Hardware Can nintendo break Arm9LoaderHax?

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
To answer your question, yes they can, but no they can't. If your chosen CFW running alongside A9LH isn't protecting the FIRM's, then yes, Nintendo could release an update which could either result in a brick or render your A9LH hack useless. However, there are a few methods which one could use to recover from that.

1; The end user could just run Decrypt9 and restore a backed up nand.bin. Of course the end user would need to have Decrypt9 already setup to boot via L+R or what ever button configuration they want.
2; The end user could simply restore a backed up nand.bin by utilizing a hard mod.
3; An entry point to run Sysupdater to enable the user to downgrade from the new stock firmware to a much earlier firmware. This method is less likely if Nintendo decide to alter the native_firm.

These are all points that I've seen around this forum. With a quick search, you would of been able to find the answer your looking for. I might be slightly off mark on the above outcomes. However, at least I did some research before asking a question.

Last edited by dg_dex,
Reactions: bowser

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
In theory, they could, but at this point in the 3DS's life-cycle, it's not very likely that they'll devote much effort to stopping it. CFW users make up a small portion of the entire 3DS userbase, and the next console (NX) is on the way within a year or so, so they're most likely focusing their attention on that. I'll guess that they'll patch svchax/memchunkhax2.1/memchunkhax3 (whatever you want to call it), and browserhax/menuhax as those rise again, but probably won't do much more than that.

Reactions: PacPera and peteruk

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
How if the user's A9LH got overwritten? I don't think this is possible.

Well I thought the exact same as yourself until a few days back when I was corrected in someone else's thread. I was told that Decrypt9 boots well before the Nand. Therefor, Nintendo would only strip away the CFW from booting. I have a hard time believing this too. I'll try and find the thread that I was corrected in.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
It would be very difficult for Nintendo to bork A9L. They could temporarily block it with a firmware update that patches Arm9LoaderHax and uses a new key for FIRM encryption. But because of the OTP being compromized, one can just decrypt the secret sector again and get the new key. Unlike before there won't be a long wait time at all before emunand/latest FIRM support on CFW is available. Nintendo is pretty screwed in that regard. They can prevent downgrading of non exploitable consoles. But ones that have already been exploited and have A9L will be hard for Nintendo to stop at this stage.

They can try and change how the secret sector is encrypted. But not sure if that's even possible at this stage.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I thought the exact same as yourself until a few days back when I was corrected in someone else's thread. I was told that Decrypt9 boots well before the Nand. Therefor, Nintendo would only strip away the CFW from booting. I have a hard time believing this too. I'll try and find the thread that I was corrected in.
Unless they're a reputable source. Don't listen. They're wrong. It doesn't just strip away cfw booting. It removes a9lh. That's why one of the ways to return to stock is by updating without firm patching.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The issue right now is all the current firmware are running on 10.4 FIRM, so we we really don't fully know if A9LH can work past that. According to the nerd, CFW with Firm0/1 protection will protect A9LH from being broken with an update, but really only time will tell.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Unless they're a reputable source. Don't listen. They're wrong. It doesn't just strip away cfw booting. It removes a9lh. That's why one of the ways to return to stock is by updating without firm patching.

Doing so on N3DS will brick you. That is only "safe" on O3DS (can someone with a hard-modded O3DS confirm this?).

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doing so on N3DS will brick you. That is only "safe" on O3DS (can someone with a hard-modded O3DS confirm this?).
Oh really? Huh. I have an o3ds, so I've never had to worry about that. You're smarter than me, and I was wondering, how does an update without firm patching remove a9lh? Yeah nooby question I know, but I've never actually figured it out.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh really? Huh. I have an o3ds, so I've never had to worry about that. You're smarter than me, and I was wondering, how does an update without firm patching remove a9lh? Yeah nooby question I know, but I've never actually figured it out.

It bricks on N3DS because the N3DS has the "secret sector" where they hid the 9.6+ key, and A9LH corrupts that, so when regular FIRM would go to be decrypted, well, it'll be decrypted to garbage, which then translates into a brick. FIRM1, the backup partition, would also decrypt to garbage because of the corrupted key.

Moving on to the next question, updating without the protection would remove A9LH, because the protection prevents the FIRM from updating that part of NAND. I'm not entirely sure how it does it, but if I had to guess, it probably just skips to the end of that code, telling the OS that it installed already/everything is okay (so it's lying). Either that or it just tells the 3DS to go on to another part of the update altogether, not even needing to lie. Delebile, AHP_Person, or maybe even Aurora can probably elaborate further if you want to know the technical bit of it.

Reactions: Just Passing By

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the best thing Nintendo can do is to update Native FIRM so AuReiNAND and Cakes become incompatible with it (the firms will be protected from being written to) and force stuff like the menu to require the updated firm. this will temp brick people with SysNAND only CFW and break EmuNAND for 9.2 SysNAND + Updated EmuNAND users like myself until CFW is updated to support this.

EDIT:
The best way to annoy users would be to update the FIRM on every update and require critical apps to need that firm to run.

Last edited by driverdis,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-