4 it and will probably kinda just be coding stuff for atmosphere and forget about discovering new vulnerabilities on the current Switch for FW above 4.1...

For last there also the chance that after someone find a vulnerability on the new upcoming Switch hardware revision, that might also work on the old Switch on current latest FWs, but most likely hypothetically talking, I don't think it will be coldboot...

ps: Best near future chances for a self boot hack is soldering a chip, Team Xecuter will probably show their modchip soon, there is sadly no ETA or new news about it... But community are also developing their own chips that anyone could make and solder, also Kate said that she will release the plans for a DIY cheap chip that anyone can make, but I don't know if she retired 4 ever from Switch hacking or not...

Last edited by guily6669,

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Auto RCM has sadly nothing to do with OP is posting here, it won't magically make the Switch to coldboot directly into CFW :(.

Up to FW3.0.1 if I'm not mistaken there is actually a chance for a coldboot exploit, however I don't know if it ever will be released I think Nintendo is after who put it online and they are also hard to use (SciresM talked about it).

But he reported that theres actually a chance in the future for a coldboot for FW upto 3.01 and up to 4.1

Scires already stated that there wont be NO Coldboot [At least from him], only a possible Warmboot.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But we could all theoretically downgrade to FW 1.0.0 as per the detailed tutorial posted.
The FW have to be hacked and re-hashed\re-signed, re-compiled sadly, because if you updated Nintendo burns efuses and the path is completely blocked 4 ever so you can't downgrade yet other than a few FW where efuses are not burned (not all updates burn them so that ones are compatible with each other).

And no we can't just modify Switch FW just like that as if we could, then we could simply sign a CFW too and no exploit needed, but that requires having all the hidden nintendo secrets the true master key for signing FW that they use and some other completely secret private nintendo stuff. Also ppl who release those keys get more heat than a whole warez site.

So to have FW1.0 you really need to have a Switch with FW1.0, what they can do is update to latest FW using the custom updater posted somewhere on this forum and then go back to 1.0 because its not officially updating the console by Nintendo method that burn the efuses.
Scires already stated that there wont be NO Coldboot [At least from him], only a possible Warmboot.
The thing is if he knows, there's probably other ppl that must know about it... SciresM is probably afraid of being sued, I wouldnt release it too if I was him.

However with time there might be someone crazy enough to release it as specially now hackers are on the rush release to see who's first and next step after atmosphere and SX is really coldboot software exploit and hardmod with modchip soldered or even a awesome revival of GW flashcart which will probably never happen this time...

Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: shakkar23

shakkar23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to make the switch automatically boot a certain payload if it is in recovery mode? And to have the payload you want to boot into be in the sdcard?

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
The only options for the time being are autorcm which can be a little daunting as you have to keep the switch charged whilst in cfw and never let the charge run down (as there is no option to charge whilst in autorcm and so if it runs out whilst in autorcm, there's no way to power the thing back on). Admittedly that doesn't answer your question 100% (as someone else has pointed out above) but would be quicker. The other option (as far as I'm aware) is to boot into cfw i.e. SX OS and then when you're finished, leave it in sleep mode and set it to charge. In effect you're never turning it off completely but sleep mode uses a minimal amount of battery to save the current state in ram. Once you resume from sleep, it resumes that state i.e. SX OS. - There is more technicality to it than I'm explaining, but that is the basic principle.

Last edited by GunzOfNavarone,

shakkar23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that while you put it in sleep mode it wont get rid of the custom firmware, just like the 3ds, like when you close that. I am asking on whether or not it is possible to do something similar to the 3ds and have it automatically boot into recovery mode, then autoboot into cfw in that way.

S3phi40T

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You have to remember it's based on Android so the same basic rules apply (fastboot and recovery).

People report issues with AutoRCM - battery drain/brick and unable to turn it off.
Let's stick with manual way for a bit now.

alexenochs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@_@ this question gets asked like every single day why couldnt you have just searched the forums and found your answer the scene is too new it took the 3ds a long ass time before it got a boot hack just be patient and please search for the answers to questions you have before actually asking the questions

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But we could all theoretically downgrade to FW 1.0.0 as per the detailed tutorial posted.

Only if you enter RCM every time you reboot the console and then connect to your computer/phone/etc.

I know that while you put it in sleep mode it wont get rid of the custom firmware, just like the 3ds, like when you close that. I am asking on whether or not it is possible to do something similar to the 3ds and have it automatically boot into recovery mode, then autoboot into cfw in that way.

Only if you have extra hardware connected, like a phone/computer/wifi dongle/sx pro etc. It is possible for that hardware to be installed inside the case, a few people have been working on it but I don't remember seeing an example.

Maybe the current methods aren't inconvenient enough?

I'm thinking of buying one of these
https://openwrt.org/toh/unbranded/a5-v11

and flashing this.
https://github.com/DavidBuchanan314/fusee-lede/releases

Although you might choose to put the money towards a SX Pro instead.

Last edited by smf,

shakkar23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to make sure the switch doesnt need an manual way of doing it the entire time of its lifespan. As far as im aware the psp needs manual booting as well
@_@ this question gets asked like every single day why couldnt you have just searched the forums and found your answer the scene is too new it took the 3ds a long ass time before it got a boot hack just be patient and please search for the answers to questions you have before actually asking the questions

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.