Can Nintendo block flashed DS's from their WFC?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by jmoe316, Jun 17, 2006.

Jun 17, 2006
  1. jmoe316
    OP

Newcomer jmoe316 Member

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    I think i am actually going to go ahead and flash my DS. I just wanted to make sure that if I play an authentic game over the Nintendo Wifi Connection, that I won't be banned or something silly because Nintendo detected my DS being flashed? Has anyone had any problems playing their original games like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc with a flashed DS and could this be something Nintendo could block in the future? Thanks!

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    I heard of issues with a few flash carts and wifi but not with flashme, issues with V4 flashme not withstanding.

Theoretically I suppose it is possible it has not happened yet. You can always run unflashme and return your DS to stock anyhow.

3. Keva

Member Keva GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    Im sure they could block flashed DS's if they wanted to because its basiclly a modified bios.

4. DJBurkey

Member DJBurkey GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    Why should they though? Just because you have a modified BIOS does not definitely mean you are playing with illegal software. You could be using it solely for homebrew software. They are, however, blocking some ROMs.

5. 5uck3rpunch

Member 5uck3rpunch Surf Monster!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I don't see it happening.....

6. teH XeRO

Member teH XeRO GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    not possible as wifi settings are saved to the actual game cart and not the ds hardware. maybe with pointless amount of wasted funding could they do that...but nintendo needs the money, they arent gunna waste it on something like that

7. tRiBaLmUnKy

Member tRiBaLmUnKy GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United States

Eh, WiFi settings ARE in the DS. Any WiFi enabled game can get to those settings, it's not by cart.

8. teH XeRO

Member teH XeRO GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    o woops yeha i meant to say that it is cart specific in terms of friend code and whatnot...but i also thought where the wifi settings are saved in the hardware is different from where the firmware/bios are, so if flashing ur ds is supposed to be only modifying the firmware, than the wifi settings should remain untouched.

9. yatzr

Member yatzr GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United States
    what ROMs are they blocking? I haven't heard of them blocking any.

10. shado blackstar

Member shado blackstar GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    It's possible, but they won't.

It was possible to modify the GBA BIOS to reject cartridges with certain headers, and wouldn't have taken any more to produce, but they didn't.

11. tshu

Member tshu On epic journey, brb.

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    They won't. The reason Microsoft is allowed to deny you Live, is because when you sign up and pay for it, you are agreeing to their terms of service which specify that they can ban you if you have modded hardware.

Nintendo has no such terms of service anywhere that you have to sign to use WFC.

12. dfyb

Newcomer dfyb Newbie

Featured Posts:
    United States
    this could easily be added to future games

13. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

Featured Posts:
    United States
    If so, wouldn't we all have to re-sign up at the WFC site and agree? I don't see that happening since they want to keep everything free and easy to use.

14. leetdood

Member leetdood GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    It'd seem that Nintendo doesn't particularly care about piracy, because, really, in the end it does get people to buy more game and more copies of the DS. I'm sure if they really wanted to they could prevent us from doing this much with the DS without some complicated hardmod or such. Hooray for Nintendo!

15. dfyb

Newcomer dfyb Newbie

Featured Posts:
    United States
    no, like they could just create an agreement screen in the game before you connect to WFC.

but really, they don't even need to because there's nothing stopping them from blocking you anyway.

16. leetdood

Member leetdood GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    He's also right- Xbox Live needs an agreement screen because it's a pay-for service, but WFC is a free service. They can block anybody they wish to, for any reason (within reason) if they wish to.

17. skywarp

Member skywarp GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Not really, it's not like you buy a DS game and it has the secret ability to play on WFC; the shit is advertised. Meaning when you buy the game, you are in part playing for the ability to play it on WFC, they can't just block you out for no reason. If there was simply a sign-on screen that said "i agree to not modify my blah blah blah...nintendo reserves all rights to ban you from this service for any reason blah blah...press a to agree and connect to nintendo WFC or b to cancel and exit", nintendo would have full clearance, but they don't do that in any games yet, althou they probably will eventually, atleast on the wii.

Roms of coarse are a different story, if they detect that you are using anything other than a commercial copy of the game they have all the right in the world to deny you service. And they could easily ban roms, it's not that hard to tell someones using a pirated copy when a few thousand people are connected to WFC with the same copy of Mario Kart with the same serial, I'm not sure why they arn't doing anything about that yet.

18. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    Nintendo don't seem bothered about piracy. If they're loosing too much money they just release another version of the DS [​IMG]

/me runs from angry mob

19. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Featured Posts:
    Croatia
    Or a new version of Pokemon. Even with all the piracy (or because of it), Pokemon games make more money than all other games put together [​IMG]

20. XxMxVxPxX

Member XxMxVxPxX GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United States
    why would they, its not like there getting ripped off [​IMG]