Can no longer access e-shop

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by jchillin111, Aug 24, 2018.

1. jchillin111
    OP

jchillin111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2018
    United States
    So I recently got CBHC, and I do own a good amount of games via the e-shop, and I was trying to get on, but I got an error saying I couldn't connect to the e-shop.

Is it possibly because I set up a block to all Wii U updates via:
    1. Primary DNS = 168.235.92.108
    2. Secondary DSN = 81.4.127.20
    Some games that I legitimately own require updates, and to update some of these games, I gotta go to the e-shop. What should I do and how can I fix this so I can update some of my games?

Also will I still be able to play any of my games online (such as Super Smash Bros. or Mario Kart 8)?

I hope I'll be able to access and download some more titles from the e-shop soon! I hope someone can guide me through this! Thank you!

2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    if it's blocking any of these sites: cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net, cbvc.nintendo.net, .cdn.shop.wii.com, .wup.shop.nintendo.net, .c.shop.nintendowifi.net, .deploy.static, .akamaitechnologies.com, .deploy.akamaitechnologies.com (probably just the ones with shop in the url), the eshop will be blocked even if you use nnu patcher. I'm not sure if those dns are blocking it or not though. iirc, the update blocker dns should not be blocking eshop access.

jchillin111 likes this.
  3. jchillin111
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2018
    United States
    Ok cool. I haven't set up any other protection other than the DNS, so I don't know why this is happening.

I just tested my Mario Maker game, and that works fine online, I havent had any issues at all with that. Im going to remove the DNS tomorrow and Ill let you know how it goes.

If anyone else has an explanation or fix for this, please post it!

4. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Ok so here is what is happening.

Any time anyone accesses the eshop there WiiU checks to see if its on the latest firmware before loading the eshop. As you are blocking updates your WiiU cant do this firmware check so the eshop will refuse to load.

You nned to download a WiiU app called NNU patcher whick will bypass the firmware check and the eashop will load and your games will update.

jchillin111 likes this.
  5. jchillin111
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2018
    United States
    Do you know where I can get this or the proper guide to install it?

6. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    jchillin111 likes this.
  7. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    Me I just kept my wii U on Google DNS
    Makes the Call of Duty Games better Online..

jchillin111 likes this.
  8. jchillin111
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2018
    United States
    Why this DNS? Does this block updates and what is the advantage?

SuperDan likes this.
  9. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    it won't block updates .... nope .. but i really doubt there will be another update for wiiU .. Nintendo is all about the switch now ,, ... the google DNS just makes playing online faster for me .. & also downloading updates for games ( Minecraft always has a new update ) ...

10. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    you should be able to use nnu patcher with the dns that blocks udpates. the proxy, on the other hand, will block acccess even with nnu patcher which is why I thought it might be that. it might be something as simple as using nnu patcher. I guess I should've asked if you blocking updates instead of assuming that you were. :(

SuperDan likes this.
  11. jchillin111
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2018
    United States
    Alright, i might just turn off the update protection and take my risks. NNU Patcher is just another thing to download.

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You can safely update. CBHC works fine on 5.5.2 and there aren't likely to be any more updates unless they decide they want to apply the same eShop protection they did to the 3DS.

You can block updates without blocking eShop though. I blocked only the bare minimum in my router and eShop still works while updates are blocked. Not sure why the DNS servers available block more than what's necessary.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Aug 24, 2018