Hacking Can Nintendo block flashed DS's from their WFC?

jmoe316

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think i am actually going to go ahead and flash my DS. I just wanted to make sure that if I play an authentic game over the Nintendo Wifi Connection, that I won't be banned or something silly because Nintendo detected my DS being flashed? Has anyone had any problems playing their original games like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc with a flashed DS and could this be something Nintendo could block in the future? Thanks!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I heard of issues with a few flash carts and wifi but not with flashme, issues with V4 flashme not withstanding.

Theoretically I suppose it is possible it has not happened yet. You can always run unflashme and return your DS to stock anyhow.

DJBurkey

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
Why should they though? Just because you have a modified BIOS does not definitely mean you are playing with illegal software. You could be using it solely for homebrew software. They are, however, blocking some ROMs.

teH XeRO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not possible as wifi settings are saved to the actual game cart and not the ds hardware. maybe with pointless amount of wasted funding could they do that...but nintendo needs the money, they arent gunna waste it on something like that

eightbitminiboss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
not possible as wifi settings are saved to the actual game cart and not the ds hardware. maybe with pointless amount of wasted funding could they do that...but nintendo needs the money, they arent gunna waste it on something like that

Eh, WiFi settings ARE in the DS. Any WiFi enabled game can get to those settings, it's not by cart.

teH XeRO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
o woops yeha i meant to say that it is cart specific in terms of friend code and whatnot...but i also thought where the wifi settings are saved in the hardware is different from where the firmware/bios are, so if flashing ur ds is supposed to be only modifying the firmware, than the wifi settings should remain untouched.

yatzr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why should they though? Just because you have a modified BIOS does not definitely mean you are playing with illegal software. You could be using it solely for homebrew software. They are, however, blocking some ROMs.
what ROMs are they blocking? I haven't heard of them blocking any.

shado blackstar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's possible, but they won't.

It was possible to modify the GBA BIOS to reject cartridges with certain headers, and wouldn't have taken any more to produce, but they didn't.

tshu

On epic journey, brb.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They won't. The reason Microsoft is allowed to deny you Live, is because when you sign up and pay for it, you are agreeing to their terms of service which specify that they can ban you if you have modded hardware.

Nintendo has no such terms of service anywhere that you have to sign to use WFC.

dfyb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They won't. The reason Microsoft is allowed to deny you Live, is because when you sign up and pay for it, you are agreeing to their terms of service which specify that they can ban you if you have modded hardware.

Nintendo has no such terms of service anywhere that you have to sign to use WFC.
this could easily be added to future games

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

If so, wouldn't we all have to re-sign up at the WFC site and agree? I don't see that happening since they want to keep everything free and easy to use.

leetdood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It'd seem that Nintendo doesn't particularly care about piracy, because, really, in the end it does get people to buy more game and more copies of the DS. I'm sure if they really wanted to they could prevent us from doing this much with the DS without some complicated hardmod or such. Hooray for Nintendo!

dfyb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If so, wouldn't we all have to re-sign up at the WFC site and agree? I don't see that happening since they want to keep everything free and easy to use.
no, like they could just create an agreement screen in the game before you connect to WFC.

but really, they don't even need to because there's nothing stopping them from blocking you anyway.

leetdood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
He's also right- Xbox Live needs an agreement screen because it's a pay-for service, but WFC is a free service. They can block anybody they wish to, for any reason (within reason) if they wish to.

skywarp

Trophies
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
He's also right- Xbox Live needs an agreement screen because it's a pay-for service, but WFC is a free service. They can block anybody they wish to, for any reason (within reason) if they wish to.

Not really, it's not like you buy a DS game and it has the secret ability to play on WFC; the shit is advertised. Meaning when you buy the game, you are in part playing for the ability to play it on WFC, they can't just block you out for no reason. If there was simply a sign-on screen that said "i agree to not modify my blah blah blah...nintendo reserves all rights to ban you from this service for any reason blah blah...press a to agree and connect to nintendo WFC or b to cancel and exit", nintendo would have full clearance, but they don't do that in any games yet, althou they probably will eventually, atleast on the wii.

Roms of coarse are a different story, if they detect that you are using anything other than a commercial copy of the game they have all the right in the world to deny you service. And they could easily ban roms, it's not that hard to tell someones using a pirated copy when a few thousand people are connected to WFC with the same copy of Mario Kart with the same serial, I'm not sure why they arn't doing anything about that yet.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo don't seem bothered about piracy. If they're loosing too much money they just release another version of the DS
laugh.gif

/me runs from angry mob

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Or a new version of Pokemon. Even with all the piracy (or because of it), Pokemon games make more money than all other games put together
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc